Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Outdoorsy Girl needs Advice

One of my friends who's on this forum hike 14 thousand footers in girl mode. I'll have to find some of her pics to see what she wore.

https://www.crossdressers.com/forums...ion&highlight=
    Last edited by Sometimes Steffi; 11-04-2017 at 09:51 PM.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Hi,
    Being very outdoorsy myself, I don't think you have any need to worry about going dressed fem on a hike if your comfortable with that. The part of the country I love in anyways is pretty open about that sort of thing, and if someone had a problem with it they would most likely keep their mouth shut. But I do live in a very liberal state and near a state that allows public nudity. So people see these sort of things often. If you're worried about going out alone you should let someone know your out hiking and give them a time frame of when you should be back, so that if something does happen like you get hurt in a fall they can let the authorities know to look for you. Also if you do go it this time of year be aware that there may be hunters in the woods, so avoid wearing white and definitely wear some orange. Just my two cents anyways.

Aspiring Member sarah_hillcrest's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    Sarah I have attended TG support groups in the mountains of Eastern Ky and not in larger towns but small rural towns like Inez, Paintsville, Harlan, Vicco Ky.
    Very small towns and all the people were very nice to us even Bubba the redneck at the gas station was very respectful to our band of TG girls.
    These areas would be considered ultra back woods redneck but we never had any issues or anything hateful said to us the entire 3 days we were in the area.
    The older people were just as nice as well.
    I'm a gay TG redneck myself and I'm white so I guess I am to be judged in with some bad people?
    I'm working class and conservative too so I guess that makes me a bad person.
    Are you scared to confront people and be yourself?
    Sounds like it.
    That's cool you could be yourself in Eastern Kentucky, which is probably the exact same socio economic level I'm dealing with. In my mind one could not really be a gay TG redneck. Obviously you use the word redneck in a different way that focuses on the rural aspect. I have apologized for that and I certainly wouldn't lump you into the group of hateful rednecks that I've met.

I wonder about you conservatism, are you economically conservative and socially conservative? Would not being both gay and TG mean put you at odds with your political group. I'm all for economic conservation, as I am also for environmental conservation and I'm liberal about peoples social lives. For some reason the conservative party is historically good at blowing budgets, ignoring environmental issues, and applying Judeo-Christian beliefs to everyone's social life, so I find them kind of strangely not that conservative.

I am also very scared to confront people and be myself.

Wear a warm top and your best skinny jeans.
    Top them off with a nice pair of knee length boots.

Give yourself complete covering to avoid scratches from foliage and wear good wearing waterproof boots for when you go into four wheel drive in the rough country you may encounter.

If you are wearing a wig PIN IT DOWN...... There are too many bushes waiting to remove it for you. :-)

Oh! Do have fun.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley Sims View Post
    Wear a warm top and your best skinny jeans.
    Top them off with a nice pair of knee length boots.

Give yourself complete covering to avoid scratches from foliage and wear good wearing waterproof boots for when you go into four wheel drive in the rough country you may encounter.

If you are wearing a wig PIN IT DOWN...... There are too many bushes waiting to remove it for you. :-)

Oh! Do have fun.
    Well its warmer then forecast, definite shorts weather. It's already 70 before daylight. I still haven't decided what to wear, but thanks for the wig tip.

Aspiring Member
    A few women do wear skirts in these situations in the UK. Skirts or shorts are OK if you are on a beach or on wide tracks but if your legs will be in contact with vegetation I would advise against the skirt. There is not only the danger of scratches or stings from vegetation, but of ticks and other biting creatures. Ticks can carry diseases like Lyme Disease and you really don't want that. Cover the legs.

A skirt may not be a good idea if there are ticks with lime disease where you hike. leave no way a tick can get to your skin.
    Angie

I hike and backpack in the Sierra Nevada of California a lot. Most female hikers I encounter on the trail just wear shorts and some sort of shirt. What distinguishes them as female are small items such as ear studs or a simple necklace and generally they are more careful in the choice of colors. I have come across a man hiking in what looked like a skirt or it could have been a khaki kilt. I have also met women on the trail who are in full makeup. That is rare and is a surprise especially as makeup has to be secured in the bear barrel along with food at night as its scent may attract them. The "hiking community" is a broad and tolerant group.

In open country on a hot day I have hiked in shorts and a camisole or just a very long T-sirt that covers the panties I am wearing. I have never had a problem or been embarrassed. So if you choose clothing that is appropriate for hiking, whether it looks slightly feminine or not, you are unlikely to attract attention and as for the red-necked horse riders, I have never heard or encountered such beasts.

doesn't seem too complicated to me...if u wanna hike en femme...wear leggings

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Boots that go 6 inches above the ankle with knee socks too.
    Tall boots like that keep you a bit safer from snake bites. I know this from experience in the bush or on the trail.
    I had a cottonmouth hit me and got his fangs caught in the webbing of my boot.
    He hit me so hard it left my ankle bruised for weeks.

I find if you watch what the GGs wear
    and where they go you have less chance
    of problems . Mostly the Ladies here
    in Northern
    Texas wear shorts in summer , jeans or
    leggings in winter . With a tee , possibly a shirt over that
    or a jacket in cooler weather .
    Along with boots , tennies or sandles .
    Add makeup and a big
    smile and you are good to go.
    It is more fun and safer if you take a friend along

JAS

Well I did it

I appreciate all the hiking advice, and caution, but the hiking wasn't my worry, it was the hiking as female. I've done quite a bit of hiking, and in fact the trails I hiked today I've ran on in the dark with a flashlight. I sleep out here in a hammock a few times a year, it's pretty safe and at 7 miles it's a pretty good workout for me.

Ended up taking my big camera bag and few different things to wear. I borrowed some of my wife's capri fitness tights under a long skirt, and wore my own long sleeve smart wool top. ALso borrowed a very girly bag of my wives since I had no pockets! How can you deal with life without pockets? Left house and before I even got out of town one guy had checked me out as I drove by or did a double take trying to figure out what he just saw.

I arrived at the trailhead and it was packed at 7AM. BOY SCOUTS, wonderful. No one around and their wagon emblem indicated a troop from far away, so I summoned up all my courage and just took off. Figured there was a good chance they would be on a different trail anyway.

15 minutes in I can't figure out why I am wearing the leggings. I'm getting hot. I stop and take them off. Wow, now that's more like, it was windy and the air moving around my legs felt wonderful. This is why I wanted to wear a skirt. It's casuing me no hiking issues.

40 minutes in I hear voices, too late, BOY SCOUTS. My instinct is to dash off the trail and hide, but I just smile and keep walking. "Stop, there's a lady down the trail," the lead one says. They get off the trail and kind of look around, there appears to be only two. I come by and they say hello. I reply back "hi" trying not to sound like a guy trying to talk like a girl. "Have a nice day," they say as I continue on. "Thanks guys," I say. Wow, those are some really well mannered boys, I didn't even hear a snicker as I continued down the trail.

5 minutes later I hear laughter coming down the trail. There are big rock formations to my right and I decided to just go off trail and explore. I got behind a rock formation and waited for them to go by. Then I continue down into the hollow and while I'm exploring the entire pack comes by with their leaders. It's at least 20. I take a few pics and then walk on off trail and luck into another trail that I'm pretty sure will take me where I want to go. I guessed right and made shortcut.

2 hours later I arrive at the bluff and start taking pictures. I'm pretty much carelessly changing clothes and posing, but this is a secluded out of the way bluff and as luck would have it I'm alone for over an hour.

I clear off my makeup and take out my forms, then put on shorts to return. I figured there would be more people out, but the biggest thing was my wig was burning up and I needed to cool off. I stop and take a few photos of myself and am stunned. I still look a bit like a girl. My manboobs are obviously there, I've got pink socks and I've been shaving my legs a bit, though not completely, plus I still have quite a bit of makeup on my face. I'm a bit freaked out.

20 minutes from the car I encounter two horseback riders, just look like regular guys. "Hi guys," I say in a good deep man voice. "Hey, I think I know your dad," They guys are both friends of my Dad and I also know them both, so we talk for 5 minutes. I had tried getting more makeup off my face, and I'm just hoping these guys don't notice anything funny., but it all seems good. I'm so thankful that I changed clothes.

So I don't know of the boyscouts figured me for a man in a dress, but they were nice; still I was glad I avoided the entire troop. I think that may have been far more then I could handle. I may do this again but i doubt it, could have been disastrous if those guys had seen me prancing around the woods in a skirt and told my Dad. So wild, I could do this hike 50 times and see no one, but the one time I do it as a girl...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sarah_hillcrest; 11-05-2017 at 03:15 PM.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Nice pics and it seems a nice day to hike.
    Outfit fit the female hiker roll very well.

Wow! Sarah,
    I’m so happy for you! You had a good day, you’re home safe, and you got good pictures.
    You gotta feel good.
    Anna
    My favorite dress is a Dirndl.

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Stouf View Post
    Wow! Sarah,
    I’m so happy for you! You had a good day, you’re home safe, and you got good pictures.
    You gotta feel good.
    Anna
    Yes and no, I'm glad I got to dress up and not sit in the house all day, that was really nice. I'm also upset with myself, things could have gone so wrong, I wasn't confident enough in my appearance to really be seen, I just had this feeling like I was a phony. When I went off trail I could have ended up lost, though I know the area pretty well.

Sarah,
    Don’t be too hard on yourself.
    You looked good. Your presentation is fine.
    Nothing went wrong because today was YOUR day.
    If you want to think about things to change or improve, that’s okay, that’s progress.
    Just be happy about today.
    Anna
    My favorite dress is a Dirndl.

Banned Read only
    I see no issue with hiking alone, back in my moutian bikeing days I used to frequently see single GG's riding the mountian trails alone. Even one crazy GG that was always alone and never wore a helmet in probably the entire decade I was riding.

But back to your original topic. Check out some outdoors stores like REI. There's some really cute hiking skirts, skorts, and dresses. All in high-tech fabrics just begging to be worn.

Thanks Anna.

I was at work today and suddenly I realized at the exact some 24 hours ago I was walking around dressed as a girl, had to convince myself that it really happened.

Just asked my wife about hiking alone. She's having some health issues right now, but a few years ago she was hiking alone a lot while I was at work. I asked if she ever worried being a woman alone in the forest. She said it never once crossed her mind.

My calves are so sore today!

I learned a lot from this post, mainly that my wardrobe sucks. I don't know what I don't know.

REI! I'm too cheap to shop there, though I love that store. I bought some wool hiking socks from there once, that's all I could afford LOL. Closest one is about 3 hours away though, so not a place I get too often.

If ur worried about running into redness try wearing plain mossy oak or real tree camp shorts or pants. Don't wear the overtly pink kind though. I think you will be fine.

I've tried hiking in a kilt and it just doesn't work for me. Too much chafing. In my trips to the east coast of the US, I've seen men hiking in kilts along the AT, but I rarely see women hiking in skirts, anywhere.

Hi Sarah, In the great Pacific Northwest (where I live) it is not unusual to see women wearing a skirt with leggings or yoga pants under their skirt. The Skirts are generally above the knee but not too short. I think that is a good option. Good luck. Oh if you are afraid of unwanted attention by some redneck a lot of girls here will carry a knife in their boot, I would recommend a stun-gun for safety, they are cheap, easy to operate, and the sound alone will make any person think twice. Have fun, Brenda

I used to walk the application trail. Never walked the entire thing but some mountains had bedrock sticking up and siting on top of one, people would walk by and never see you.. Nice trail and if anybody gets the chance go walk it. It goes from Florida to Main a long walk.
    Part Time Girl

Yeah my local trails it's pretty easy to avoid being seen, I was a few hundred feet standing on a rock slightly above the boyscout troop that walked by and they never saw me.

Found a sweet new Denim skirt this week at Goodwill!

Hmm, I have a friend who always runs with a knife, but I don' think I'm quite there yet.

Have you ever been kayaking? paddle2.jpg

Reply to the OP....look at a company called Sportkilt...I think they might make kilted skirts....most people cannot tell the difference between a kilt and kilted skirt anyhow..

If it were me, I would throw on my carrhart girl jeans and a sweater and get on it.