Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taking photos of yourself...

I am an amateur at best, but I like diffuse sunlight or dappled shade, or lighting from a northern window, and use the flash as a last resort. I don't or try not to force a smile, only looks weird. I have a compact digital camera (Fuji XP) that has an interval timer so I don't have to keep running back to the camera, it also works with my phone for remote shutter release. Oh, it's waterproof, so no worries about rain. I take lots of pictures knowing I am going to dump most of them. I store the photos on a secure thumb drive that is password protected. Good luck, have fun and share some of your pictures. Brenda

I've heard a lot of people say they look terrible in pictures, but they've only ever seen themselves in bad pictures. I have a theory that anyone can look good in a photo, if it's well set up. My favorite lighting set up is when the main light source is natural through a window, with diffused strobe lighting dialed back, off the camera to fill in shadows (but not overpower the main natural source). Play with the lighting set up a little. Shadows are interesting and add depth and richness, flat lighting is boring and unflattering. Using the strobe on the camera as the main light source is not what it's designed for, and always looks washed out and horrible. Try a wide lens aperture to blur and soften the background, and provide separation. Put some thought into the background, not too cluttered or distracting, but not a blank wall either.
    You might get a good picture by accident, but a great picture takes a little planning. Good luck and have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Judy-Somthing View Post
    I've taken quite a few photos over the last forty years and have tried all kinds of lighting and found sun light works the best especially now at 60!
    For me, moonlight works best; the new moon, in particular. Yesiree, the darker it is, the better I might look.

The old phrase that the camera adds ten pounds seems to always hold up...except in my case, where it adds 60 pounds.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I just got bold enough to take pictures of myself last week. I was an amature photographer many moons ago, but now the best camera I have is a 10-year-old Sony digital. I only took about eight decent pics using the timer. I can tell I need lots of work and practice on my makeup (and my body - got a gut I'm working on, sorta). The two biggest dislikes for me are my smile (I don't have one) and the bags under my eyes. The pics only seem to make them worse. As time permits, I'll get more pics taken in different outfits.

One day you will be able to get someone else to take photos of yourself and all you need to do then is strike poses.

This way you can get some nice photos and lots of revealing ones to brush up your deportment and style.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Getting a camera with a remote shutter helps, too. Then you can take as long as you need or want to pose, click the button, and snap the picture. Otherwise, running from behind the camera and posing nicely in those five to ten seconds can be challenging.

I agree with you completely! I think I look sooo sexy, I love trying on wigs and shoes, but once i take 15 pictures and then look... oh I feel ugly again. I havent ever tried makeup yet, so that's my next step. (although i did put on lipstick a few times and loved just doing that)

I have taken many pictures of myself over the past 5 years. I use a digital camera and a tripod with the timer it takes 3 shots at a time, then I either delete them immediately or put the SD card in the computer and sort them out. Once they are on the computer I crop and adjust things so even I look okay. If you really need to improve things there are free apps to make you look even better.
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

Capturing from video is the best! So many possibilities.

Aspiring drama queen Isabella Ross's Avatar
    This is an interesting thread because it poses the question, "Why do we takes photos of ourselves?" Part of my profession requires some photography proficiency, and I've been a photographer going back to medium format cameras. Ten years ago, when I first fully accepted myself, I was eager to see if I could take some photos of myself. I've always been crazy about the pinup girls in the 50s and 60s, and I've purchased so much lingerie and clothing from that era so that I could try emulate some of those great photos. Of course, the subjects in those photos were beautiful GGs, and I am clearly not...but every once in a while, I get a half decent result. I post my photos here on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/pinknfrilly/

Like others on this thread, I sometimes wonder what my motivation is is. When I'm a boy, I avoid being in photos like they're plague. But in gurl mode, I love it. Some of it is probably narcissism...I'll concede that. But some of it is more than that. Somehow, it's a way to validate who I am...and be better. It lets me see what works and what doesn't when I'm doing my best to be a good girl. And posting on a public place like flickr, where there is a good TG community, allows you to get feedback from others...and learn from others.

As for tips, this is the best I can do if you are interested in something better than a snapshot:

-Don't expect good results from a smartphone. Use a DSLR, tripod and remote.
    -Learn some basic photography composition like the rule of thirds...easy to do on the internet
    -Shoot with the longest lens you can.
    -Lighting is everything. Without some kind of backlight, for instance, images just look flat. Cheap lighting kits can be found for next to nothing.
    -Choose your setting carefully. And declutter a setting...nobody wants to see your laundry on the floor, etc.
    -Take at least 25 photos for every one that might end up worthwhile.
    -Shoot outside in the morning or early evening for best results.

Most people, I've discovered, will go to take a photo and then just stop and wait, waiting for that perfect pose or the "perfect moment." Me, I'm like, hold my finger down on the shutter button and rapid-fire through about forty pictures. I figure that with all those pictures, one or two are going to look great.
    "You are who you are, that's all right with me,
    But I am who I am, that's all I can be."
    -Trace Atkins, "Rough and Ready"
    ===========================================
    Just call me Kaylie

Oh my, I thought I was the only 99%er in this group. I too find 99% of all the pictures I take of myself when dressed are not good. The other four percent are just OK. Did I also mention that my photography skills are as good as my math? Like Ilene mentioned, I don't know why I take these pictures. Maybe because of all the effort we put into the transformation, pictures are the only way to get a record of the accomplishment. I also agree with others who have mentioned how important lighting is when making photos. It is my experience that taking pictures in the dark has proven to give consistent but unsatisfactory results.
    Teri Ray Rural Idaho Girl.

Taking pictures is one of my passions too. I have posted most of them in a private flikr account and go there once in a while to see myself in full regalia. I don't know why, it sounds strange even to me, but i do it. I guess it gives me something positive to do while all dressed up. I have gone out a couple of times, but only to the park for some outdoor picture taking.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/lovethatdress/

Reality Check
    Isabella (post #34) makes some good points. I cringe when I see someone post a "photo" that they took with a phone while looking in the mirror. There are books (remember those) on how to take good photographs. Buy one and read it.

Most of us have difficulty following her suggestions when shooting photos in our homes. A long lens (zoom out) is hard to do in our homes unless we have big homes with big rooms or an open floor plan. "Declutter" is also difficult because we usually have furniture, pictures on the wall, etc.

Outdoors is great, but only if you actually go outdoors and have a place to go. Shooting photos of yourself attracts attention so you pretty much have to look for a deserted area. At least with digital photography, you can take dozens of photos at no cost and delete any that don't flatter you.
    Krisi

Stephanie,

The older i get, the more pictures it takes to find the girl in me...lol CLick away...there is always a pretty one to share.

hugs niki
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hugs, msniki48
    Blog
    http://nikishomeawayfromhome.spaces....x?sa=764853634

I like to set the camera on Interval Shoot, pose for a few, then just walk around doing some activity and ignore the camera. The most fun is to have a helper!

Reality Check
    I would like for my wife to take photos of me because it's pretty difficult to get good ones if you're doing it all yourself.

The problem is, she does not like to take photos (she's really bad at it, can't even hold the camera straight and knows nothing about composition or backgrounds). She is getting better about taking photos since she got a smart phone but they aren't any better.
    Krisi

I always take pictures, especially when I have something new or a new ensemble. I use my iPad, reverse the camera and set the 10 second timer. I too, delete 99% of them. Yes, a picture is worth a thousand words. I watch how women pose. I didn’t realize how difficult it was, but fun.

Your stance or pose in a picture makes all the difference, I recently viewed a post elsewhere detailing do's and dont's, it's amazing the difference in my pics I've taken since, sooo much better.