Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Music and emotion

My name is from a song, so I guess that relates to words and music pretty directly!
    And there are songs that resonate with Alison and move me deeply sometimes.

I hear many tunes that remind me of special events in my life, both glad and sad.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

For some reason Secret World by Peter Gabriel has always made me tear up.

Banned Read only
    MissSecret,
    I know this comes up regular but every time it makes me think of tunes and songs that lift me up or bring back old memories.

" Leaving on a jet plane " , brings back a break up from an old GF , it was her favourite song at the time .

Then there are the tunes that just keep you on the dance floor , I have to admit dancing while dressed is far better than in drab, heels make it easier to move to the music , and feeling a dress move round your legs is something special .

One song I can't remember the title kept playing when we took our first family skiing holiday, " Until I die " is part of the title, it always makes me smile thinking about everyone falling over and just having a great time .

MissS the World would be lost without music , thanks again for jogging my memories !

To me there is two main types of music. There is Real Music and this modern stuff that pretends to be music.

Real music is made by artists and they include emotions. it's not just what sounds good but what feels good too. Real music tells a story.
    Much of the stuff passed off as music these days isn't music. It was not done with emotions in mind just sound. it's all done by somebody sitting at a computer with a focus on what "sounds good". Highly repetitive nonsense with little to no story behind it and little to no emotional content.

Two songs that always, always, put a tear in my eye are "The Hollies" with "He ain't heavy, he's my brother" and "Feargal Sharky" with "A Good Heart".

I lost my mum just back in April (to cancer. aged 60) so any song that conveys a sense of loss or a deep sense of love gets me crying. It was "Bonnie Tyler" with "Total Eclipse of The heart" just the other day that got my crying. That song never used to have that effect on me.

Music is how I know that there is a Creator. I can be moved deeply by almost any form of artistic expression, but nothing can touch me like music. Vivaldi, Patsy Cline or Stevie Ray Vaughn, it doesn't matter. I don't know that it's any different for me en femme or not. It's just always there. Maybe that's because of my TG nature - more given to emotion. I know one thing though. I wouldn't trade it.
    Again, thanks for a thought provoking question.

Hugs,

Kelly

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    I have to admit dancing while dressed is far better than in drab, heels make it easier to move to the music , and feeling a dress move round your legs is something special .
    Teresa,

I do hope I get the chance one day to find out

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Debbie,

Sorry to hear of your loss.

I've always found comfort in Billy Joel's 'Lullabye' when thinking of those who have left us for the next world.

https://youtu.be/dcnd55tLCv8

Banned Read only
    MissS,
    If you were closer to our social group you are more than welcome to come and give it a try. The Xmas party is fully booked but we're having an Anniversary dinner dance at the end of January and you can get special rates for rooms at the hotel .

Go on find a frock and some matching heels and give Carole a call at Lynx Ladies .

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    Neil Young's Harvest Moon gets to me as does John Lennon's Beautiful Boy.

It doesn't have anything do with dressing for me but when I listen to Steve Vai's "for the love of god" or anything that Chris Cornell sang I feel like crying. I'm crying now just writing this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Most recently, I was taken by surprise when the car radio played Kate & Anna McGarricle singing Billy Joel's "In The Middle of The Night" and I found my self crying. I tend to be stoic in the bad times, but can be overcome when things are beautiful. High school Bands, and choral groups, for some reason have me crying like a baby. There is something about the innocent and earnest effort that just seems so hopeful and sublime.

Platinum Member
    Hi Miss S. , Oh yes there are some songs that really get to me.>Orchid......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Aspiring Member
    Teresa,

Very kind thought. I wish I was closer

That would be quite an entrance for a first timers outing!

I certainly have songs that trigger the feminine in me, usually sadly, but I get this reaction to many songs that are tear-inducing. It's one of the clues to myself that shows me just how feminine I have always been throughout my life. You know, 'boys don't cry." Well, this one always has, or choked on it trying not to.

As applied to my CD life, not really, except for a few that were already mentioned. "The Crying Game" always reminded me of a dear TS friend back in California about twenty years ago - I wonder where she is now.

Music is powerful. Like scents, music can trigger memories of good times and bad, take you back to the days of "remember when." Each song is a mini time machine, bringing back those memories again. How many people can remember the song played on their prom night? (Kool and The Gang, "Celebration" - am I giving away my age??). I can pretty much follow my life by what music I was listening to at the time.

As for music making me cry? Oh hell yes, girl!
    (Fair warning: the rest of this post will be focusing on the songs that made my cry, and not necessarily CD'ing.)

There was a song a while back by Jeff Carson called "The Car." It was about a boy who had seen an old car (a Mustang), and had wanted it, not so much for having the car itself, but for the time spent together with his father. When the boy's father died, the boy was given a note that contained a set of keys for the old Mustang. The reason why this resonated with me so much is because, on the day the song was released, my father and I were out in the driveway under the hood of my brother's 1967 Mustang. When I contacted the radio station about the song and the memories it triggered, it turned out there were a lot of other people like me whose fondest memories were spent out under the old shade tree working on vehicles with their own fathers. And the day my father was buried, I slipped a Mustang key ring into the casket beside him and played that song for him again while I stood there and cried. "There will always be a part of us together in that car."

Another song that always, ALWAYS makes me cry is the one I played at my mother's funeral the very next year: Carrie Underwood's "I Will See You Again." It's a song about the loss of a loved one, and the lyrics (and her voice) are beautiful.

(Just thinking about both of these songs together right now has me in tears .... I miss my parents so much. )

There's this whole thing about 'boys don't cry', 'man up," and so on. I say f**k that. I'm crying because I'm hurting, inside or outside. It's not making me weak or any less of a man because I cry ... it's making me more complete, because I'm not afraid to show my emotions. I don't have to or need to hide that ... it's part of me ... one more part that makes up who and what I am, no approval needed.
    Last edited by Kayliedaskope; 11-27-2017 at 04:39 PM.