Thread: A small step but a Great Leap Forward

A small step but a Great Leap Forward

So. I have decided to transition this year. And I am still not prepared to begin my physical transition but I am steadily incorporating a more relaxed mindset into my life (letting go of the hyper masculine persona) even while presenting as male and presenting as female more and more publicly. This weekend I took a trip up to DC to stay in a hotel and have 3 whole days to entirely be in femme. It was amazing. I enjoyed being just me for a whole weekend. I didn’t even get any work phone calls where i had to use my male voice. I didn’t really hit the town much but when I was out I was greeted and referred to by female pronouns. I am surprised at how much joy that gave me. I was complimented by three different men in passing and while i have no interest in them it just felt very validating. I did get some odd stares and I’m sure i heard snickering a time or two but the positive has far outweighed the negative in my mind. I am so happy and feel much more confident. I am disappointed that it’s back to the drudgery of being in drab and playing the part for a while longer but My inner woman got some much needed nurturing this weekend. I am so excited about the times to come thay I can resume being myself.

While it was terrific there are some things I have to consider now. The main point of this weekend was not just for girly fun like going clubbing in a cute dress or getting my nails done. The point was to not rely on the safety of my male persona and to confront that while I do present well at least for a long time I won’t be entirely passable. I needed accept that even though i know I’m a woman that’s not what everyone will see when they look at me. So even during the day shopping for groceries or sitting at a restaurant I can be comfortable not because I pass but because I don’t care if I pass. Largely I think I did well. I went to the movies. I went to stores during the day. I even engaged passerby’s in conversation. I did experience some hesitation about a few things. I found myself thinking about where i parked. I wanted to be sure I could park somewhere that I wouldn’t be trapped if I were confronted by someone. (Sadly that is a fair consideration to take in the world we live in) also later in the evening I when I considered going out for drinks I didn’t want to drive as far as the nearest gay bar (where I’m accustimed to feeling very safe) and I wasn’t brave enough to go into a straight bar. I thought being alone around mostly straight people who have been drinking was risky. I still think it’s a reasonable thing to be aware of but I want to get to the point that I don’t feel restricted by thoughts like that at all. Anyway. Over all the weekend was teriffic.

By the way my reference to a straight bar or straight people was meant to describe a cis/hetero normative crowd. I’m aware that a trans woman who likes men is in fact straight and that being trans does not automatically have any bearing on orientation. trans people come in all types and orientations.
    Last edited by ashleymasters; 11-13-2017 at 01:38 AM. Reason: I just remembered some thoughts I want to add to it

Aspiring Member
    Great story. Transition is indeed one step at at a time process.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Ashley, it's good that you are planning for the longer term and that you have considered personal safety as well as other things. I'm glad that you had a good experience overall during your long weekend.

Please keep us informed how things progress and remember that we are always here for you.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Cool! And congratulations on your decision. During the process, allow yourself a lot of forgiveness. Even when you think you have things completely worked out intellectually, there were be circumstances that set you back for a moment. It's OK. Figure it out what was at the base of it and resolve to do better next time.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Ashely good luck as you look forward I’m still very early in my transistion still not even on hormones. That’s because like you I’m going slow despite my fast beginning by coming out at work and working as Rachael now. I’m now just going one day at a time.
    So your approach is good. Pat has it right too be prepared for a few setbacks they will happen
    Hugs Rachael