Thread: Definitions.

Definitions. In general.

Ok, I know this is a heated topic and that there is a good chance this thread will be closed (and I'll be flamed by basically every member on here),but something has began to get to me on this forum and I think some others.

So definitions... Of words...

I know we may not like to admit it, but words (not saying which words or I'll be burned on the stake), by their nature, have a definition/meaning. Now this definition can vary depending on the source, but to those people who used that particular source of information, that is, in their mind, the word's definition/meaning.

Now there are these things called a dictionary/ies which attempt to gather all the information, to the best of their ability, to assign a common definition/s to a word so the general public can have some sort of consensus on the meaning. This is done to avoid confusion in conversation etc.

Now I know that these dictionary terms also slightly differ and may not be 100% spot on, but I think that if somebody does decide to use a dictionary definition of a word (which most of us were taught to do in school), can we please not have such a bad reaction and consider that the person is only using that word in the way they do because as far as they are aware, and to many other people out there, that's what the word means.

Im not saying we can't have our own views on words and their definitions, but I think we should at least "accept" dictionary definition for what they are. I know sexuality isn't as clear cut as many other things out there and the words used to describe sexuality can very varying, but please show the same respect to people who decide to use the dictionary definition as you would expect them to be respectful of your own definition of the word.

Anyway that's it. hope some can agree.

Edited: Sorry girls I know you all like steak!
    Last edited by Kas; 11-18-2017 at 11:48 AM.

Kas,

If you need someone to cut the ropes and help you down from the stake before they light the fire I have your back.

Kas,

I have your back, too. I would glady eat a steak with you, but I would never burn you at a stake.

It is funny what you are asking because, ironically enough, I called the store that I shopped at last night and talked with the SA that helped me. I asked her about the GG that took the second, third, and I think, fourth looks at me - the SA said that the lady just said, "Well, I guess it is different strokes for different folks" (the GG was behind me in line and had to have overheard the SA and me conversing). I found this to be hillarious, even though I was nervous as hell in the store and during my drive to get there.

I understand your question, I look to meet the definition of a CD when I get clocked. I try to get better, I want to get better.

Thanks,
    Bella

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Hmmm? (a word I use quite often) I love steak! It'z werds eye git confuzed wif sumtymes. Thank something for spellcheck.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

I'm not going to flame you Kas but I'll be very matter of fact.

You can be literal all you want regarding the word deviant but there is nothing you can say here or anywhere else which will convince me that calling one who is gay or lesbian deviant is somehow a good thing. I take offense on behalf of close family members and friends who are what you seem to think is OK to call deviant based upon a strict and literal interpretation of a darned book. That will never make it OK.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Yes Sara exactly, that's is "your" view on that particular word and that's fine. It's impossible to keep 100% of people happy using a single definition which was the entire point of my post. Just because you see it one way, doesn't mean people shouldn't be allowed to see it in the way they want, even if it doesn't align with your personal views.

I personally don't think the word deviant is offensive and I am allowed to have that view. Just as you can have yours. The point is that it is stupid to argue over because nobody is right or wrong.

In the thread you are referring to, the OP wasn't trying to use it in an offensive manner so why take it that way?

If everybody stopped getting so hung up over individual words this would be a much better place.
    Last edited by Kas; 11-18-2017 at 12:03 PM.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Kas, u spent too much time commenting on what folks will reply and not enuff on the point of your post. If u wish us to agree with your definitions, u need some specifics. We can likely all agree to use dictionary definitions.

But, until u or someone posts actual words and their dictionary definitions? It's all a pretty pointless discussion!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Hi Sherry,

I'm not saying we should decide on a definite definition for words. I am saying that if somebody does decide to use a word in a way that we personally do not agree with, we should acknowledge that it could simply be because that person has a different understanding of the word and that it's not them purposely trying to cause offence or "trolling", as I have been accused of.
    Last edited by Kas; 11-18-2017 at 12:25 PM.

We are among. a group that is trying to refine definitions (shades of gray, if you will) of ourselves, and to understand more fully the differences between sex and gender, and variants under those umbrella terms. Many of us are older and grew up with dictionaries at our side in school. I want to be open minded, but still struggle with the expanding list and uses of pronouns, as we are losing precision in the name of correctness. I know from my basic education, under graduate and graduate degrees, and a law degree, that a single person is not "they", for instance. As much as I want to, I can't wrap my head around pronoun misuse -- apparently many feel the same becaue of the attempts to introduce "ze" and other genderless pronouns. We need common agreement on definitions and usage or we'll devolve into a world of babble.

YMMD.
    Rhonda
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Be all the woman that you can be!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    . . . and now, On With The Show!

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I must have missed that post and I like steak !!!

Platinum Member
    Me too Tracii. I had to go back and locate the thread. I missed it last night. Anyway, so the word is deviant. I think I made the suggestion numerous times on threads. Do not let a single word many of which are toxic define you or something you do. I've seen it time and time again over my seventy years. Rather than speak in sentences and paragraphs a person tries to wrap it all up with one word with a bow on top. It does not work. Any word may have multiple meanings. It can be a verb or a noun or an adjective or adverb. Throw in a little non verbal communication; facial features. Or use some voice inflections. Then everyone is raising fists and slugging it out.

If I am out and about en femme and minding my own business and a woman behind me (Bella #3 above) were to call me a "deviant" with hurtful intent, I would consider that totally different than her saying my attire is a total "deviation" from the norm for a man without intent to be hurtful.

Talk in complete coherent sentences and paragraphs.

Might I suggest that the OP look up, and understand, the distinction between connotation and denotation before expounding further on dictionary definitions.
    The end of fear is the beginning of wisdom -- Bertrand Russell

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Maybe some people are just too sensitive when it comes to how a word is "delivered".
    My pet peeve is people that say a sentence and deliver it as a question.
    Example: A radio ad I heard for a pet supply store. "So your dog just called? and he wants healthier dog food

The trouble with definitions is that Language is fluid and things can change over time.

It can also be difficult, as some will get what they think is the right definition, but not even all dictionaries are the same.

Kas that is why most label threads always have difficulties.

I agree that that we need to be respectful of others.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Might I suggest that the OP look up, and understand, the distinction between connotation and denotation before expounding further on dictionary definitions.
    Kathtx,

I understand denotation and connotation. I guess I must have just missed the rule saying we aren't allowed to use the literal meaning of words.
    Last edited by Kas; 11-18-2017 at 01:10 PM.

Kas - you have a basic misunderstanding of dictionaries. They don't define words. They document how words have been used in edited, published sources in the past. If you look up a medical term in a dictionary meant for lay people it's not going to give you a rigorous medical definition.

Beyond that, words have an emotional impact that is rarely documented in dictionaries. Shading your use of language to minimize the negative effect is one of the components of politeness. Shading your language to maximize the negative impact or to cause an angry reaction is one of the components of rudeness. On this site, it's also part of the definition of trolling. There is no defense for that.

At any rate, this is a forum on "MTF Crossdressing" not dictionaries. Thread closed.
    Last edited by Pat; 11-18-2017 at 01:21 PM.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Wow!

Might I just remind all the members who have posted nasty comments in this thread of the board rules. This is in the Rules - Rights of Content: -

Ridiculing members/non-members, or the manner in which they express themselves. This includes any complaint about the way females, males, transgendered, or any other cross-section of the membership dress, the way they express themselves (such as spelling and language skills, and any mention of religious beliefs, political preferences and affiliations, sexual preference, etc.)

Anymore threads like this or posts will result in me kicking you off this board... IS THAT CLEAR ENOUGH FOR YOU TO UNDERSTAND????
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn