Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dressing feminine but identifying as a male becoming mainstream?

Dressing feminine but identifying as a male becoming mainstream?

On more than one occasion while I was out shopping, I came across some guys with no doubt wearing feminine apparel. For example one guy was wearing what could pass as a feminine sweater. Another time, I saw a guy wearing female sandals. Recently I saw another guy wearing super tight skinny jeans and block heel boots. Within the next 10 years or so, does anyone think that this will become mainstream and acceptable with no prejudice?

Silver Member
    I think what's becoming more mainstream is a better attitude toward diversity in general. People like us are coming to believe they deserve their place in the world and the world is learning to live and let live.

Society will continue to evolve and change just as it always has. More men will likely continue to experiment with various clothing styles, but will those who do be considered "mainstream and acceptable with no prejudice within the next 10 years or so? I doubt it very much.

Karen

I didn't see what you saw, but I have seen males wear that kind of clothing and my guess because I never talked with them is that it was male clothes and that was the style, especially the skinny jeans and heeled boots (block heel right?). It was a style used by some in their age group, like goth, colored hair, piercings and tattoos. So my guess is that most who we see dressed like that are males, are not crossdressing and are wearing clothes made and sold for males. Styles keep changing and some female clothes styles and details are currently starting to bleed into the male area. Since I live near Oakland and San Francisco, California I get to see all types of styles out doing my own thing day and night. Maybe it is regional?

I hope so. I love wearing my ballet flats.

I was in Atlanta a while back and saw another guy wearing ballet flats and probably women's jeans.
    https://balletflatsformen.wordpress.com/

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    This autumn, as the evenings became rather chilly (but still fairly warm during the day), I noticed on different occasions at my place of employment, 2 truck-drivers (probably in their mid-20's & mid-40's, respectively) wearing leggings in a polyester/spandex blend. The athletic kind of deal. One pair of leggings was solid black, the other solid gray -- you know, "masculine" colors.

Of course, they both also had on long baggy shorts over them.

Assuming it had to do mainly with the wide temperature swings during their shift. But still kinda "gutsy," in most non-CD'ing men's eyes... Especially considering they were making stops at some pretty testosterone-filled places. Though I didn't hear a peep from anyone, or notice any odd looks.

Not a big deal to me, personally. But to many people, leggings are still way more associated with GG's.

Over the past few years, especially, there has been a *very* small push to leggings for men. Usually associated with some kind of physical/fitness-related activity... Basketball, running, weight-lifting, etc.

Of course, some die-hard male runners & cyclists have been wearing them for decades -- without shorts over them.

Do you see this often? No, at least not in my neck of the woods. Though I suppose if I were to hang out at running tracks or gyms, I'd see a tiny bit more?

If I saw a guy out & about in vanilla land, wearing an outfit that generally resembled mine (namely, hoodie & leggings), I wouldn't bat an eye. I might instinctively steal a few peeks ( ) like others may, but I'd just be like, "Meh, whatever. Good for him, anyway."

Of course, I'd also bet that he would be wearing the *men's* versions. Me? Not so much.

Do I ever think this kind of look would become mainstream? Heck, no.

But if a guy has a decent-enough body for it, keeps his "male-frontal thing" to a minimum (or even covered), isn't displaying full butt, and isn't wearing this hot-pink floral print with mesh insets around his thighs? I believe many people would react in a similar way as I would -- though perhaps some would still think it's a wee bit odd or "gay."

IOW, they may not necessarily mind it so much on others, provided the wearer stays within certain parameters of social acceptability. But *most* non-CD'ing guys probably wouldn't be caught dead wearing leggings, themselves -- shorts over them, or not.

Anyway, fashion trends come & go, when it comes to guys going a bit femmy. Though when one studies that from a historical perspective, it's not like any of it was ever truly mainstream, despite how much we might see/hear of it. Yes, *some* men would wear that look, at times -- but the bulk of the male population did not. And the reason why it would get so much attention in the first place, tricking one into thinking that everyone did it? Because it was never the "norm," to begin with!

Instead, it was usually mainly within a smaller, particular segment... Typically under certain circumstances, at that.

My advice to anyone here: Don't get your hopes up too much.

I've read that teens are shopping the girls dept for tighter fitting jeans. So I guess there may be some movement, now will we ever see guys wearing skirts or blouses and presenting as male I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by suzanne View Post
    I think what's becoming more mainstream is a better attitude toward diversity in general. People like us are coming to believe they deserve their place in the world and the world is learning to live and let live.
    I think we all know that the younger generation is much more accepting in general. I read somewhere recently that the membership at many mainline evangelical Christian churches is aging. And that fewer and fewer younger people are becoming members. So, in 10 or 20 years, most of the real haters will be dead. It won't help me, because I'll be dead also, but it will help those still around.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Now that it is getting colder outside I wear spandex tights when I cycle. They are a mans cycling tight and made just for cycling. I have been wearing them for years and have not given it a second thought because they are designed for men, but with that being said I work in a male dominated profession and the guys I work with know that I wear them, and yes I get a lot of kidding because I do. So if they where tights mad for a woman I think the kidding would be endless. The funny thing is that other than they where designed for a mans body shape they look the same as the ladies cycling tights. I think I could wear ladies cycling tights and nobody would know the difference.

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    Regarding the younger generation?

Remember, they eventually grow older.

And that means... Their tastes change, their values change, their bodies change, their mentality changes, etc.

Are you still the same person you were when you were a teenager, or in your 20's? Heck, no.

As we move thru life, and get more experience under our belt, and our priorities shift, who we become & subsequently how we may present ourselves in all sorts of ways to the outside world, can change, as well. Just the natural reality, of it all.

Not to be a Negative Nancy, or a Debbie Downer, but placing all one's faith in any given younger generation might not necessarily be the best place to get one's hopes up, either.

Oh, and as for religion and/or politics, which I recall is not particularly welcomed here? One could make any number of logical cases that a widely-held & arguably-misguided perception among the LGBT community, could easily be turned on its head, making them think twice about their beliefs/ideologies/persuasions.

But I shall bite my tongue.

In my younger days I was a hard core biker, four of us were going cross country in cold weather, even in chaps 3 of use would complain about cold legs after a few hundred miles, this one skinny sh*t never complained at the end of the first day we find out he is wearing pantyhose, learn from when he was a pro snow skier. Next morning skinny guy got sent out for coffee and 3 pairs of XL pantyhose. I been wearing then in cold weather ever since.

Something along the same lines is the hunting attire. The under all says I call them are pretty much the same in the male and female sections. Just different sizes. I have been wearing panty hose under my hunting gear for years. They do help in the warmth when setting in an out door stand. The tight under armour gear over those are similar to men's and women's. I don't wear the pink jackets in camp as my wife does but mine is dull white where hers is pink and very close to the same. I think there definitely is a change happening in the sports wear and one day both gender will eventually be very close if not the same. I just can't see some of the manly men wearing any pink though unless they are showing support for breast cancers.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I wear womens clothes all the time so I guess you could say I am one of those people.
    I see some guys out there doing the same thing but are deff male while doing so.
    Was out enfemme today and had on a navy blue top with flowers on it that I wear in guy mode all the time.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Question Androgenous clothing?

In my life time, there have been a number of periods when androgenous clothing for men was stylish.

But, it always fell out of fashion. My guess is the clothing u saw will fade away, too. Sadly, I mite add. But, USA males r VERY insecure about their sexuality compared to, say--, Europeans!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I think the androgynous look is coming back in a little. I wore some 3/4 length tights under some guy shorts to the super market the other day. Didn't get a single look and I have seen other guys do it before too.

I hope so or else I'm going to have to start wearing my slacks up around my arm pits with a belt and suspenders with my black socks and sandals or my velcro closing shoes.
    Last edited by Allisa; 11-19-2017 at 10:17 PM.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

Queen of Chinatown jennifer0918's Avatar
    No I don't think so I still hear a lot of negative comments when guys are wearing tight jeans

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I used to from friends back when I started wearing girls jeans.
    Friends I have made since then have only seen me wear girls jeans so to them its normal for me.
    I assume they have gotten used to it.

First things first.. yes you have to be comfortable with yourself. I'm hoping with people showing themselves a lot more that they are comfortable with themselves encourages others to be too. When I first started trying on my sister and moms clothes, we didn't have the internet or yet did I know how to read. I didn't have the resources we do today and I had no idea anyone else did the same.

Speaking generation wise, look at what wasn't acceptable 50 years ago. Learning history in school and reading about it on the internet, I looked and thought to myself that was a problem!??? Why!?!?

Society is constantly changing. Hopefully, you are part of a society that is evolving forward.
    I believe the generations that are moving up are more tolerant and accepting of the LGBTQ community, at least in my part of the world.
    Fashion, on the other hand, is a silly mistress. But more and more people are saying "Wear what you like and forget about what people think." So cheers to those who wear androgynous or women's clothing whether they identify as male or female or no gender at all. It's clothing. That's all. It's a person's actions, their character, etc that are important to a strong diverse society. And yes, I see a day when clothes won't be so binary.
    They/Them
    I love dressing as a woman.

I definitely give Under Armour the credit for making men's leggings envogue for cooler weather.

I do love women's leggings, on them (the GGs), on People of Walmart (usually a funny miscue), and on me (the jury is still out on my appearance in them, but I find them very comfy!).

Reality Check
    Quote Originally Posted by JaymeCD View Post
    On more than one occasion while I was out shopping, I came across some guys with no doubt wearing feminine apparel. For example one guy was wearing what could pass as a feminine sweater. Another time, I saw a guy wearing female sandals. Recently I saw another guy wearing super tight skinny jeans and block heel boots. Within the next 10 years or so, does anyone think that this will become mainstream and acceptable with no prejudice?
    Nope, I don't.
    Krisi

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    Society is changing, and one of the best examples is live and let live. If you don't push yourself into their face, most people don't think about what you are doing. There will always be rednecks, but you just need to learn to stay away from them. As far as some of the comments go about religion goes, stay away from the rednecks also. There are some really loving and caring people found in churches, they are the ones who are living the principles, not just playing a game!
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

It is hard to say because fashion trends tend to be so fickle. I do think current attitudes are changing for the better and TG acceptance is getting better, but that can also be fickle. It would be great to see total acceptance to openly wear female clothing without comment.

Would be great to see the trend continue, also more men are seem to be adopting better skin care routines including the use of tinted moisturiser and BB creams
    OMG!! Owning my femininity .... and I LOVE it!