Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When and/or how to talk to your therapist

When and/or how to talk to your therapist

I’ve recently begun seeing a therapist for some help treating my anxiety and depression. When seeking out a therapist though, I made sure they were also LGBTQA friendly and have experience in gender disphoria. I’ve seen her a few weeks now and have yet to mention my disphoria but instead have focused on my other issues. My question is how do I begin to talk about my disphoria? What do I say? Should I even do it if I’m not even sure if it’s actually disphoria? I’m really scared of opening up a can of worms that I won’t be able to shut again.

A therapist won't be able to help you unless you tell them what your problems are, and what you're dealing with. Even though men tend to compartmentalize their lives, that doesn't mean that we can actually ONLY have one thing going on in our minds at any given time. There is a lot we think about subconsciously which we may not even be aware of.

Talk to your therapist. If there seems to be a problem, you can always stop seeing this one and go to another.

EDIT:
    I have to add; by telling them everything, you open up the possibilities to breakthroughs when things all of a sudden all start to make sense when you put everything together. By holding back information, you may be sabotaging your own therapy. Not everything is obvious taken by itself. Sometimes it takes clusters of behaviors and/or thoughts that can fit together to form the reasons for why you feel the way you do. It happened that way with me; each individual thing might not have resulted in the desire to crossdress, the feeling that I was supposed to be a girl, why that feeling persisted, and why it was all tied into my need for affection; then, why it all disappeared when I was in stable, loving relationships, and how and why it all returned when I was not. Unless you're objective enough to be able to see your life as an uninvolved outsider does, letting a therapist know everything that you know and feel, can be the only way to learn everything about yourself. Without that, you might never be able to resolve the thoughts and desires that drive you do these behaviors, and know why you experience these desires and feelings resulting in various transgendered acts.
    Last edited by sometimes_miss; 11-27-2017 at 01:19 AM.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    U don't need to tell her what your issues r called.
    U need to tell her what your problems/symptoms r! She'll come up with terms, if u want them. What she's supposed to do is help u resolve your issues, rite? How can she do that if u don't explain them?

For example: Gender dysphoria is not your problem. Your problem is: not sleeping at nite, can't do your job, can't handle your finances, or satisfy your SO, etc., etc. That's what u tell her. She figures out why and offers solutions.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I echo tell them everything, including your dressing activities. They need all the info, because many times we don't know what is causing our issues and need a qualified third party to actually see what they see. Tell them everything that you can think of, including what you are currently holding back. Let them sort through it all and then help you understand and guide you. Tell them that you have some additional information about yourself that they need to know, and then tell them. They will probably ask questions and maybe even why you held it back so far. Tell them the truth that you were afraid of whatever you actually are afraid of. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasp View Post
    My question is how do I begin to talk about my disphoria? What do I say?
    Just say, "I have this other thing I want to talk about..." and go. She'll ask questions, you'll answer or think about it or whatever. You do the work in therapy, the therapist is just there to guide you.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

I appreciate all the support and I agree I should be able to just list off everything that I’m feeling. I guess my fear is that I’ll be making a permanent decision and come out to someone. There are very few people who know about my other side and a part of me wants to keep it that way. If I tell my therapist, then what?

One of the best people to comeout to is your therapist. Go for it and you will not regret it. Good luck.

I guess my fear is that I’ll be making a permanent decision
    The nice thing about coming out with a therapist is to find out where you stand before a permanent change is made, or even IF a permanent change is needed.
    A simple statement it your Therapist might be; "Oh, and I like to wear women things!".
    Let your therapist take it from there. Be ready for all sorts of question on the subject. The Therapist will be trying to 'range in' on the degree of your problems, and how they interact.
    Last edited by Leslie Mary S; 11-26-2017 at 05:07 AM.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

I just recently told my therapist that i cross dress, it was something that i had been holding back from telling her. I agree with everybody that if you don’t tell your therapist about yourself you are not going to get the full benefit from her Diagnosis of you. I to have chronic depression which is treated with medication and therapy but i had to tell someone that could help as i cannot treat myself, i can fix airplanes not people. My life did not collapse after revealing my crossdressing to her and she was the third person i have ever shared that with, my life has gotten that much easier or unburdened with sharing. I do not at this time care to shout it from the roof tops as i am not ready for the all the responses positive and negative that i would receive but sharing it with your therapist can be a safe place to do that. I hope this doesn’t sound to codependent.

Yeah this makes sense. Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by Pat; 11-26-2017 at 09:11 PM. Reason: No need to quote the message just before yours; no need to quote the ENTIRE message either.

Banned Read only
    Wasp,
    I don't understand why people have a reluctance to be honest with a therapist , you can't expect them to help you unless you give them all the facts, they have their code , they are professionals . GD has a huge influence on your mental state , it's at the core of what drives our CDing needs . Tell her straight about your Cding , you are paying her good money to help you so let her do her job especially as you've chosen one that has expertise in gender issues . It may not be GD but you are assuming that so let her talk it through with you and come up with some answers .

The therapy sessions should be confidential, so you should have little to lose by mentioning your crossdressing. Good luck!

Sami
    My new blog: The Crossdresser Report
    https://crossdresserreport.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    I don't understand why people have a reluctance to be honest with a therapist
    My ex was a nurse, and when we started going to a therapist, my wife thought it unusual that I was so open when I told the therapist everything so early in our visits. Wifey saw it as something wrong with me, she felt that most people hold back, and only gradually tell the therapist everything. I suppose that it may be out of embarrassment, or maybe fear of being seen as damaged or something. But when I brought that up to the therapist, she agreed that many people are unable to just open up right away. After all, especially with crossdressing, it's a very taboo subject, considered by many to be very perverted. So I can understand why some might think that therapists have the same views about us as the rest of society does.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I’ve recently begun seeing a therapist for some help treating my anxiety and depression. When seeking out a therapist though, I made sure they were also LGBTQA friendly and have experience in gender disphoria. I’ve seen her a few weeks now and have yet to mention my disphoria but instead have focused on my other issues. My question is how do I begin to talk about my disphoria? What do I say? Should I even do it if I’m not even sure if it’s actually disphoria? I’m really scared of opening up a can of worms that I won’t be able to shut again.
    I can relate. I was extremely nervous about telling mine about Leah.
    The first one I told about, wasn’t very welcoming. She told me I could dress but wanted me to change in the bathroom outside of her practice and then walk into her office suite.
    Then I met another one who I slowly told her about Leah, encouraged me to dress and was so amazing! She slowly started encouraging me and it was night and day to be Leah if I wanted to.
    I highly encourage you and trust me, if they are LGBTQ friendly, you’ll be very well welcomed.
    xoxo,

Leah

"Man, I feel like a Woman!"

Banned Read only
    Lexi,
    Going to counsellors was something I thought I'd never admit to , once I realised I needed some help I was ready to give all the details , I knew there was no point in hiding anything, once I had crossed that line .

Your comment suggests that people aren't motivated enough to justify therapy , to me you either need help or you don't otherwise why waste your time and money and the therapist's time ?

I didn't go because I was in doubt if I needed help or not , I knew I did so I put complete trust and honesty into the sessions .

Lots of great advice especially sometimes Miss...don't give yourself tags rather just talk about everything, and coming out to your therapist is one of the most important things you can do while in Theriot where he/she will be helping you steer your life but if she doesn't know your secret life than you will never reach your goals completely

My therapist was amazed at how open and honest I was with her, my wife tells the therapist what she feel she needs to know. what is the purpose if therapy if your not going to be open and honest.

I went to my therapist dressed, I thought if not how was she going to know how I wanted to present myself. Anything you tell your therapist is confidential so why not spill the beans about yourself so you can work on your issues from all angles. Hugs Jaymee
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

You all are sooo supportive!! Thank you, idk if I’ll have the courage to open up during my next session, or the one after that, but I believe I’ll get there eventually. I agree that I shouldn’t keep it away from her- it doesn’t make sense to do so you’re all right. I think it’s a trust thing. I’ve only just started seeing a therapist, and just like coming out to anyone, a level of trust needs to be established.

Thanks for all your support though!! ❤️

I told my therapist right at the start that l dress. She was very accepting and supportive. I have gone to several sessions dressed. I encourage you to be open with your therapist.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona123 View Post
    I told my therapist right at the start that l dress. She was very accepting and supportive. I have gone to several sessions dressed. I encourage you to be open with your therapist.
    Can I ask what their follow up to your reveal was like? Like what did they say or ask? Did it lead to anything? Feel free to not answer if too personal. I’m just curious what the benefit, if any, might be like.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    My therapist asked if my closet crossdressing was causing problems for me? I said, "No". Except for my now ex's issues. She said, "Then, let's move on to issues that r!"

Expect him/her to ask u that same question.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    The entire human head is a can of worms. Your therapist won't bat an eyelid.

The value a therapist has is in direct proportion to the level of honesty you can bring to the session. The things you don't say are probably the most significant.

Stop wasting your time and the therapist's and get to the point.
    I used to have a short attention spa

I have been wondering about this, too, recently.

I have been seeing my therapist on and off for two or three years for moderate to unpleasant depression and anxiety issues. In that time I have never mentioned the CDing or Julia's existence. Now that the other problems seem to be in remission again, the desire to express as J ulia seems to have returned with redoubled intensity. I doubt thats a coincidence. I'm sure my therapist would be happy to discuss it (I mean, thats what I pay her for....) but i imagine the first line of inquiry would be why I had not raised this before. I need to give that some thought!

Let us know two it goes.
    Hugs

Julia
    Not all of us grow up to be the man we once thought we might become.

My candle burns at both ends. It will not last the night. But Ah, my friends, and Oh my foes, It gives a lovely light.

Silver Member
    I have been going to therapy for a multitude of life's challenges but mainly to work CDing into my current life so it was an early topic but over time i have confided in my present therapist very private and intimate subjects and I have never felt bad after doing so. Any good one will not pass any judgement unless it is hurtful to you or others in a clear way. If you are dealing with depression, the causes could be a multitude of things so the more she know about you the more she can help.
    I can also appreciate your apprehension since you are new to her. Trust is critical to good therapy and that building of trust can take time. If you are "clicking" the sooner you reveal more the quicker you can see benefits. I also think that after you reveal this, ask her about coming to therapy dressed. If she stammers over this suggestion, she may not be a well versed in gender as she my infer (if she regularly sees TQ spectrum clients, someone coming dressed should be pretty common.
    If I asked the "come dressed" question to the first 5 or 6 alleged,gender capable practitioners I would have found out they weren't, a whole lot sooner. Luckily that was long ago now.