Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outdoorsy Girl needs Advice

Aspiring Member sarah_hillcrest's Avatar

Outdoorsy Girl needs Advice

So late this summer my love of dressing really blossomed. It opened up a lot of positive outcomes, but it has led to one big negative. I'm stuck in my house. Lately I've experimented with going outside, and so far so good. This week I've been mulling over going hiking Sunday morning, which is something I would generally do as opposed to spending the day doing makeup and looking at myself in the mirror. Thing is I want to go in a skirt.

A couple weeks ago I went on my normal morning walk around town in girl mode it was before first light but there were lots of people out, I didn't get a second glance, BUT, it was cold and I was bundled up with a scarf wrapped around my face. The temps Sunday are going to be in the upper 60s and maybe low 70s for the return hike.

The odds of me running into another person on the trail I'm thinking about hiking are very low, but if I encounter redneck horseback riders it could be unpleasant, that is a very remote chance.

The other consideration is what to wear, my wife would never wear a dress or skirt hiking. I think that if I did a good job with my presentation and acted natural I would be fine even if I did see someone on the trail, but I would be more comfortable if I were wearing more clothes and had a scarf around my neck for warmth.

I would most likely clean off the makeup and take off my wig for the return drive back home. Is this a terrible idea? I don't think I run to much risk and I'm looking forward to taking some pics at a particular location.

Silver Member
    Other than my grandmothers who never owned pants, they were born in the late 1800s, I think it would draw attention to you. Women today wear pants more than dresses or skirts. Dressed appropriately you will not draw attention as much. A woman alone in a remote area will also draw attention. Why not take a hike around a large mall? I don't think the rednecks will bother you. I find it interesting that everyone is afraid of rednecks. I've found liberals to be condescending more often. If you don't fit their idea of who you should be how dare you. I have redneck friends that know I dress. They are still friends no matter how I'm dressed.

Would a GG go hiking by herself?.....especially wearing a skirt?

I used to hike a lot in the mountains, in drab, and I never went by myself. I just think you should always have someone with you.

Just my two cents.

Anna
    My favorite dress is a Dirndl.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Had a GG friend that invited my female persona to go hiking with her so I put on my hip pads and thought what to wear ??????
    I decided since we were going in the woods I put on my old military tiger striped BDU bottoms a olive green cami and the matching tiger stripe blouse.
    Put on my ladies black hiking boots and off I went.
    I did wear a bra and small forms,light make up some eyeliner and wig pulled back in a pony tail with a camo scuni.
    When I met her at the parking area she squealed OMG that outfit is so cute and you look way better than me.
    Have fun whatever you decide on wearing

last time I did any serious hiking I was wearing a pair of brown leather short shorts, a white gauze short sleeve shirt over a white tank with Vibram-soled hiking boots with insulates socks..and a backpack. Not a skirt....

Quote Originally Posted by lingerieLiz View Post
    Other than my grandmothers who never owned pants, they were born in the late 1800s, I think it would draw attention to you. Women today wear pants more than dresses or skirts. Dressed appropriately you will not draw attention as much. A woman alone in a remote area will also draw attention. Why not take a hike around a large mall? I don't think the rednecks will bother you. I find it interesting that everyone is afraid of rednecks. I've found liberals to be condescending more often. If you don't fit their idea of who you should be how dare you. I have redneck friends that know I dress. They are still friends no matter how I'm dressed.
    Yes that's what I was thinking about the skirt, yet I love seeing a woman in a skirt, and am particularly fond of the "hippie chick" look. Thanks for the advice, but my goal is really not to see anyone, hiking around a mall is so far from what I want to do.

In regards to rednecks your experiences with them are very different from mine, and of course there are a-hole liberals, though I'm not sure why that's relevant. I'm not really worried about condescension, to be looked down upon would be fine with me. I'm concerned with outright hostility. The one time I was punched in my life was when I was defending a friend from a Redneck KKK member, oh he's a cop now by the way.

Perhaps we are using redneck in a different way. I know lots of "country folk," who are into country stuff and I don't really consider them rednecks. I use the term redneck to refer to the racist and homophobic country folk. Sorry if I offended you.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Stouf View Post
    Would a GG go hiking by herself?.....especially wearing a skirt?

I used to hike a lot in the mountains, in drab, and I never went by myself. I just think you should always have someone with you.

Just my two cents.

Anna
    This is an interesting thread of discussion. My Mom loves to walk by herself and in infuriates my Dad, and they've argued about it for years, but my Mom isn't wearing a skirt when she goes. I love to hike by myself, I enjoy hiking with small groups and hate hiking with large groups. Now listen, don't take this the wrong way, but most of you folks are way to scarred. Don't go hiking by yourself in Syria maybe, definitely not Saudia Arabia because it will probably get you stoned, but in the USA as a man, what the heck? Now if I was doing some technical climbing or something that might be different.

Barbra Savage rode her bicycle around the world, partially alone, and was killed in a traffic accident while riding near her house. I met Julian Buhring while she was racing her bike across the US solo, no skirt there either.

Why don't you just wear what women wear when they go hiking? The pic in the link below is pretty typical, although I'd wear pants and not shorts. I hate the mosquito bites and scratches from twigs, etc, when I hike.

http://womensquest.com/wq/wp-content...865672397.jpeg

Don't forget to put sunblock on your face, and bring water to keep yourself hydrated!
    Reine

If you are serious about hiking in a skirt - look at the skirt sport running skirts (they often have built in shorts or yoga pants and some ladies run marathons in them)

Sarah, the same appealed to me, and i have achieved it, to a limited extent, on a couple of occasions, and loved it. I wanted to bag some out of the way hills in the Lake District and thought there would be nobody there. I set off in shorts then changed into a short stretchy skirt. As i reached one summit I saw a chap heading my way. I sat down over the front of the top and had a brew and waited. Unfortunately he hadn't quite left when i stood up. Nothing was said and i let him get ahead start before starting to walk. Thought I caught odd backward glance from him. The i saw a large group heading my way so changed back to shorts.

GG walking in a skirt is very unusual and may draw it's own curiosity. I have seen a few in the Alps and one or two here. I saw one young woman in a long light summer jersey dress which seemed to work very well on one of our rare warm summer days.There are quite a few on American Amazon so there must be a market.

I have walked on my own in some very remote parts of Britain, though no doubt it doesn't compare with North American back country. Judging by FB groups there are a few GG here happy and confident being out on the hills on their own.

I often wear a skirt when out walking in the woods. I usually wear something that would pass as a kilt and I go in male mode - of course what I'm wearing underneath is very feminine. Sometimes I don't bother with the pseudo-kilt and wear a knee length or longer skirt (better for off-trail hiking, in my experience), again, in full man-in-a-skirt mode. I've encountered other walkers on a couple occasions and have never had a comment made - yes, some backward glances but I would do the same! Red Necks? I've never encountered anyone who hassled me, I'm a bit of a red neck myself.
    Last edited by annecwesley; 11-04-2017 at 06:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bridget thronton View Post
    If you are serious about hiking in a skirt - look at the skirt sport running skirts (they often have built in shorts or yoga pants and some ladies run marathons in them)
    Bridgett you took the words right out of my mouth.
    Jill

I'm having some doubts about this now. It seemed simple and uncomplicated in my mind, but now it seems ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    Why don't you just wear what women wear when they go hiking? The pic in the link below is pretty typical, although I'd wear pants and not shorts. I hate the mosquito bites and scratches from twigs, etc, when I hike.

http://womensquest.com/wq/wp-content...865672397.jpeg

Don't forget to put sunblock on your face, and bring water to keep yourself hydrated!
    It's going to be too warm for pants, but I haven't shaved my legs below my knee. I also don't own any girl shorts. I tend to stay out of the woods in the summer months because of poision ivy which we have massively and I get bad. Mosquitos too. I usually start getting back in the woods in October to mountain bike, trail run and hike. Thanks for the tips on water and sunblock.

Quote Originally Posted by bridget thronton View Post
    I'll check those out.

I'm out and not afraid to go anywhere I want. You know where you live so use your own judgement. My friend's have asked me to go hiking, it doesn't appeal to me, l did a lot of backpacking when I was young. I do go to the beach by myself. Where I go it's not unusual to see women there by their self. I have been yelled at from passing cars twice, and one time stood between one of my friends and this bully. Some of my friends are rednecks so I know what you are saying. They know me as Jean a transgender person, as all my friends do. Where I live we have ticks that carry lime disease, so it's best to be completely covered up if you go hiking. One last word skort.

Quote Originally Posted by annecwesley View Post
    I often wear a skirt when out walking in the woods. I usually wear something that would pass as a kilt and I go in male mode - of course what I'm wearing underneath is very feminine. Sometimes I don't bother with the pseudo-kilt and wear a knee length or longer skirt (better for off-trail hiking, in my experience), again, in full man-in-a-skirt mode. I've encountered other walkers on a couple occasions and have never had a comment made - yes, some backward glances but I would do the same! Red Necks? I've never encountered anyone who hassled me, I'm a bit of a red neck myself.
    I really like the skirt and socks look in your picture. I'm not going off trail and I think that from a technical standpoint I would be fine wearing a skirt, but I've never hiked in one.

Again I think perhaps there is a disconnect on the word red neck, this is my fault and I apologize.

REDNECK: a working-class white person, especially a politically reactionary one from a rural area

Here's an example encounter I've had with a true redneck. Me and some friends are out mountain biking, we are wearing tights and jackets. A group of horseback riders nearly all with Keystone Light in their hands rides by, most of them look down with amusement, one of them whistles, and the next guy says, "What's up faggots." Now I've had lots of and lots of positive encounters when riding and hiking with rural white people, since almost everyone here is rural and white.

So in my mind, if you are the kind of person who would don a skirt and go hiking in the woods you are not what I consider a redneck.

Anyway I regret using that word. To me it's negative, but to others they may see it as a positive and leave out the politically and culturally reaction part. My bad.
    Last edited by sarah_hillcrest; 11-04-2017 at 09:03 AM.

Reality Check
    Quote Originally Posted by sarah_hillcrest View Post
    .................., but if I encounter redneck horseback riders it could be unpleasant, .....................
    And why is that?
    Krisi

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    You think too much, just wear a denim skirt with hiking boots, knee socks.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    And why is that?
    They don't appreciate diversity? They would feel threatened by my unique mix of seductive femininity tempered with a strong edge masculinity LOL In confusion they may lash out?

Quote Originally Posted by Majella St Gerard View Post
    You think too much, just wear a denim skirt with hiking boots, knee socks.
    Good advice.
    Last edited by sarah_hillcrest; 11-04-2017 at 09:23 AM.

Well call me stupid, but I hike solo all the time in both male and female mode. If I didn't, I'd almost never get hiking. I've never once had any issues on trail. Really, how long do you have to even interact with someone passing the other way. Most people are focused on themselves and I don't even always get a head nod.

Echoing what others have said, love the skort and the hiking skit. If you're in something sporty and not some flowery thing you'll look like you belong. Picked up one of these on sale earlier in the year. If you're worried about sticking out, well this looks the part because it's made for what you're doing.
    https://www.zappos.com/p/columbia-sa...6123/color/983

I put rednecks in the same category as bears. They shouldn't be a problem, but if they are, that's why I carry bear spray!

I also don't own any girl shorts.
    You don't need girl shorts. Look at what they're wearing, their shorts are just like men's, except maybe a bit shorter. You could turn up the cuffs on your boy shorts to produce the same effect.

It's going to be too warm for pants, but I haven't shaved my legs below my knee.
    Wouldn't you need to shave in order to wear a dress? Dresses and shorts show the same amount of leg, except shorts are better out in nature ... more protection against bugs getting to where you don't want bugs to get to, and much more practical especially if you need to climb over tree stumps, over rocks, or whatever.

I tend to stay out of the woods in the summer months because of poision ivy which we have massively and I get bad. Mosquitos too. I usually start getting back in the woods in October to mountain bike, trail run and hike.
    Didn't you say you wanted to go for a hike? What sort of setting were you planning to hike in. Also, it's November now, and so you should be good to go. If you think it is still too hot and you don't want to get poison ivy, just get a pair of light nylon trail pants (and wear a long sleeve shirt). Again, the men's styles and women's styles are unisex, so it doesn't really matter what gender pants (or shirt) you get.

Good luck and have fun! And don't forget the bug spray!
    Reine

Sarah,
    Correct me if I'm wrong on this but I think there might be another dynamic going on here. In the last sentence of your original post you said: "I don't think I run much risk, I'm looking forward to taking some pics at a particular location".

Like you, I am a photographer too. I think you might know of a place that offers the perfect back drop for a picture of you in a particular skirt outfit that you like. It's hard to resist the lure of the opportunity to create the picture you have in your mind. It's all about the art, the picture. Like I said, I'm a photographer too. By the way, I've seen you create some nice work.

The first part of your sentence: "I don't think I run much risk", is hard for me to comment on. I don't know where you live and where you want to hike. I guess it's up to you to evaluate the risk. Are there wild animals?....rattle snakes?....other hazards? Is there a way for you to call for help if you get mulled by a bear? Once when I was hiking with three other people, we came too close to a mountain lion.

So I guess the question is: How much risk do want to take to get the picture you want?

If you decide to do it, please put a post on this thread as soon as you get home so we'll know you're safe.

Have fun,

Anna
    Last edited by Anna Stouf; 11-04-2017 at 01:38 PM.
    My favorite dress is a Dirndl.

I'd wear a short denim skirt, but certainly not any kind of sheer hose, sneakers or light hiking shoes, thick tights and maybe a turtle neck top. I want to do this myself.

Banned Read only
    Sarah,
    This is a subject close to my own heart, when I move to my new home what will I wear for pastimes like walking the dog/hiking etc . As you say most GGs don't wear skirts , like you I'm not over the moon about continuing to wear trousers/jeans . I guess one way round it is use colour , I've been scouring the charity shops for suitable jackets, so far I've not found anything suitable. I may get some wellies with a femme style , a hat might be tricky with a wig so I might have to accept a hooded jacket . Hiking boots are usually hard to distinguish , but a nice scarf can look very femme with matching gloves .Depending on your waist line a jacket with a fitted waist gives a femme shape as do sleeveless body warmers .

As for meeting other people , for me that has to happen , no getting away from it !

I can relate. I am not sure where you are, but in the Rockies many women wear skirts/ skorts while hiking in the summer. You might be hard pressed to see any now though. When I go pretty hiking I wear shorts from the women’s aisle but you would never know they are women’s unless you read the label. Somehow I would rather wear a size 16 than a 38 waist...but anyway. Where your femininity will shine is what top you go with. There are some very nice pretty tops made by a variety of outdoor companies. I have a few scoop neck t shirts or if warm enough racer back tops that are fun to wear. The wig gets a Little sweaty but then I don’t wear a hat.
    As for the males who don’t understand diversity, that is an issue in more places than just on the trail. I have run into them both on a bike and in a skirt. In the middle of the day I have had no problems. However, I would not do this in the evening. And, I do bring a long sleeve (womens) shirt that looks pretty plain that can be thrown on top of my cute shirt.

Go out and have fun. Pick a safe place and then tell us how much fun you had.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Sarah I have attended TG support groups in the mountains of Eastern Ky and not in larger towns but small rural towns like Inez, Paintsville, Harlan, Vicco Ky.
    Very small towns and all the people were very nice to us even Bubba the redneck at the gas station was very respectful to our band of TG girls.
    These areas would be considered ultra back woods redneck but we never had any issues or anything hateful said to us the entire 3 days we were in the area.
    The older people were just as nice as well.
    I'm a gay TG redneck myself and I'm white so I guess I am to be judged in with some bad people?
    I'm working class and conservative too so I guess that makes me a bad person.
    Are you scared to confront people and be yourself?
    Sounds like it.

Silver Member
    Sara, I took it that you were planning on hiking in a somewhat remote area. I don't recommend hiking alone and suggest wearing appropriate clothing, male or female. I have worn women's clothes while hiking. Much of the time quite obviously fem. I have gone bird hunting in a skirt and full fem. It was a long suede skirt on a private lease with good ole country boys and girls, "rednecks" that knew I wore women's clothes. They were surprised I actually did it. I had a beautiful jacket, cable stitch sweater, knee high leather boots and a 20 gauge shotgun. I've also gone fishing in all fem clothes including bra and panties. Enjoy your hike.

By the way I wasn't saying that all of any group were bad or good. Every group is composed of a bell curve. I would never support an alt-right person. Are you sure that the police officer was in fact a KKK member. Most officers I've known have had no use for them since the 60s.
    Last edited by lingerieLiz; 11-04-2017 at 08:16 PM.