So last night, our bellies full of Thanksgiving, my wife and I brought up our Christmas stuff and started decorating, around 8 when we were done and sitting around out of the blue she said. "You could go put on your boobs and a nice dress and take me out to get a bottle of wine."

I just sit there kind of dumbfounded. We had been going back and forth for a bit about a Christmas present for me, I'd pretty much told her I didn't care what I got, but if she was looking for ideas I wanted a sweater dress. She didn't seem to really like the idea, but wasn't opposed to it either, and we did a bit of online shopping for it, but I struggled picking anything out.

The real problem with her proposal is that she's gone 2 weeks without a drink, and while I wouldn't call her an alcoholic she was drinking more then she needed to and decided to quit. A couple glasses of wine are harmless, I can drink and find it mildly enjoyable but have no interest in it. I know that a couple glasses last night would turn into a bottle Saturday night, and then something stronger the next night.

I said, "Are you serious," to which she replied, "Yes." I told her I couldn't do it, and she said she thought it might be fun, but I said I couldn't, and she needed to not drink. She agreed and it went no further.

My stomach was in knots and while I so badly wanted to take her up on her offer, I felt like I had made the right decision, but I can't help but wonder if I missed a valuable opportunity.