Thread: Is being TG an inheritable condition?

Is being TG an inheritable condition?

I'm a 39-year-old TG woman, and my middle child who was born a daughter has since age 10 steadfastly maintained he is a boy, and all evidence supports the conclusion it's genuine and not a phase (he's 18 now). Knowing first hand how difficult the life of the transgendered can be, I can't help but wonder if he somehow inherited the issue from me. Anyone have any info?

Aspiring Member
    Ashley,
    I too wonder if transgenderism is inherited? I suspect I am not the first in the family tree who is blessed to be TG.

Hopefully others will weigh-in on this topic.

There is anecdotal information that it runs in Families.

I don’t know what to say. I personally believe that being transgendered is essentially a physical deformity. But instead of being born with six toes on one foot or three eyes, I was born with a penis. So on one hand I guess since our bodies are made from our genes I could see it being hereditary. But on the other since my dna got mix up and put a woman’s brain in a mans body. It could just be totally random. Either way I would say your son is lucky to have a trans parent who can not just support him but really relate to him. Good luck to your family.

The current thinking is that it is heritable (I guess heritable and inheritable are like flammable and inflammable: they mean the same thing) but that DNA is not the whole story. I had a thread on it in the crossdresser's forum a little while ago: https://www.crossdressers.com/forums...quot-questions where I summarized info from a book that I cite in the post.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

I have a strong feeling my father was trans, although to my knowledge he never acted out. He did, however, drink himself to death. Given the lack of information and support available when he was young--and for that matter, the same lack even when I was young--it's possible he didn't even know what was wrong with him, although he was a very intelligent, if troubled, man. It makes me sad to think he might have suffered his whole life, without ever discovering he was not alone in his inner torment.

Lallie
    Time for a change.

I don't think it's so much an inherited condition as just a fact of nature, Trans people are in all races all cultures thru out human existence, our society has deamed it as outlaw cult something to be hidden and shamed. We are just now bringing it back out in the open and free to express and question that which has always been there.

Thanks everyone for the input. On the one hand I really get great joy from the extra depth of connection with my son that comes from sharing your condition, but on the other i struggle with some feelings of guilt rooted in the possibility that my genes may be responsible for causing him heartache and hassle he wouldn't encounter without being trans. Fortunately it seems pretty clear thus far that FTM are subjected to less cultural censure than MTF, but that doesn't mean there is none. I just thank the good Lord that he is a strong-minded, strong-willed, and stable individual with a degree of courage I can only envy, all of which will benefit him greatly as he navigates his life's path.

I just thank the good Lord that he is a strong-minded, strong-willed, and stable individual with a degree of courage I can only envy, all of which will benefit him greatly as he navigates his life's path.
    This generation is much more magnanimous and accepting than those previous. Proof at least that we're all evolving, growing, somehow and in some meaningful way.

ashley it is an unchangeable truth that your son is from your genes... ALL things about him stem from you and your wife..

your genes are guaranteed to cause him plenty of heartache!! LOL

BUt If he is strong and stable and brave, then that stems from you too
    I am real

I wonder about this as well - I'd hate my kids to go through this and have feared they might inherit this from me.

We at least know that being trans is 'genetic' - that there are identifiable genes that differ from those born "cis", but the inheritability of those genes is still unsure/unstudied in science. Makes me want to go back to college and get a degree in biology so I can study this stuff!

I found out recently my cisgender sister has been in therapy for 25 years and continually discussed with the therapist why she wasn't born male.... she laughed when she told me this and said we got switched.... oh how I wish we hadn't. She has always done guy stuff... been an engineer retiring from the oil industry and doing it when it was totally unacceptable.... hunted, sports, etc. And I the opposite... didn't like any of that much but did what I had to for appearances. My brother is an alcoholic, recovering I hope this time, but greatly disturbed and wonderfully talented. The three of us add up to something... not sure what LOL. I do know that the fear of the Trans issue of it being transmittable or at least influencing has caused my sons to forbid me from seeing the grandchildren, and of course supplying them a reason to cut me from their lives.... I have barely hung onto my marriage, but had to stop my transition now where I'm at... another story. But to them, real or not, that is what they believe which makes it real. I hope science moves a bit faster... we all would like to know why....
    Enjoy our new life and seek peace Give love and kindness to others Live patience, self control, humility each day

I have wondered this as well as our family seems to have more than it's fair share of trans or questioning people in it. Other than myself, my oldest came out just over a year ago that he was a she and on my wife's side one of our nephew came out as wanting to be a boy. His sister/brother, we are not sure as she hasn't come right out and said either way but lies more in the middle ground. Their younger brother apparently is questioning his gender based on my wife's mother...she kind of let it slip. My wife and I both think my dad was/is but because of his generation, he has kept it hidden very well.

Seems like we have our fair share of trans/questioning people.

I have 2 thoughts.

In the book "Becoming Nicole" there's a lot of discussion about TG being a hormonal condition in utero. Genitals develop in the first trimester; the brain in the second trimester. The reader's digest version is that in MTF, genitals develop male, but in the second trimester, extra estrogen (I jokingly call it estrogen poisoning, but I'd like to believe that it's really estrogen enhancement) makes the brain female.

It could happen!

Then again, I'm either a CD or bigender, depending on what day you ask me. One of my first cousins is a butch lesbian, or maybe a FtM, one of my uncles was gay and one of my first cousins once removed is a lipstick lesbian. This is all on my father's mother's side of the family. It's a small family and it seems that there are way too many "non-binary" for there not to be a genetic component to it.
    Last edited by Sometimes Steffi; 11-16-2017 at 09:54 PM.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.