Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Apartment annual inspection upcoming--I guess I'm coming out to the Apt management!

Apartment annual inspection upcoming--I guess I'm coming out to the Apt management!

I have my annual inspection walk through coming Friday and I am NOT going to be putting my clothes back in totes! The young ladies that work in the management office will soon know and I'm perfectly OK with that. There are too many women's clothes and shoes in the closets to go un-noticed and I live here alone, so I'm sure they'll figure it out.

I know that this is no big deal, and I hesitated to even start a thread about it. But it's a small milestone for me coming out and being me. This is my place. These are my clothes. This is me.

Be careful that they don’t think you have someone living there off-lease.

It's funny you mention that, Micki. I thought about that. At that point I'd have to tell them they're mine! The apartment shows no sign of anyone else living here and there are too many clothes for just a visiting girlfriend. I'm pretty sure they're going to figure it out. And I'm OK with that.
    Last edited by Leelou; 11-08-2017 at 03:38 PM.

Leelou, best wishes with your inspection and coming out! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

That is a pretty big step. It appears that you have given serious consideration and are ready to do it. I wish you the best.

Cheryl

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    Please look at it from *their* perspective...

Odds are, they are not going to "figure out" anything.

They are probably way more likely to assume that you have someone else (a GG) living there. And I wouldn't be surprised if they ask you, point-blank, if you do.

At that point, how you want to approach the pink elephant in the room, is up to you...

"No, it's just me."

"No, it's just me. Why do you ask?"

"No, it's just me. What- all these clothes & shoes? Those are mine! "

Etc., etc.

Heck... why not girl it up a bit for your appointment? Maybe throw on some casual stuff that's a wee bit too femmy to be men's things -- but be in guy-mode?

That way they have no choice but to believe you.

Wow, Laura. Your post and others have me wondering if they would actually be so insensitive as to force a crossdresser to admit that the clothes are theirs. I'm absolutely ready to answer that they're mine. But I could see that others would have a harder time with the direct question.

And I do understand their perspective about protecting themselves against people living in their properties off-lease. This might get more interesting than I thought. I'll definitely report back if they say anything.

I had my apartment management find out in a different way when they came in for an inspection my wife hadn't told me about while I was in girl mode - apartment managers see the worst of the worst, and seeing us girls it usually low on the list of issues they run into.

I'm sure it will be fine but you'll have to tell them the truth if they ask or I could see you getting hit with a fine or even kicked out by breaking the lease agreement. Confession is the best thing then if they say anything you can say what you have against TG? That's a big step and I bet everything will work out ok. Might be some gossip later if they say anything to the other tenants but get most will be accepting. Good luck.

I hid all my lady things for my inspection, by a former cop man.

Banned Read only
    Granted it has been a very long time since I have lived in an apartment. But is closets and clothes counting really part of the inspection?

I would think they are looking for meth labs, grow ops, damage, neglect, unsafe, unsanitary conditions, and the like.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    They are your clothes just own it and if they ask say they are yours. You won't be lying to them.
    My heating and air guy saw all my sale booklets from womens clothing stores on my kitchen table and asked if I had a girlfriend move in.
    I said no and just went on talking about the issue I was having with my A/C unit.

Roberta, yes the notice to enter specifically addresses closets. They can't be locked with a personal lock for inspection and can't be cluttered with piles of clothes or paper.

Just a thought: the apartment management may be too busy looking to see if the dishwasher is leaking, the toilet is running, the doors close completely, etc. to really care what's in your closets. Depends on the inspectors, of course, but it's a workday for them nothing special. On the other hand, it's kind of nice to ease in to the idea of coming out by doing something passive, so it's a step along the path for you. Congratulations.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

The purpose of an apartment inspections is to make sure the apartment is in good condition. If the apartment is in good condition you should not have any problem. There is a possibility they see the women's clothing and ask if somebody else is living there. If so, just say you live alone, and if they mention the female clothes, just say they are yours, and no need to volunteer information like being a crossdresser.

To sum it up, if you are a good tenant and the apartment is in good condition, there should be no problem. Good tenants can be hard to find.

It always pays to plan ahead for the "What if's". The possible scenarios have been outlined for you so to avoid any potential doubt in the inspectors mind be prepared to front it up and have your proof to hand. Yep inspectors have seen it all before but, and this is a big but, they've also heard every excuse and down right lie that tenants have used to try to mislead them. "Oh they're mine" isn't something they're automatically going to take at face value. If they doubt you, show them your profile on here. That should do it.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

That's good, Helen thanks. I'm glad now that I posted this because I really was thinking they'd just assume I was a crossdresser. I had thought about the possibility of them questioning me having someone else living here, but dismissed it as really unlikely. So it was good to get some feedback on that. I'm now seriously considering leaving a wig out on a styling head in the closet with the clothes, and just being gone. I don't have to be here. That should do it.

First, don't make assumptions. It will only cause you stress.
    Second, be who you are. Are you a good person? You work hard? Yes for both, then you will be fine. Let them do their job and be honest if they question anything. If your place is clean and decluttered then you shouldn't worry.
    They/Them
    I love dressing as a woman.

Silver Member
    What does your lease say about occupancy. If it says that you have to register all people living there then you may need to tell them. If you are not required to, shrug it off. When I was inspected years ago I simply explained my girlfriend often came on weekends and had her own place on the other side of town where she worked. That way she was not a resident since she maintained a separate domicile.

Years ago I stayed a couple nights at a motel. I left a dress hanging on a hook the second day. The made asked me if I had a woman with me. They charged more if it was more than a single person. I said no and she asked about the dress. I said, I didn't want it to get wrinkled before I got it home and didn't want it in the way during the day.

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    I perform these inspections on a regular basis. Its more of a safety, wellness check for the unit. Issues like water leaks,functioning smoke detectors,gas leaks, leaks from other units,broken windows,ripped carpet, plumbing issues, etc. Water from top units can run along drywall and leak in a unit in a closet. Pets and smoking are a concern if you are in a no pet no smoking bldg. In the US you cannot be discriminated on the basis if gender.

What clothes are in a unit are of no concern unless they are in really really really bad taste. Seriously unless you have a (I kid you not I saw this once) I life size mannequin of Mimi from the Drew Carey Show.

You will be fine.
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Where do u live, Leelou? What u r talking about is quite irregular where I live, Calif!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Silver Member
    Just out of curiosity is it a school housing apartment? I remember them from when I was back in college (mostly worried about kids overloading the outlets and having candles because of the fire hazard.) Other places I have lived never required inspecting unless there was a specific problem.

At any rate, I'd put your female items away. As someone said, they could accuse you of having someone unauthorized live there. Do you really want to deal with that grief if you can simply and easily avoid it? Also, I'd insist on being there while they are there, in case something valuable disappears.

Thanks, Kelly that helps put my mind at rest about the situation. I wasn't overly concerned, because this is not my first inspection here and I'm sure I'll be fine. It will just be the first inspection when my closets have lots of women's clothes and shoes in them.

And since you've got some experience with inspections, are the apartment managers there with the inspectors most of the time? You know, the ladies that work in the office? As I mentioned earlier, I'm totally OK with that. Just curious. I was always gone for previous inspections and I'll probably choose not to hang around for this one.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    If they say anything just say you are transgender.
    The last they want is legal trouble from the LGBT and the ACLU.
    Being transgender is the hip thing to be these days it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    Where do u live, Leelou? What u r talking about is quite irregular where I live, Calif!
    I live in Spokane, Wa. I'm a renter, so I'm assuming renters in Cali probably have to submit to periodic inspections, no?