Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you think long hair is in for senior SO, or shorter hair is best ?

Do you think long hair is in for senior SO, or shorter hair is best ?

In malls or on the streets, I notice lots older SO's wearing shorter hair.
    was wondering if its because its less maintenance that they wear their hair short.

I myself always like long hair now I have to wear a wig ,because of hair thinning .

I Would like to have your point of view on what you observed.

Thank You,

Rayleen

Older women do seem to favor shorter hair, easier to maintain and like us, their hair also tends to thin and become frizzy as well. Also sometimes a longer hair style seems to age you more.
    I wore the longer of my two wigs to church last week and I did have two of the women comment that the shorter wig looked better on me.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I have noticed as women age they tend to go with shorter styles.
    Its just preference I guess.
    My hair is past the center of my back.

Strictly individual choice, but women of any age who choose short hair usually cite ease of maintenance in their list of reasons for it. (And the more important reason -- they think it looks cute on them.) Personally, I like my long hair but probably because it's novel for me. I do note that I spend more time with it up or pony-tailed than down.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Platinum Member
    I can only speak for me I have abought 3/4
    Down my back silver / blonde hair thick
    And a delitful pain in my butt .... washing
    Brushing primping braids hair things blow dryers
    In my eyes ..., hair spray

I love it ... it's soooo me

Walking down the beach long silver / blonde
    Hair in a high poney tail or blowing in thevbreaze
    Messy and everywhere .... yes mid that
    With a skimpy black bikini big sunglasses
    And of corse whor_ red lipstick ....and over
    Done. Mascara ....

I am 60 going on 21 long hair yes....
    we love it....

IMHO, long hair is better on younger women. However, I for one, do NOT like the extremely short hair favored by many older women. Ease of care seems to be their priority, not looking nice.
    Hugs, Carole

Yes, senior woman prefer the shorter cuts for it's ease of care. BUT most woman I know still strongly care about how they look.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    Yeah, it's mainly that shorter hair is just easier to care for when you are older.

Fact is, when your hair turns grey, it also changes texture and can not be manage nearly as well as when you were younger .

When I was in my early 30s, I had hair past my shoulders (played bass rock bands) and it was very easy to manage.

Now that I am now 70, I started to to let my hair grow again about a year ago ( from a short buzz cut) and it was past my shoulders again.
    However, it is now not that easy to manage since it turned completely grey.
    So, I recently had it trimmed back to just shoulder length
    As my female hair dresser/cutter told me "Grey hair is a whole new world ...it's hard to manage.

Long grey hair can look great but, it does take some work to keep it that way.

BTW, my avatar pic is somewhat old and I'm wearing a wig in it.
    I must update it .
    Last edited by Barbara Jo; 11-18-2017 at 11:15 PM.

I've got lots of wigs, short and long. I prefer the long ones, but the short ones are easier to maintain and seem to last longer.

Most of the older women I know prefer short hair. But I'm still pretty young, so I usually go with the longer wigs. (70 is pretty young, right?)

I am 66 and I look forty so I have long Blonde hair.
    Part Time Girl

I'm 63, and have several short wigs, both colormix and completely gray. Live in a senior area, so appropriate for my surroundings. "natural " hair gone a Long Time Ago !

Silver Member
    I can tell you managing hair gets harder with age. I spend a lot of time with my wife and women friends. My wife has always been noted for her beautiful hair. As she grew older she changed her hair to match age appropriate lengths. Why do women do that? One reason is that hair on women is a decoration. My wife to this day has more hair than most young women. Her friends have hair from short to somewhat long, but most have about the same max length as other women their age do. Our daughters have hair shorter than when they were young as they are now in their 50s. Both of them took after my wife with much hair. I'm not sure that shorter hair is easier to manage. My wife and the girls all had long hair at one time. Combing, washing untangling, hair that is but length long takes a lot of time to dry and all.
    Last edited by lingerieLiz; 11-18-2017 at 09:36 PM.

Not at our house, long is in short don't get it! My wife has no problem with the same long hair she wore in her teens. Me either as far as that goes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Fran
    It's worth something just being around to Fuss!

I live in a 55 and better community and most of the women here have shorter hair. I use my own hair in girl mode most of the time and while it is short it's longer than most women of a certain age. Long gray hair tends to become unruly as the texture gets more coarse as we age.
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

After many years of trying to grow my hair to the longest length possible, occasionally getting hair extensions, and buying long wigs, I have concluded that I simply like the way I look in short hair better. Of course that's relative - "short" by female standards is about shoulder length, which would still be pretty long for a guy.

- Diane

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymees22 View Post
    snip - -Long gray hair tends to become unruly as the texture gets more coarse as we age.
    This is not true. my hair now is much finer then when I was younger. It is also a color between white and super white beach/sun bleach blond. It is so fine sewing thread is much heavier.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

My wife's hair was at least waist length to the day she died, at age 62. She could hold it to one side, and the ends would go past her wrist. Even when she gave up covering the grey/white that was dominating her hair in her 50's, she refused to go for a short style.

I am 62, but I look and dress more like I am in my late 40's, at the oldest. I normally wear a 20" to 16" wig, with no grey at all in them. The longer one falls to just below my breasts. I could possibly go as short as 14", which would just come to rest on my shoulders. Anything shorter doesn't look good on my face shape, in my opinion.

I have several lesbian lady friends who say I would look better in a shorter style. I think that is a matter of opinion.

Banned Read only
    Rayleen,
    I seriously do think it makes a big difference , I'm not saying long hair is only for younger ones , but we do have to very careful when we reach a certain age that we can start to look like Macbeth Witches in long dark hair . I have been amazed how short a wig I can wear and still look OK, my male hair isn't up to it (sorry I'm not a MIAD ) also going blond or salt and pepper is a great compromise , whereas my first wig was my natural colour ( as my picture on my profile page ).

Short hair is easy maintenance , and usually makes a person look younger if the cut is right , male foreheads are usually more prominent so I feel a fringe (bangs ?) helps to soften and feminise that area. Also shorter hair with soft curls can make a face look rounder , again men have heavier features and usually longer faces .

Hair/wigs really is the make or break look for a CDer depending how convincing you want to be , hopefully if it looks right you will feel more comfortable being out and meeting the public .

It depends on the person. I think longer hair looks better on me ( I'm 68) and some older women look better with short hair There is no hard and fast rule. My wife, who is my age has longish gray, curliest hair and she looks fabulous!!!
    Please call me Lisa!

A long full wig helps to cover my neck and blend my shoulders. If I can get to the weight I want my neck is pretty skinny but right now it is muscular and best covered up.

And I love long hair, I call it the angst of a bald woman.

The women I am around with mprning have their hair collar length or shorter just observing

As far as fashion, older woman due tend to wear shorter styles, but it is really an individual thing. I would say most of my friends have long hair. Even this couple I know, they are just the cutest couple with their long white hair.

I have to admit that long gray hair is one of my minor fetishes. Especially if it is thick and braided. Luckily, I live in an area with lots of cowgirls and unreconstructed hippy chicks so there's plenty of long gray hair to admire. My own hair was nearly to my waist until a year or so ago but there was nothing feminine about it with my receding hairline and thinning. I finally just cut it all off in disgust.

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    Let's not loose site of the fact that there are some exceptions to most every "rule".

Example ....
    I had a long time friend... a life long alcoholic who died at the age of about 70 years old .
    He had a full head of hair like a teenager... soft and luxurious... and not one grey hair.. not even one .
    We uses to kid him about it, saying he must be wearing a wig, etc .

Having said that, for most, the texture of the hair does change when it turns grey.
    No, not for all but, for most. .
    Last edited by Barbara Jo; 11-19-2017 at 02:48 PM.

It does seem like most women my age have shorter hair. But if I were a real woman I would like to think I would have kept my hair longer, like well below the shoulders.

I'm bald on top so I need a wig. I have mostly longer hair wigs. Rather than making me look older, I think they make me look younger, like I'm in my 40s, not my 60s.

But that's just me.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.