Thread: Not ready for this time of year.

Not ready for this time of year.

Fall weather is fast approaching, I was out shopping for winter tires today.I live in Southern Ontario near the Great lakes and we get lots of snow.I love going out dressed for a drive or a short walk but when the snow flies I don't have a ladies coat or boots to wear out.I want a femme coat and maybe a boot with a heel,womens gloves maybe a hat. I need to go shopping.Won't let the weather keep me from going out.
    Everything you always wanted is on the other side of fear.George Addair.

Tell me about it.. I was thinking about that today while I was looking at the weather. Guess that means I am going to have to do some shopping again .. oh darn😉😉 <3 Aubri <3

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    Yep, the trick is to try to stay ahead of it. Because it can & does come quickly & unexpectedly soon.

And you don't want to find yourself in a wardrobe pickle! Either freeze, or substitute with a men's version that you already own? Bleh. No good options there.

Even if it's only one of each of the things that you absolutely need, due to budget constraints, it's better than nothing.

In which case, make sure whatever it is works well with all sorts of looks & occasions, in terms of color/style/warmth/practicality, etc.

And "timeless classic" can be really good... Because before you know it, spring will be here!

So, you want quality stuff that you can still wear, winter after winter.

Oh, and yeah... Try not to go too nuts. Because you know what? There's always next fall/winter to pick up more things so you can expand your cold-weather wardrobe. This is definitely a multi-year process, IMO.

On some minor levels, I do feel a bit bad for those CD'ers who live in the warmer climates.
    Because you know what? They are missing out, as *true* winter dressing can be such a fun & whole new ballgame!

Here in Cali the weather forecast for Thanksgiving Day is 95 degrees. I just bought a cute sweatshirt and vest from Hollister but when am I going to get to wear them?
    Carries a spray bottle of "pink fog" around with her in her purse at all times.

Excellent boots for your winter weather and made in Canada too, La Canadienne. I wear a women's 9 1/2 in closed toe shoes and boots and they fit perfectly. They are real leather (most of them), waterproof and have a small amount of insulation between the outer and inner layers of the boot shaft. Actually, they can be a bit too warm here in the mild winter San Francisco Bay area. I have a dark brown flat heel riding boot style pair, and a black mid heel (3+ inches) black pair. I got mine on eBay, basically new for less than US$100 each. For a winter coat, you can go for a longer or mid length wool or wool blend coat or some other style that meets your needs and style of dressing. Do not forget the stretchy wool glove to keep your hands warm. Pick up a couple of different soft wool scarves and you are ready to go out, stay warm and have fun.

LOL we just got a great northern here today in central Texas. So a cold night of about 40 degrees. So in the deep south it gets cold too.
    Part Time Girl

Silver Member
    Both my wife and I have women's fur coats. We have suffered through over 30 years of never needing fur coats. We bought them about 5 years ago to wear them up north on a planed vacation that didn't work out. I don't miss cold weather.

40 degrees... "Cold."

Being from the hot and humid south this is my favorite time of the year, not to cold and not to hot! Well usually anyway it's been a little warm up until this past week.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Fran
    It's worth something just being around to Fuss!

Yeah 40 degrees is cold it was 86 yesterday. So we don't get too many cold fronts.
    Part Time Girl

Only half-kidding.

I realize wide temp swings can wreak havoc on the body & mind.

Plus, regional differences can also come into play. Meaning, a native population of a particular city might be bundling up when it's like 55 out... Meanwhile, visitors from a colder climate will be wearing shorts & a tee there -- and people will be looking at them like they're crazy!

Anyway, not sure why finding a winter coat is so hard for me. Has to be perfect, in my mind. Easier just to wear a cold-weather hoodie or something these days.

I used to have an awesome women's wool peacoat in a charcoal color, back in my en-femme days. Loved that thing! Went well with so much.

Also had a really stylish women's black leather jacket, which looked super-sexy on me.

Ugh, I guess I miss some GG-outerwear. But too femmy for me these days. Ah, well.

My first time out was last spring. So, as fall approached I realized that I would need a woman’s coat if I wanted to be going out in the winter. I do a fair amount of shopping in drab, but found that getting a coat in drab was just not working. So on a recent trip I decided that I needed to do some en femme shopping for the explicit purpose of getting a coat. Ended up going to a thrift store and found the perfect coat along with two dresses, all for under $60. This pic is from a week later just before going out on the Mag Mile in Chicago. Lots of walking that night and it was only 35 degrees, so I was really glad to have the new coat (boots also helped)...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Oh! You Pretty Things ... Come join us for:
    Paint the Town Chicago (Feb 23-26, 2023)
    More info here -> https://linktr.ee/PtT2023