Thread: How to avoid calling a TG by their proper pronoun....

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD

How to avoid calling a TG by their proper pronoun....

Virginia voters elected Dancia Roem to the House of Delegates.

Breaking a 400 year tradition of referring to each other as 'gentleman' or gentlewoman', the House has decided that everyone would be refereed to as 'delegate'.

What an overtly trans-phobic response to someone duly elected to represent.

Can't even imaging how they will handle the bathrooms

Link
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

Call her the 'chick in charge', and let 'em sort it out from there ....

I see your point but on the other hand its better to use a non gendered term than intentionally mis gendering Ms. Roem.

It should be easy.

If you present as male, use male pronouns.

If you present as female, use female pronouns.

If you present as a chicken, use 'the chicken.'

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    Kaylie,I will never again think of a rotisserie chicken the same.
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Why change anything?
    All this PC stuff is just crazy.

I'm with Tracii its getting old to try and change all this proper politically correct garbage. She's a delegate and that's what she should be called. " You know that white stuff on the top of chicken poop well guess what it's still chicken poop, no sense in being politically correct just call it what it is. If they present as a male call them Mr Delegate if they are presenting as female call them Madam Delegate. They are there to represent every one so it makes no difference their gender. Fair and impartial is how they should be. Sorry for the rant.

Unless someone's wearing a sign, I'll just continue to do my best to guess what they want to be called. And if they correct me, then I will gladly address them as they wish. But this nonsense about being offended if someone guesses wrong about what to call everyone, is getting out of hand.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Anybody remember the fuss over changing the terms "chairman," "spokesman," "fireman," etc. to non-male terms back when women's lib was the issue upsetting everyone? Lots of people complained about it at the time but we got used to it and now folks will defend it. Yeah, we're going to have to change some terminology if we're going to fit transgender folks in comfortably. People will adjust.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    If someone calls me a zie or some silly gender pronoun thing like that I swear I will cuss them out and walk away.
    I don't worry about a stupid pronoun I am a human being not a thing.

Aspiring Member
    Why not just ask her what she wants to be called?

I'm with Kayleidskope. That is the custom in the trans world and it is easy to do and remember. And it is a custom in the rest of the world as well. Most important it is respectful of another person. I understand the change to delegate, but I really don't see what is wrong with Mr. or Ms. Once again, it is respectful. Just match the presentation with the pronoun and in a more formal setting, such as the floor of the legislature, use a more formal pronoun. I don't agree with those who say the PC stuff is just nonsense.

In my opinion, one of the major problems in all the tension in this world is due to not exercising a bit of respect for each other and replacing it with "what I think is important and so I will say what I want to say, and I really don't care if you agree or not." That can be insulting to most people and that just increases tension rather than cooperation and a work together attitude. Language is a powerful tool and speaking to each other in a reasonably respectable way just creates a feeling of community which is important to such social animals like us. It is easy to do and it doesn't make a spectacle of yourself which is not really useful in social situations where language is so critical. You may disagree, but be respectful in your disagreement and perhaps a friendly compromise can be reached.

Probably odd girl out here, but it seems to me it should have been “delegate” for the past 400 years. Did they change it just because she was elected? Don’t know, but at least it is fixed. Question everything, especially traditions. Circumcisions are “tradition” but serve no useful purpose.

Titles should be neutral to not make a distinction for something earned. Imagine the outcry if in the military or corporate worlds that you had Majorwoman or CEOwoman. Doesn’t take much to see that some would see Majorwoman to seem somehow different/worse/better than Majorman.

Seems like a step in the right direction to me, regardless of why. I’ll take gender-neutral titles for the win, Alex.

Frankly, I think “gentleman” is archaic. Some would say non-existent though.

I think the bathroom question will be more telling.
    You are you. You are beautiful. Labels are worthless.

If Roem is a feminist, I suspect she welcomes being referred to as Delegate. I would. Roem was elected because of what she can do and not because of her gender.

Why should Delegates be differentiated in title according to their gender. It should make no difference whether the person holding that office is a woman or a man - and this should most definitely be reflected in the manner by which they are addressed.
    Reine

I've never heard the term "gentlewoman". It's always been ladies and gentlemen. Gentlewoman sounds weird.

I'm wondering how Danica reacts when someone does misgender her. Does she correct them, throw a fit, or laugh it off?
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Let's say she was heavily baited during the campaign and as far as I know never allowed it to distract her. She'll probably continue to do that in the Assembly.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.

Queen of Chinatown jennifer0918's Avatar
    I will say Ms.Roem congratulations.
    And carry on,or I will say gentlewoman no biggie here.
    MS.Roem rawks\m/

I have heard national politicians use the term Gentle lady when acknowledging a female member. The Gentle lady from so and so. Why should it be any different in State or Local politics.Respect to the individual is what is needed. She beat out the other not because of who she is, but because of what she stands for to the constituents. Good luck to you Danica.

Banned Read only
    If there was a decision to call the elected officials 'delegate' specifically because Ms. Roem was elected, it could be considered it a slap in her face. The non-accepting bigots would be looking for an out to not call her by her gender. It would a refusal to call her a woman. It will be interesting to hear how she will be called in the natural discourse that arises during normal conversation. I've heard the term 'gentlewoman' used. 'Delegate" eliminates any qualifier. Would anyone refer to an elected member of the assembly as "The Honorable African-American?" No.

It could be an attempt to avoid calling her a woman. It could also be an attempt to head off a distraction by those who would rise to make a big deal about not calling her a woman. They just lost that opportunity. We don't know and it's bootless to speculate.

I saw a video clip of Ms. Roem in a bar talking to someone about it -- she seemed more amused than upset. I'll take my cue off her.

Banned Read only
    Kelly,
    After reading the replies I feel they are in a no win situation, whatever title they choose, one sector or another will be upset .

Maybe Reine is right , if you stand to be elected you are a delegate , it's a gender neutral term and gender doesn't come into the criteria . We don't get hot under the collar if we see a doctor , we have accepted for years it's a gender neutral name and occupation .

Some people won't be happy until we are all calling each other "comrade" and wearing Mao suits.

"Equality, " I spoke the word as if a wedding vow
    Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now
    --Bob Dylan

It's kind of a sad commentary that it was Ms. Roem's election that prompted the change, but it was already way past time for those sexist titles to be discarded. "Delegate" is an excellent alternative - it sounds weighty and dignified without carrying any baggage of race, class or gender.

- Diane

The further we move forward as a species making progress in science, technology and society, the more I am supprised at how downright ignorant and backward people in groups can be.
    It's truly sickening and it seems to be spreading too, the “call it like I see it” thinly veiled mixture of agressive stupidity and pack mentality, humanity seemed to be making actual progress too