Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will proper wigs make me more passable?

Will proper wigs make me more passable?

I have never worn a wig before and have never considered my face as feminine enough to pass even with a proper wig and makeup. So all my dressing has been clothing only in the comfort of my home. Will going to a wig store and getting a proper style get me passable enough to go out in public do you think?

Just asking about your experiences with this since I haven't posted a face pic here. :-)

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    As with other girls, I do have a favorite go to wig that just frames my face perfectly. And, I have that style in different colors. Not the most expensive but, it just seems to be the exact correct style and fit.
    Now then, passing is yet another thing. A lot of us feel as though passing is a secondary issue when you just own the situation.

Same wig. Different colors.

4238p.JPG3648gp.JPG
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

I have looked at Instagram and other sites, and I have noticed that a thicker and long wig,
    will make your face look narrower, so therefore it will make your profile look more feminine.

Just my 2 cents worth, happy wig shopping , Hugs

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    If you have never posted a pic how would we know? There is no way we could answer that question.
    You have never worn a wig or make up how would you know if it makes you look more like a woman?
    Remember passing is hard for most CDs very few actually do pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Stilleto Gurl View Post
    Will going to a wig store and getting a proper style get me passable enough to go out in public do you think?

Just asking about your experiences with this since I haven't posted a face pic here. :-)
    Very few crossdressers are completely passable but a realistic wig will make you more passable. Wigs, makeup and jewelry all help immensely if used correctly.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Banned Spammer
    Exactly right Ressie

Yes, absolutely. Its opened a whole new world. It’s fun going through wig catalogs or web sites. I have long, short, straight, curly wigs in different colors. Like other things in our world, deciding which one to wear is fun depending on outfit, mood, occasion, etc. the better ones can be pricey, but are worth it. I think you will be pleased and surprised what a difference there is. It does take time and practice to style, which is fun. Like my wife, you’ll have good and bad hair days. Good luck.

Platinum Member
    As stated before by others, if being passable is your goal, you may well be over reaching. A nice wig, well suited to the shape of your face and skin color can certainly improve your appearance and help you blend in. By all means go to a shop and get fitted and styled by a pro.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    The right wig for your face will certainly help but there's a lot more to it than that for passing; your mannerisms, the way you walk and move, your voice, I could go on. But, bair in mind very few of us pass but we still go out there. If you look good and have the confidence you'll be okay.
    Last edited by DIANEF; 11-20-2017 at 08:38 PM.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

i would say if you really took your time choosing and paid abit more for a wig it will be helpful.

My wig is always the most expensive thing I’m wearing, usually cost more than everything else added together. It’s not a question of passing, it’s about trying to look my best, which I do for me and no one else.

IMO if you want a more feminine looking face, get a wig that will give you a rounder faceshape.
    Oh! You Pretty Things ... Come join us for:
    Paint the Town Chicago (Feb 23-26, 2023)
    More info here -> https://linktr.ee/PtT2023

Banned Read only
    Yesterday at the mall I encountered a sales associate who had a buzz cut. There was no doubt she was a natural woman. I see many women with rather short hair. If it is styled correctly the look can look cute. The problem is you know you are a man wearing women's clothing, so that's what your mind is seeing. What qualifies as a feminine face? I see some picture postings of plus size women on this site. They have fuller rounder faces than some who are thin or even too skinny. A fuller face tends to obscure angular features and the Adam's Apple. A long wig helps soften the angular facial features and obscure the Adam's Apple.

My personal obstacle for going out in the day time is my height. Yes, I've heard time and time again there are tall women. Not too many are six foot without adding the additional height of a three inch heel. I have pictures of myself among a group of women and I tower over them. I will draw the attention of anyone I encounter. But, what if I were an ordinary misses' height of five foot seven. A nice wig will soften my facial features which are angular. Maybe I would wear a pair of sunglasses. Maybe I would wear a sweater dress to obscure the Adams's Apple. I'm trying to say that it is the total package and not just a wig. If you're worried about the female form/figure not all women have a Barbie doll exaggerated figure. Properly fitting dresses will aid with that.

I've found many women identify themselves with their hair. If you want to see if a wig will work to solve any insecurities buy an expensive wig before spending a lot of money on a wig made of natural hair. It may give you the confidence to go further.

To the OP's original question--you need to post some pictures both before and after if we're to be able to give you an answer. And don't be surprised if you don't get the answer you want.
    Jon

Simple answer is yes. Go to a wig store. They will help pick out the right wig.

My friend's wanted me to stop wearing them , so I've grown my hair and have it dyed. The last wig I was wearing, was this short bob. A couple people commented at the time about my new hair style, no wig. I thought at the time, like really you thought that was my real hair.
    Last edited by Jean 103; 11-19-2017 at 12:33 PM.

Banned Read only
    No question about it , I remember the first time I put a wig on with full makeup, I looked in the mirror and the guy had disappeared ! I used the picture as my first avatar for a while. That series of pictures meant so much to me , a turning point I found I could really pull this off and finally let my femme side out of the closet. Now I'm comfortable going out socially , you have to try it to find your true self .
    Last edited by Teresa; 11-19-2017 at 01:49 PM.

Like Teresa above my post, the first time I looked into the mirror, with the right wig, I disappeared and she was there. I strongly agree that the right wig, whether expensive or not, makes a whole lot of difference. I had many wigs that I thought were good wigs but I still saw myself when looking into the mirror. Once I found my wig, I ordered 2 of them There are many wig shops out there dying to get your business, visit a few and see what they have to offer.
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

Banned Spammer
    Remember if you go to a professional wig shop listen to the assistant they are the pros and know what works and what doesn't.
    One wig you may love and one you may want so bad may not look good on you so leave your mind open to other choices.
    Thats why you go to a professional they will have hundreds of wigs to choose from.
    Buy a quality wig it will last you a long time with proper care.
    No need to break the bank on one but don't buy a super cheap one.

Passing is a myth. The vast majority of us will be "made" in short order when out in public. "Blending", on the other hand, is a realistic goal. Hair is an important part of that. When a part of an age and venue appropriate look, you will escape notice more often and when you do not, you will find that people will politely accept the presentation and act accordingly.

My first experience at a small well stocked wig shop was amazing. The owner was more than friendly and helped me choose a wig that looked right for me, and it was not the blonde one that I longed for (that came later). She readily admitted that she had many male customers and made me feel completely comfortable. If you get lucky like me you won't forget the fun experience.

Will adding a wig allow you to pass as a women in public? Unlikely.

For me the hair completes the look and turns me from drab to Abbey, the hair is the biggest part of the transformation for me
    OMG!! Owning my femininity .... and I LOVE it!

Definitely, look at the boy mode/girl mode pictures in the picture portion of the forum.
    Please call me Lisa!

I agree that a professional wig shop will give you the best help. However, one thing that you need to consider is that their prices are usually the highest, significantly higher than other sources, sometimes for the same quality wig. If you are just starting out, then you should also consider how often you dress up completely now, how long and if you go out now or in the future. I personally recommend looking for a beauty supply store more popular in larger cities. The ones I am talking about are usually closer to the inner city and sell a lot of inexpensive and sometimes cheaper quality beauty products, and have a decent wig selection of various colors, styles and lengths, including some human hair blend or full human hair wigs at very reasonable prices, from $30 to a little over $100. They usually have someone who has experience fitting wigs (not as good as the professional shops, but still good enough for a beginners needs). That way you can try a few styles on and see for yourself what works for you. If you pick the wrong first wig at least you will not be out $200-$300 dollars. Over time, you will know what works and can start buying online where the prices go down for the same quality. Later after you know what works for you, that expensive wig professional can help you find the perfect wig. Also, sta7y away from a pure human hair wig, because most of them need to be styled aftereach wash, which for a beginner can be a daunting task to say the least. Good luck and have fun.

According to my hair stylists, your wig will make or break your appearance. A cheap, bad fitting wig is just that--shouts what it is to the observer.

Jodi

I asked my SO yesterday about going out in public for the first time. She said sure, but only if I buy myself a new wig!! I've just got a cheap $20 costume wig and she said even though she like the colour, she thinks I definitely need Something better. Oh well I'm not complaining... I was always worried she would have an issue with wigs and now she's telling me to go buy a better one! Yay! Any good brands you are aware of I should be looking at?

The wig is a magic device.
    It will instantly transform you into every bit the woman you wish to be.
    Hell.... when I donned mine for the first time, I lost my male genitalia. It just vanished. Amazing.
    There resides within me a Woman, and she is powerful.
    She has been my Grace and Bearing on the stormiest seas.
    I could no more deny Her than I would my own soul.