Thread: Starting HRT at 70

Starting HRT at 70

You might say that I am a late bloomer, but actually I am a late in acceptance. My desire to be a girl and my identification as a girl goes back to my earliest childhood memories, with occasional teenage cross dressing. After a psychotic collapse accompanied by suicidal tendencies and self harming in my college years at 19, I recovered enough to have therapy when I was 20. I told the therapist that I wanted to be a girl and that I hated my genitals. This was back in 1967, there was no knowledge then about what it was to be transgender, so the psychiatrist just tried to convince me that it was fine to be a man! I also certainly did not understand myself.

Two year later an amazing thing happened that saved me from a life of despair. I met a women, nine years my senior, that unconditionally accepted and loved me, and that made all the difference! We are still together 48 years later.

About ten years ago, thanks to the internet, I began to understand who I was and what all those feelings and desires in me that I had hated so much were OK. I began what you might call a slow, but steady transition to living my life as a women about six years ago. I started to buy my own clothes instead of borrowing my wife's, had my ears pierced, joined this forum, came out to my children and siblings, and even spent two months entirely female on holiday in California.

Two months ago I started therapy again after a 50 year break! Very different this time, with the therapist's recommendation I have an appointment with an endocrinologist on November 20 to begin HRT.

It is like a childhood dream come true.

Aspiring Member
    i am so happy for you Devorah and remember sis 70 is the new 50

Aspiring Member
    Devorah,
    Brava! Sharing your life journey is very encouraging. Many thanks for sharing.

Awesome! But so sorry you had to wait so long. I'm hoping ours will be the last generation to have a story like that - the upcoming generation can identify themselves early, get help early and (hopefully) have entire lifetimes of being who they actually are. I'm so happy you have a chance to be you.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

We get folks here all the time asking about being too old, or being out of time..

I hope we can use your post to inspire. It's never too late to accept who you are and do something about it.
    I am real

You are a true inspiration for me. I too have battled depression and anxiety for 50+ years. All the time I felt like something was not right and thinking I had severe mental issues. When I found the Internet, I read so many stories that were exactly like mine. I am still deep in the closet and my wife is not very supportive. Last week I finally got up the nerve to meet a therapist who has worked with transgenders for over 20 years. It was a scary step for me. Based on my first session, she said I was transgender. Now the journey begins to explore my true self. Lots of therapy and work ahead but I want to finally find peace and become my true self. Thanks so much for sharing.
    Hugs and Kisses,
    Carla Renae

Carla

It's worth it.

Just the simple idea of FINALLY doing SOMETHING that feels like its for YOU is really powerful.
    No matter what the age..

I started at 46...i thought it was too late...many of us have that thought no matter what the age

i think i was blessed in the sense that I was suffering so bad it forced me to act
    ...thank goodness i did..

Check this out (i posted this 100+ times i think!!)

http://www.avitale.com/developmentalreview.htm
    I am real

Welcome to the late bloomers club, Devorah! I was 59 when I started HRT. You won’t regret the decision, congratulations.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

Congratulations on this next bigger step to b e yourself. I think that you will enjoy the ride. I always try to remember that tomorrow morning starts the first day of the rest of my life.

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Wow 70 amazing, good for you and here I am age 56 and think I’m starting late, who knew
    Good luck to you
    Rachael

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn Michele View Post

I started at 46...i thought it was too late...many of us have that thought no matter what the age

i think i was blessed in the sense that I was suffering so bad it forced me to act
    ...thank goodness i did..

Check this out (i posted this 100+ times i think!!)

http://www.avitale.com/developmentalreview.htm
    On one of those hundred times I clicked on it, read it, and is changing my life. To what extent remains to be seen

Kaitlyn dear, thank you so much for posting the article the 101st time! I had never seen it until now. I even printed all 25 pages to share with others. You are a peach!

This was me...only exception is I crossdressed frequently...
    my panic attack came when i read these and other words in that article...but i think the article also saved my life.

Even the acknowledgement of my suffering was something i never allowed myself to experience...it was a big deal just to feel like another human being understood what was going on...this drove me to really get serious and do gender therapy

From the article.
    John, a 50 year-old genetic male, medical research scientist, married (23 years), father of three children aged 20, 17 and 7, phoned me after experiencing a panic attack severe enough to require emergency attention from paramedics at the airport on his way to give a presentation at a conference. John gave me only his first name and informed me that I was the first to be told what he was about to tell me. He said he was "gender dysphoric" and that he was "desperate." Feelings that were once "controllable through sheer force of will," had increased to where he now was having protracted periods where he would close his office door, lie on the floor and weep quietly while curled up in the fetal position, holding his genitals in pain. Other than intrusive and repeated fantasies of being female, he had refused to allow himself any overt form of female gender expression. He reported feeling that if he was to cross-dress and be caught, he would dishonor his wife and family. Having attained international recognition for his work, he was also concerned about his professional reputation. The only other form of temporary relief came through masturbating, often up to five times a day.
    I am real

I was extremely interested in reading the article raised by Kaitlyn and this I hope is of value to Devorah.

The departmental review proved very interesting and the fact that Devorah will be starting hormone therapy very shortly as she says aged 70, this raises a point with me as I am a senior and close to Devorah's age.
    When undergoing treatment through my Consultant Psychiatrist I raised the question of my age to which I was pleasantly advised age was not the issue and as others here have said 70 in now the new 50. So I can say to other seniors do not over worry about your age as long as you have reasonable health. Having recently undergone my GRS in Sept 17 the words of my Psychiatrist are proving true in that I am not (as I was) wishing if only I had done this earlier etc. In that, I have now undergone surgery (no matter my age) and it is making my life extensively so much better, senior or not.

So good luck Devorah for the future.

Good for you, Janice. You're a real hero!
    Marie

Today I had my endocrinologist appointment and all went well. As soon as I fill the prescriptions I will be starting HRT. I was asked two interesting questions. The first was if I wanted to freeze sperm! I laughed and said after six children and 70 years no thanks! They smiled and said they are required to ask. The second question was very interesting. They asked if I was not already talking hormones. I said not at all, why? Because I have such a high level of estrogen in my blood already, on the edge of being abnormal! Figure that one out?

Same for me..
    my first HRT doc was mad at me..

called me a liar...
    I am real

Well, did you fill the prescription and mark the date for future celebration? Never turn down a good reason to party. Thanks for sharing and good luck on your journey.

John, a 50 year-old genetic male, medical research scientist, married (23 years)...................
    My goodness, this describes so many of us. A life of quiet desperation. The thing I think is funny is how were described by many as crazy or of low character or weak. Anyone who can fake being someone for decades is obviously a dedicated person of single mindedness of purpose that has some very impressive skill sets. I digress though, congrat's on this new leg of your new journey, Devorah and welcome to the 24/7 roller coaster ride, hang on!

Mazeltov Devorahk, Best wishes, also enjoy the journey be safe Karrin