Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Would you gladly Trade Places with Women at Thanksgiving

Seeing how I'm a Lions fan, I'd be better off not watching, as they usually play like turkeys on Thanksgiving. Everybody pitches in with preparing the meals and cleaning up, but it's more of a casual affair.

Long ago, in my much younger days, women actually did wear dresses, skirts, and heels at Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, etc. I remember a "team effort" to prepare, serve, and clean up afterwards that involved the women from 3 generations. Aprons to protect nice clothes, heels kicked off at certain times, "your slip is showing" comments, stockings being changed because they had run, were also common.

I didn't witness any mincing while jobs were being done, but there was lots of fashion talk and makeup repairs. Then again, I do recall one aunt with a great figure really knowing how to "strut" when she walked.

It was a different world back then, with different ways, standards, and expectations.

Karen

Reality Check
    I visited my wife's family for Thanksgiving. There were ten or more women there during the day and not one of them wore a dress. Not one of them wore heels. Not one of them wore a frilly apron. For that matter, only a couple of them did any cooking.

I (not wearing a dress) cooked the turkey, the dressing and made the gravy.

Real life is a lot different than 50s TV.
    Krisi

Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    I visited my wife's family for Thanksgiving. There were ten or more women there during the day and not one of them wore a dress. Not one of them wore heels. Not one of them wore a frilly apron. For that matter, only a couple of them did any cooking.

For many of us Women wearing dresses in the 60s and 70s was the reality. Sorry some of you didn't get to enjoy seeing the Frilly Aprons and hear the heels clscking

Even though my wife came from exactly the type of lifestyle of women in the kitchen, she has never adopted this as a must be male or female rule of life. We both cook, and both participated in cooking thanksgiving, along with a couple of others. We enjoyed a family effort, both male and female and it didn't matter the plumbing but the effort and it created a nice atmosphere of togetherness. So in some ways today where it is more accepted than perhaps 50 years ago, it is better today without the strict gender separation and creates an overall better environment. At least it does for my wife and I for holidays.
    Chickens should be allowed to cross the road without having their motives questioned

Aviatrix in Waiting Melanie Moxon's Avatar
    I have never desired to be part of the gossip circles, and frilly clothes are just not me. Sure if I could hit a magic button to wake up tomorrow as a GG I'd be over the moon. But kitchen duties would be shared (I like cooking but, to me it is not a womans job, neither is washing or cleaning), traditional gender roles hold no interest for me. It what I like about my circle of friends, when we are cooking we all muck in

Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post

You're correct Krisi, real life today, is a lot different than 50's TV. Then again, real life in the 50's was different than 50's TV as well.

Karen

Krisi is right, fifties TV is not like today's real life. But for many of us, crossdressing is about part-time fun and fantasy, and doing the June Cleaver thing is a fantasy many share.
    I'm not a Japanese schoolgirl, I'm not Chinese, and I'm not a maid, but I enjoy dressing up in a cute sailor uniform, cheongsam, or maid outfit.
    No, I wouldn't trade places, but I like a few hours of dressup fantasy.

Well Said Nicolescott ! Many of us just want to have the same fun women got to experience in their lives !

If i could present as female, and be accepted, i would trade places in a heartbeat. I'm not a sports fan and dont drink so why not help out?

I would do it as a guy just to avoid to boredom of televised parades and sporting events. Cooking is both more interesting more practical and keeps my wife from destroying our kitchen.
    I'm content being a once in a while girl.

Silver Member
    I guess I did. I wore all fem clothes. I don't try to pass it is just me wearing women's clothes. The other thing is that I'm known for my cooking. So I get asked questions about food while everyone is preparing their dishes. In our family and friends most everyone cooks or can cook.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleScott View Post
    Krisi is right, fifties TV is not like today's real life. But for many of us, crossdressing is about part-time fun and fantasy, and doing the June Cleaver thing is a fantasy many share.
    I'm not a Japanese schoolgirl, I'm not Chinese, and I'm not a maid, but I enjoy dressing up in a cute sailor uniform, cheongsam, or maid outfit.
    No, I wouldn't trade places, but I like a few hours of dressup fantasy.
    I never quite understand this 50's tv life of a woman that many here seem nearly obsessed with. Real life in the 50's was not like this for a majority. But, I suppose in some areas, especially rural areas there is some semblance of life this way. It's ironic that some want a lifestyle that was or is so rigid yet we also pine for society to be more flexible to accept us.
    Chickens should be allowed to cross the road without having their motives questioned

I don't know anything about thanksgiving but the question seems to apply to any "big occasion" family meal, such as Christmas. It is also another example of the "what does it feel like to be wearing women's clothes" when going about various tasks. Back in my youth, when I was becoming fascinated by women and their clothes, my young wife would dress smartly for Christmas day but put on her "housecoat" (overall?) to protect her best dress or skirt while getting lunch ready. Seeing her doing kitchen tasks and knowing that beneath her dress she was wearing her best bra, her nylon slip, her firm-contol girdle and stockings would set me wondering what it must feel like to be dressed that way and doing those things. While I have never been in a position to replicate exactly that situation, I have worn those clothes and can only admire the women who managed quite happily to get their work done while so attired. Of course, when society's expectations changed from the 1970s onwards, gradually the "special occasion" clothes changed as well - first to tights and a panty girdle, then to smart trousers. I can fully understand why women find that easier and more comfortable. I would still love to try it....but my wife would still say I am useless in the kitchen however I am dressed!

I already do the cooking for my family. This year I featured a smoked turkey and all the trimmings for Thanksgiving. Two things would have made the day even better: If I could have walked out of the kitchen dressed more beautifully than the bird and if some other guy had to do the dirty work outside, tending and cleaning the smoker. Yeah, I'd trade places.

"How many of you would be happy mincing about in a pretty dress..."

"mincing"??? really???

Yeah, "mincing." The OP seems to have a singular sense of femininity.
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!

Reality Check
    Being practical, cooking a big dinner while all dolled up is difficult and there's a pretty good chance you're going to spill something on your clothes even if you are wearing a frilly apron. And for us crossdressers, remember that a wig is extremely flammable and can melt from excessive heat as well.

Best plan is to cook and then go change your clothes.
    Krisi

I enjoy the company of women but I'm not one of them when it comes to girl talk. I also don't care so much about bonding with the guys watching football at this point of my life. What I saw this year was the women doing all of the work including cleaning up after the meal. I don't envy the housework that has to be done before and after the guests enjoy the day. And as others have said, they don't dress like crossdressers. They don't even wear aprons!

Ideally, I would help in the kitchen as long as didn't get in the way. And I'd love to wear the outfit in post #1.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder