Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music and emotion

Aspiring Member

Music and emotion

Hi all,

On the way into work this morning the music I was listening to made me highly emotional, literally to tears.

Do any of you relate your CD life and experiences to the words and music you hear or choose to listen to?

The emotion was so powerful, to the point I had to control myself from not breaking down

Don't panic, I'm ok, but wow it's amazing what those words and instruments can do!

Have a happy day,

Miss S
    Last edited by Tamsin Secret; 11-23-2017 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Forgot to add 'CD' to help define the post and make it relevant to section.

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    I know what you mean. There are several songs which come close to bringing a tear to my eye, though what mood I'm in at the time also has an effect. Three songs in particular; This Woman's Work (Kate Bush), Scream (Echobelly), Fit (Joe Jackson).
    Last edited by DIANEF; 11-27-2017 at 07:32 PM.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

Yes, but what does it have to do with crossdressing?
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Maybe this would be more appropriate in the lounge area.
    Great subject matter tho'.
    Yes there are several songs that do that to me.

Try the first 3 songs on the U2 album Joshua Tree and think about your tg life. Gets me misty every time.
    Oh! You Pretty Things ... Come join us for:
    Paint the Town Chicago (Feb 23-26, 2023)
    More info here -> https://linktr.ee/PtT2023

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    There are a couple of songs that I just can't listen to because of the strong emotional effect. And I find there's sometimes more powerful emotion in the music as there is in the lyrics.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

"Man, I feel like a woman. Oh, Oh."
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Steffi, I feel like a woman was the song they played the only time I was on the stage at a drag show. I play jazz when I am putting on my makeup. Ressi, I guess music plays a part in at least some of our cross dressing experiences. This might not be the perfect forum but it can be made appropriate. But then I prefer the stereo on over the television.

Yes there are songs that I get very emotional about because of my cancer and crossdressing that you got to keep going and work for your dreams.
    I love listening to music were ever I go.

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    All music is an expression of emotions no mater what the genre or how old it may be.

Having said that....There are a few songs that can bring me to to a few tears.. if I let them as they either hit a "nerve" with me , or remind me of someone who I love very munch.
    However, I try not to dwell on the negative .

Anyway... off hand I would say.....

One Is 'Strawberry Fields".
    Another is Long Long Time - Linda Ronstadt.
    Last edited by Barbara Jo; 11-23-2017 at 01:51 PM.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Music is the link between us all in some way or another.
    More than lyrics for me is the emotion of the player and how much feeling they put into it.
    Some just play the piece in a technical way with no emotion others "feel " the music and pour their soul into it.

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    I don't know about tears, but a number of Soundgarden songs, especially the past few months, hit something internally with me.

As far as my girl side goes, Garbage, Hole, and the Cardigans are my guilty pleasures.
    Life is too short to be boring.

Yes I sometimes have to turn it off or change it. It can take me to another place and time, sometimes it's good sometimes not. Last night I was listening to YES on the way home, it took me to a good time in my life.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Yes, as a former musician myself, I'm often struck by past emotions and memories out of the blue by a piece of music or song, heard randomly, MissSecret!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ressie View Post
    Yes, but what does it have to do with crossdressing?
    Because many of us have CD memories tied to music, Ressie!

I will NEVER think of Heart's "Crazy on U", the same way after last May. A new T friend and I were on Fremont St. in Vegas. The other T girls had vanished into a nearby dive bar. But, we were watching a terrific live rock band perform. I was dancing and amusing the Muggles. She was taking photos of the band and me!

The band quit playing at midnite. The crowd broke up. And the 2 of us were headed to the dive bar when the Fremont St. Experience began played overhead. They played Crazy on U, one of my favorites, and I was captured by the moment! I was whirling and shaking and singing like a crazy person in the middle of the street! Soon a crowd formed and began dancing and singing with me! (My friend took photos!) A nite I'll never forget!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

The Stabat Mater by Giovanni Battista Pergolesi destroys me everytime I hear it.

Aspiring Member
    So the following is what got me this morning. These 4 specific lines in the song and I was relating to how my wife must feel right now after I came out to her about my CD'ing.

Love the Way You Lie pt. 2
    Rihanna

On the first page of our story
    The future seemed so bright
    Then this thing turned out so evil
    I don’t know why I’m still surprised
    Even angels have their wicked schemes
    And you take that to new extremes
    But you’ll always be my hero
    Even though you’ve lost your mind

The words are not meant to be taken literally (the song is about violence between partners) I've just interpreted them into our situation.

The song itself is beautiful in its construction and rhianna has a wonderful voice and sings this on point. Very believable.

Anyways, that why I posted.

Look up the song. It won't be everyone's cup o tea but that's the beauty of choice! (P.s make sure you put part 2 when/if you search).

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2pveva

Miss S
    Last edited by Tamsin Secret; 11-23-2017 at 01:22 PM.

here is a song which I am sure we can all relate to in one way or another.

Doris Day

"Que Sera, Sera"

When I was just a little girl
    I asked my mother
    What will I be
    Will I be pretty
    Will I be rich
    Here's what she said to me

Que sera, sera
    Whatever will be, will be
    The future's not ours to see
    Que sera, sera

I am sure we would all love to be pretty but I am sure we don't exactly know what the future holds either.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Yes, music and songs get to me. Since I always have had difficulty in actually hearing and understanding most words in songs (modern ones) the words with the sound of the voice become another musical instrument. So, I get little to nothing from very important and great songs. However, those voices and instruments can easily transport me to a different emotional zone from happy to melancholy that many times is so wonderful. When I hear them in femme mode they sometimes have a greater positive affect on me.

I have always reacted to music, sometimes very strongly. But, I have never related dressing to it. I am a very visual person and often see images or video clips in my mind that fit the music. I used to do presentations to large groups and would often have a piece of music in mind that I would design my show around.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly Preston View Post
    here is a song which I am sure we can all relate to in one way or another.

Doris Day

"Que Sera, Sera"

When I was just a little girl
    I asked my mother
    What will I be
    Will I be pretty
    Will I be rich
    Here's what she said to me

Que sera, sera
    Whatever will be, will be
    The future's not ours to see
    Que sera, sera

I am sure we would all love to be pretty but I am sure we don't exactly know what the future holds either.
    When I sit down at a piano (doesn't happen very often), this is one of the simple tunes that naturally comes out. Another one is "I feel pretty". Both simple, easy to play tunes for someone that rarely tinkles the keys. A psychoanalyst might have a field day figuring what prompts these songs.

I cried at the end of a romantic movie the other day. I have become teary eyed from listening to sad Country songs. I cry because all of my relationships eventually came to an end and I've been single for years now. Sad songs and romantic comedies remind me that I have no one special in my life.

So, I go shopping! Also, when I play my guitar it's played with emotion.
    Last edited by Ressie; 11-23-2017 at 07:46 PM.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Shelly, "Whatever will be, will be", may have been true a 1000 years ago and certainly applies to some things today. But, NOT being pretty.

First off, they removed my ready to erupt appendix when I was 35. I'm 70+ now. If I had been born a 100 years ago, I would have died. Que sera sera?

Eventually, I began dressing in my 50's. But, I wanted to present as a pretty young woman. And I still do!

My point being: In these modern times, if u want something bad enuff? U may be able to have it! Que sera no sera!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Aspiring Member
    Music and crossdressing can go together. Ever since I acknowledged my own feminine feelings I've become more emotional. Songs that I've enjoyed for years with just pleasure now occasionally bring emotional tears. So, yes, I think the two go together, even if indirectly.

Ineke

There are quite a few songs that are 'Becky's' songs, for a range of reasons they are very connected or related to that side of me. So yes Miss S i get exactly what you mean, there is one song in particular that I find hard to listen to as it makes me really sad for some unknown reason.
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

Quote Originally Posted by MissSecret View Post
    Do any of you relate your CD life and experiences to the words and music you hear or choose to listen to?
    Oh, absolutely. #1: Billy Joel, The Stranger. Perhaps no other song so perfectly describes nearly all of our experiences as we progressed into crossdressing, and then, when our mate finally finds out, we learn who SHE really is. Love makes us blind to so many things about our mate's.
    Take a listen, and tell me what you think:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnlvPoDU5LY
    Well we all have a face
    That we hide away forever
    And we take them out and show ourselves
    When everyone has gone
    Some are satin some are steel
    Some are silk and some are leather
    They're the faces of the stranger
    But we love to try them on

Well, we all fall in love
    But we disregard the danger
    Though we share so many secrets
    There are some we never tell
    Why were you so surprised
    That you never saw the stranger
    Did you ever let your lover see
    The stranger in yourself?

Don't be afraid to try again
    Everyone goes south
    Every now and then
    You've done it, why can't someone else?
    You should know by now
    You've been there yourself

Once I used to believe
    I was such a great romancer
    Then I came home to a woman
    That I could not recognize
    When I pressed her for a reason
    She refused to even answer
    It was then I felt the stranger
    Kick me right between the eyes

Well, we all fall in love
    But we disregard the danger
    Though we share so many secrets
    There are some we never tell
    Why were you so surprised
    That you never saw the stranger
    Did you ever let your lover see
    The stranger in yourself?

Don't be afraid to try again
    Everyone goes south
    Every now and then
    You've done it why can't someone else?
    You should know by now
    You've been there yourself

You may never understand
    How the stranger is inspired
    But he isn't always evil
    And he isn't always wrong
    Though you drown in good intentions
    You will never quench the fire
    You'll give in to your desire
    When the stranger comes along.

Following that, and after my divorce learning that my chances of finding a woman who would love me including what I was, was virtuallly zero, I wound up with Gilbert O'Sullivan's 'Alone again, naturally'. And the realization that I was most likely going to be alone for the rest of my life brought me to tears. 50 years alone? Oh my god. It took years to climb out of that depression, and I still have occasional days where I just want to crawl into a hole and just disappear.
    But the one that really rips my hear out, is this one: Lost in love, by Taeyeon and Tiffany of the Korean group SNSD. You don't even have to know what they're saying to feel the heartache being poured out. google for the english lyrics if you think you really need them ( search for taeyeon tiffany lost in love english lyrics and the top link will be it, I don't think I'm allowed any extra links including the two song ones), but the girls' voices tell you all you need to know about what the words mean.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0ciaYedC8Q

Well, that was the bad. Here's the good. It was during the best years of my life.
    1982, first long term relationship, original song by Frankie Valli, but this one is by those same girl singers with the rest of their group: https://youtu.be/lyTzcZ696C4?t=3m10s

Pure joy.
    Last edited by sometimes_miss; 11-24-2017 at 05:58 AM.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.