Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will proper wigs make me more passable?

As many have stated, passing is rare if people look closely enough. Blending in is what many of us are after, and for that I'd say that a good quality wig will help. Going to a store and trying several on and getting SA advice will go a long way to get hair that properly fits your face.

IMO, a good wig makes a huge difference. A cheap wig is a cheap wig and can be spotted from afar.
    Being passable is based on several things and having a good head of hair is part of it.
    I have a synthetic wig from a wig store and another human hair wig. When I bought the human hair wig I spent an hour with the owner of the store ad she had me try on a dozen different styles with a wide range of prices, both human and synthetic. The human hair wig I purchased is superior compared to my other one. The synthetic model hangs well enough but there is a difference when I move. The human hair wig acts like real hair.
    They/Them
    I love dressing as a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Stilleto Gurl View Post
    Will going to a wig store and getting a proper style get me passable enough to go out in public do you think?
    It certainly can't hurt! But unless you're in the 1% that can pass, you're not going to pass, no matter what you do to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by BettyMorgan View Post
    . A cheap wig is a cheap wig and can be spotted from afar.
    As can male bodies in dresses. Unless all of the rest of you resembles a female, a wig isn't going to make much of a difference in whether you pass or not. It's not all about the hair. It's the whole person.

I think the hair thing basically comes from the fact that if a guy has long hair, and is seen from behind, SOMETIMES he will get mistaken for a woman. But full frontal? Nope. Way too many clues that it's a dude. Facial structure, adams apple, hands, feet, knobby knees/legs, lack of any hourglass curve to the waistline, the way we walk, the way we talk, the list just goes on and on.
    Last edited by sometimes_miss; 11-20-2017 at 06:54 AM.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

This comes from a closeted girl, so factor this into my reply. I do agree the majority of us will not pass, including myself. I envy those who do in a creepy way! Anything you can do to make yourself "blend in" or not draw attention to yourself helps. A better wig will certainly go a long way to doing that. They're like the icing on the cake, so to speak. They're not cheap, trust me I know, as many of us do. However the extra expense of a better wig is worth the expenditure, if you can afford it.

You're free to wear a pink wig if you like but, how many women actually wear pink hair or wigs on a daily basis? This has been discussed to death but, if you really want to blend in, dress like most women do. Most women don't wear mini dresses and heels to the supermarket or to run basic errands. Save those outfits for nighttime, special occasions (Halloween, New Years, etc..) Jeans, shorts, sun dresses, yoga pants, tee shirts, appropriate blouses, etc.. may not be very sexy or our idea of feminine clothing. IMHO if you're goal is to pass or draw as little attention to yourself as possible, don't dress like you're auditioning to be a VS catalog model...as fun as that might be! : )

There's a lot of things that go into making oneself "passable". A wig is just one of many. The key to going out publicly and not drawing attention to yourself (passing) is to wear what most women wear....in other words don't go to extremes in clothing, makeup, jewelry, and wigs. Virtually all CD'ers who go out will have times when they're spotted so be prepared for that.

Reality Check
    Quote Originally Posted by Stilleto Gurl View Post
    I have never worn a wig before and have never considered my face as feminine enough to pass even with a proper wig and makeup. So all my dressing has been clothing only in the comfort of my home. Will going to a wig store and getting a proper style get me passable enough to go out in public do you think?

Just asking about your experiences with this since I haven't posted a face pic here. :-)
    Nobody here can tell you if a good wig will make you "passable", but you'll certainly look more like a woman with a feminine wig that without one unless you have long hair and no bald spots.

I suggest getting a decent wig for dressing. Even if you don't go out in public, you will look much more like a woman at home.

BTW: Many people have commented about "passing". To me, passing is a moving target. A crossdresser might "pass" in one situation but not another. For example, many of us could "pass" to a person walking or driving by if we're sitting on a park bench or walking down the sidewalk in the city. Or window shopping in a crowded mall.

That same crossdresser would probably not pass walking into a restaurant, sitting down and ordering lunch. There's too much time for others to study her and of course she would have to use her voice to order lunch.

And I've probably said this a hundred times but if you are six feet tall and hope to pass, don't make yourself six feet, three or four inches tall by wearing heels. Wear flats. Give yourself a chance.
    Last edited by Krisi; 11-20-2017 at 10:04 AM.
    Krisi

My advice on wigs comes from own poor choice.

I went to a wig shop and was helped by a very nice sales associate who did a great job with selecting and fitting my wig. The problem is that I went in with a poorly chosen set of criteria for what I wanted in a wig. I wanted a wig that would hide my male features so I picked one that was slightly longer than shoulder length, curly, and covered my ears. It looked absolutely fantastic during the fitting. Unfortunately ever since then it just looks like an angry mop on my head because there is too much hair, too much curl, and is just a very complicated wig to style on my own.

Next time I am going to select a much simpler hairstyle that I can style on my own and one that appears more like a natural every day style that women wear.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Ressie View Post
    Very few crossdressers are completely passable but a realistic wig will make you more passable. Wigs, makeup and jewelry all help immensely if used correctly.
    I agree 100% with that.

If a cross-dresser wants to move about in public without attracting excessive unwanted attention, it's best to give off as many feminine cues as possible. So you find clothing and body shaping accessories appropriate to your age and shape, you practice with makeup to feminize your face and skin, pick accessories and shoes need to fit your planned activity as well. Your attitude and mannerisms have been adjusted to be feminine as well and all of this needs to fit somewhat with what you have observed the women in that same environment are wearing and doing. So after ALL that work on makeup, mannerisms, picking the right outfit and becoming comfortable wearing a purse, why not get a good wig? The proper wig will change your look markedly, in fact you'll find scores of posts here on CD.com suggesting the wig is a nearly magical thing.

So yeah, get a reasonably good wig and don't be afraid to work with the pros at your local wig shop. There is a shop near me that is a "member" of our support group and refers potential members to us on a regular basis. They understand and will not be surprised to have you walk in as want to look at wigs with feminine styling and length.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Like the others have said a wig that fits you in style and color will make a big difference in presentation. That said, it is still the overall look and demeanor that really makes a difference. I think that attitude makes a big difference. If you act confident and look like you belong then people will assume or at least be reluctant to challenge your presentation. If you appear nervous or skittish then you attract attention. There are plenty of women who are not the best looking or have curvy figures, but they act like they belong because they do. Most of our interactions are fleeting, so if the person sees a confident person, then there is a moment of doubt. If not, who cares you'll probably never see them again.

Hi Stilleto Gurl; "Will going to a wig store and getting a proper style get me passable enough to go out in public do you think?"

Probably not. Just getting a wig is only part of the equation. But I remember the first time I put on makeup and then a wig; I just stared into the mirror looking at this pretty woman and not even caring what just happened to the man. It is one of those moments that will stick with you for the rest of your life. I am different than most here, I say go to a costume shop and buy a couple or a few cheap wigs, take them home and play around with them and see which one you like the best, use that as your benchmark for shopping for a better wig. I think mannerisms, dress to blend, then wig and makeup is the order to getting out. For me, I get clocked just buying a pack of cigarettes; so what do I know Lots of good advice here. Just have fun! Take care, Brenda

Queen of Chinatown jennifer0918's Avatar
    Ok from my own experience and from tips from my makeup artist go to a wig store,no Halloween wigs or party city wigs. A $20 wig will do don't spend too much that's crazy!Synthetic are great look great also.
    Get a facial done at a salon. Get a clean close shave and use a good razor. Get a professional makeover CDing is an art and we are the canvas for a painting of our souls. So yes get a good makeover.
    I have been going out en femme for about 13 years been dressing since I was 8 or 10 years old. My first times out were quick but I just kept pushing it a little further and now I'm here. I know I don't pass to save my life,my shoulders, my back,and my hands give me away.

You tell me. This is me, with and without my human-hair wig. In the with-wig photo, I also have feminine eyeglasses, makeup, and of course my breast forms and female clothing. But in my opinion, that wig is the biggest feminizing factor.

A good wig shop can help you select a wig that looks right with your complexion and face shape. A good quality human-hair wig will look better and move more like real hair than a cheap one will. But even an $80 synthetic wig can do a lot to feminize your appearance.

Will it work magic for everyone? Obviously not. There are lots of MtF ladies who would never truly 'pass', no matter how well they try to do makeup, or how good the wig. And you also need to work on voice, speech patterns, movement and many other factors if you really want to 'pass'. I don't know what you look like, so I can't say for sure if a wig will be 'enough' to help you pass.

I just know what works for me. I go where I please as a woman, and get no bad reactions. I get accepted as a woman and addressed as a woman, pretty much wherever I go. The only people who usually make it clear that they know I am trans are ones who are familiar with the tells to look for, or people that I have told, or someone who has seen the male gender marker on my ID, or people who hear my voice when I am quite tired and less than usually careful to keep it sounding feminine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ceera; 11-20-2017 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Kelly View Post
    Passing is a myth. The vast majority of us will be "made" in short order when out in public. "Blending", on the other hand, is a realistic goal. Hair is an important part of that. When a part of an age and venue appropriate look, you will escape notice more often and when you do not, you will find that people will politely accept the presentation and act accordingly.

What Kelly said... Truth!
    If you are a genetic male, that has had testosterone coursing in your body since puberty and decades beyond... the chances that will pass are extremely slim. I’ve seen photos of transwomen who have been on hormones for two and three years, had facial feminization surgery and STILL have a hard time passing as a woman.

With that in mind, a wig can make huge strides toward blending or at least being made but without negative attention.

For a long time I didn’t have a wig and thought to wear a hijab. I love the feeling I get from wearing a hijab and how it looks when I’m able to tie and pin it correctly.

But when I got a wig and then tweezed it and worked the part, the difference was remarkable. And I didn’t even spend that much. I think I got my go-to wig (a lace-fromt) for 50 dollars on sale at one of those beauty stores that sells wigs, extensions and all kinds of things.

Check out one of those places. You won’t regret it.
    I am not a woman nor am I a man... I am an enby. Hi, I am Wren.

Quote Originally Posted by IleneD View Post
    The wig is a magic device.
    It will instantly transform you into every bit the woman you wish to be.
    Hell.... when I donned mine for the first time, I lost my male genitalia. It just vanished. Amazing.
    Where can I order that wig?

A Good wig can help tremendously, but it is more about the overall presentation.
    Last edited by nikkim83; 11-20-2017 at 11:42 PM.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/154785793@N04/
    Flickr Nickiem83
    Sephora is my drug.