Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going out advice

Going out advice

I mentioned that my wife is willing to go out with Tamara sometime. I also realize that while I might not be recognized alone, if I am with her, that could make it more possible that someone we my know would recognize me. Any thoughts?

Reality Check
    That is entirely true. Probably the only solution to that is to go to another town or preferably a big city where its less likely that you or your wife would be recognized.
    Krisi

it's a risk you take. I"ve been halfway across the country and run into people from home

Banned Read only
    Tamara,
    You are very fortunate having a partner who is prepared to accompany you, one solution would be to find a social group , where she can meet other wives and you can meet other Cders .

Often members in this situation use a holiday destination for a possible first outing , or a big event where there are many visitors . I know we've all been in the situation when you travel half way round the World and bump into someone you know from your home town .

Your concern is valid. You can reduce the odds of meeting someone who knows your wife by carefully choosing where you go. However, your wife having a ready response to someone's question would be a great plus. Enjoy!
    Hugs, Carole

I agree, go to another location that your or her friends do not go. If you go to another city remember to not go on shopping days and/or areas people frequent when they go to that city on business. The distance of the second location is not the key. It is "why do people go there". If the friends and acquaintances might go there for those reasons, rethink the choice. I have met people I know even when we were over 1,000 miles away because it was a place were everyone else went. Think of places were you frequently go as merely an extended part of your neighborhood.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Hi Tamara, the others advice is very good. Pick a big town nearby where people, who know both of you, don’t normally go to. You might also want a “code word” to use if either of you spot someone who knows either of you. Use the word to immediately separate and put distance between each other. Hover nearby then to see things are clear.
    You will have the advantage of not looking like yourself, but your wife will be familiar to friends. If you hear some one call out your wife’s name, keep moving and don’t look back until well clear.
    Odd are low you’ll run into someone you know, so have some fun and thank your wife for being so understanding.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Valid concerns indeed but do it anyway and have fun.
    If you dwell on it you will never do it because you will continually be making excuses why you shouldn't go out.

That's a chance you take. It happened to me once and because of it I became outed to a friend who previously hadn't known about me. No big deal though.

Silver Member
    Heidi's comments are spot on. However, if you should meet someone you both know, she might introduce you as a long lost cousin.

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    Valid concerns indeed but do it anyway and have fun.
    If you dwell on it you will never do it because you will continually be making excuses why you shouldn't go out.
    Agreed.

And yeah, it can happen. Though out of all the times I've been out, only once did I ever run into someone I knew who I didn't want them to know. Random dumb luck, really.

This was like over 20 years ago, and it was a young male co-worker of mine. He recognized my car -- and recognized me. (Mind you, this was pre-wig days, so... )

It didn't go over well, as he outed me at work the next day. I denied everything to people who he told & then asked me about it. Came real close to decking the guy, because he kept harping on me about it all morning -- and I never particularly cared for him prior to that, either. He actually chickened out once I finally got pissed off enough & escalated it to a physical confrontation... And this guy was bigger than me, too. What- too afraid to get his ass kicked by a "girl"?

Hey, young men will be young men -- sometimes.

He did cool it after that. But the public damage was already done. (Oddly, one the guys there around my age, after learning of this, suddenly became *very* chatty & friendly with me... Closeted bi/gay/curious? CD'er, himself?)

In the grand scheme of things, I didn't really care that much that it happened, honestly, as it was just a temporary summer job, & I left like a week or two later, anyway.

In any event, Leslie Mary brought up a really good point...

"The distance of the second location is not the key. It is 'why do people go there'. If the friends and acquaintances might go there for those reasons, rethink the choice."

Bingo.

Yes, random dumb luck can still happen, as it did in my case. No getting around that.

But if you plan accordingly, per the above? You're certainly reducing the risk, which is all you can really do if it's a concern of yours.

Just as advised go away from your home area and then stay vigilant of your surrounding and think it through. You should have no problems with a little common sense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Fran
    It's worth something just being around to Fuss!

Silver Member
    While I've traveled the world I have run into one person who knew me.Outside the US. I have run into people I know here in the US. Been seated on an airplane in a near seat with someone. Walking down the mall and run into someone from 1000+ miles away.You have to realize that the bigger the circle of people who know you or your wife the more likely. it will happen.

Heidi has some good advice, as does Leslie Mary.
    My wife and I were at the other end of there country at a resort and we were going down to the bar after dark and then sit outside in the breeze and talk. I suggested that I could dress since we are so far from home and my wife said "no, what if we run into someone we know". I commented that there is no one we know anywhere around, but stayed in drab so she would be comfortable. When we were done talking and walking back to the room, sure enough, someone from back home that works at one of the local stores recognized her and called to us. So much for the low probability of running into someone so far from home.

You need to weigh the odds of being discovered at the location (hopefully very small with good planning) versus the benefit of being out with your lovely wife (hopefully very great). You can then decide whether the benefits are worth the odds.

It's up to you, but I bet you can figure out a place with low enough odds given the terrific benefit. I think you should do it.

Sami
    My new blog: The Crossdresser Report
    https://crossdresserreport.com/

my husband and I usually go out relatively late at night for drives and some walks.... people are usually asleep when we go out for our dates while he is dressed...

We've also tried dressing up while on vacation.. and if we have yet to bump in to anyone we know....ive also cosplayed a couple times and our excuse would be that i dared him to do it if we saw anyone we knew....

You could try having your wife also dress up as well (wig and makeup etc) so shes not as recognizable too...

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    "You could try having your wife also dress up as well (wig and makeup etc) so shes not as recognizable too..."

I was thinking of this earlier, as well.

I mean, if the OP/CD'er is getting all dolled-up, looking different from their usual self, then why not the wife, too?

Wig in a much different style/color/length than her usual hair, make-up done differently (potentially including things like contouring, false eyelashes, lining outside of the lips, etc.), temporary body enhancements (like bigger boobs & butt/hips), a style of clothes that aren't normally worn by her, using a different voice... Things like that.

I'd think it would be a lot of fun!

One other possibility, if she's game?

Crossdress as a dude.

This is my wife's biggest concern is that someone will recognize
    me while out in our hometown. If she was with me is would be easier.

She has been out with me in Biloxi Ms and Las Vegas.

All good advice. We were thinking of a movie. Anyone go be at a movie theatre.

Silver Member
    For those of you that go out late to drive, you should be aware that the police are often looking for drunks. So be careful how you drive.

Queen of Chinatown jennifer0918's Avatar
    On a map red dot your location, go 50 miles north, south, west,and east until you have a circumference. And just go outside that circle. It's a risk but we'll worth it to live out a dream

Lots of good thoughts.
    Wife and I have had a few girls' weekends. A city about 2 plus hours away with a large population has been successful for us. We went to Vegas once but it was a poor experience; too many narrow minded drunks on the streets making rude comments towards me which upset my wife.

I too worry about being recognized when out with the wife. I worry more about the consequences for her but frankly being outed when you don't want to be is not good.
    Make plans for a girls' weekend. Drive to a city a few hours away or whatever the next large city is. Rent a hotel or AirBnB for the weekend and enjoy. Less stress for both of you as you walk around shopping or dining when the likelihood of your wife being recognized and outing you.
    They/Them
    I love dressing as a woman.

Reality Check
    Some folks have pointed out that even in a town or city far away there's a chance of running into someone who knows your wife (I'm assuming your presentation is good enough that you wouldn't be recognized without the association with your wife).

Well, this is true of course, but there is also a chance someone would be lifting a grand piano into an upper floor apartment and the rope would break and the piano would fall on you.

Everything you do has a risk. The key is to minimize the risk against the benefits.
    Krisi

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    My advice? DON'T!

Unless your ok with someone u know recognizing u 2!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    My wife only went out with me near home to our local support group. However we live within a half day's drive of Las Vegas and we went out there on several occasions. Our biggest concern was the last 100 yards to our front door since we lived close to family. I've encountered people I know thousands of miles from home, but I've gone into major crowded events and gone all day without seeing anyone I recognized and the latter is much more common than the former. Much more common in fact. I've been going to Las Vegas a couple times a year for nearly 20 years and have yet to run into someone I know, and most of my time down there is presenting as Sarah.

Movies are a good option, particularly with the same movies being played at multiple locations. You can pick a spot where you think the two of you will be less likely to run into people you know and give it a try. If you're concerned enough you may do a dry run drab just to see what you'll be running in to.

But as so many others say, it's always a possibility. So be prepared even if you've done everything possible to reduce the probabilities.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.