Thread: Drivers License Renewal Adventure

Drivers License Renewal Adventure

My drivers license was up for renewal. I've put it off for a month or so. It was down to 2 weeks to expiration and if I didn't do it Saturday, I was going to have to take a day off from work. I wanted to do it on a slow weekday because I was going in for my new picture dressed. I got there Saturday morning at 8am, after they had been closed 2 days. Long line waiting for them to open the doors. I had on a V neck top with 3/4 sleeves, a thin necklace, and Levi's 414 women's jeans. I had my hair down and was going in pretty. I sat there for about 15 minutes feeling just a little nervous. I got out and went in. The whole process took about 20 minutes from the time I walked through the door. The woman that helped me was very nice and everything went smooth. The only dissapointment was... their new pictures are close-ups, now. You can't see what I'm wearing at all. I have a nice looking picture and I don't look like a man. Woman? That's debatable, but I definitely don't look 100% man on my drivers license picture and I'm ok with that!
    ​Cindy

I just renewed my passport. When I went for the passport photo, I was informed that new laws require the photo be taken without glasses. They didn't tell me how long that rule has been in effect, but I got the impression it is a recent change. I suspect it has to do with facial recognition, and I wonder whether drivers license pictures will be next.

In most US states, you have to remove glasses for your driver’s license photo. It has been that way for decades in both Oregon and Texas, for certain.

Platinum Member
    Hi Cindy , When I renewed my license last Dec. I put my 1" hoop earrings in
    and they show up nicely in my picture.>Orchid......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Slip Into Something Femme Piora's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceera View Post
    In most US states, you have to remove glasses for your driver’s license photo. It has been that way for decades in both Oregon and Texas, for certain.
    It's the same in Canada. But my question is: if you wear glasses 99% of the time, why do they think that a picture without them is somehow better? I look way different without my glasses, to the point that if someone approaches me that I know when I'm not wearing them, they are hardly able to recognize me. So, how this helps identify me in any way, is beyond me. And if it's because of facial recognition software, then to me, glasses would somewhat mask key features in a person's face.

Anyway, Cindy, it was brave of you to do something public that way. Kudos!
    "Taking the time to be in touch with my feminine side"

Massachusetts also requires you to remove your glasses for a driver's license photo. I remember when they didn't, but they do now. I wouldn't worry too much about it -- a driver's license is not supposed to be a portrait.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

I also wonder why the authorities want you to remove glasses for these photos. And just to make it even harder to understand, my licence has codes attached which means that I have to wear glasses, or some sight correction when driving!!

I had my hair in a pony tail and hoop earrings on. Yep there on the photo.
    Part Time Girl

Yeah! Last time I had my DL picture taken they made me take off my glasses and open my eyes real wide. That, and my bald head, made me look like one of those goldfish with bulging eyes. When I show someone my DL, I usually say, "This is what I look like without a wig. That's why I wear a wig."

I have to renew mine by the end of December and in NJ you need 3 forms of proof as to who you are no matter how long you've lived in NJ and been driving here. Also no make-up in photos, I've seen women have to remove theirs. I'm going to try my hair down and a touch of mascara and maybe some powder to even out my skin tone and eyebrow pencil to shape them. I might just rock the boat by going en-femme since the photo is from neck down. All my paper's will of course have male as my sex. Our licenses are for 4 yrs., boy has my photo changed.Can't wait to use it when having background checks and security checks when working some jobs although I do look a tad different when in guy mode. Most of my use of license for I.D. I'm in andro or femme so it should make a better confirmation of who I am facially that is.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy M View Post
    I had my hair down and was going in pretty. I sat there for about 15 minutes feeling just a little nervous. I got out and went in. The whole process took about 20 minutes from the time I walked through the door. The woman that helped me was very nice and everything went smooth. I have a nice looking picture and I don't look like a man. Woman? That's debatable, but I definitely don't look 100% man on my drivers license picture and I'm ok with that!
    Perfect example of "It isn't a big deal unless you make it one"..It is just another renewal to them ! You will now hand your DL over with a smile ! And if you aren't looking as your picture,do as I do..Tell them,"Yes.that's me on a better day !" lol

the reason for taking off glasses and not smiling is for facial recognition at least that is what I was told
    If you can't laugh and have fun you might as well go home.

Good for you, Cindy, but bear in mind that it was likely thanks to courageous trailblazers like this teen who forced the same issue in her particular case that helped pave the way here...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2276438

Quote Originally Posted by Ceera View Post
    It's like that in California, too. When I had my picture taken without my glasses, the attendant handed over my license, ad I was like, "Who is that??" At least Arizona didn't make me take off my glasses.

As I'm not driving anymore due to health,dont know what I will do yet. Prob wont go en femme to get the ID card if that's what I'm going to get. Will prob have Nice studs in my lobes ! Whether glasses are on or off wont matter. Toni G..

Quote Originally Posted by LeannS View Post
    the reason for taking off glasses and not smiling is for facial recognition at least that is what I was told
    I heard the same thing... I saw one of those forensic files where a person died a horrible death, the authorities recovered dna. They had a pretty good idea who the killer was but they couldn't get his dna legally and he wasnt' in the system So they took the dna left on the dead girl and sent it off to one of those geneology dna commericials adn came back with a match, the dna was either the man's son or nephew. He had no children and only one nephew. Based on this info they got his dna and he went to jail. or something like that.

Silver Member
    Years ago I wore a red blouse with a bra that one could barely see, but I knew the camera would picket up. Unfortunately it was the first year they did the closeup pictures. All I got was a terrible face shot.

IMHO, the no glasses photo is because you can always be viewed without your glasses on, but you may not have them available and you don't want someone to deny your identity because w/o your glasses you don't look like your photo. E.g., you're assaulted and your glasses are knocked off and disappear in the scuffle. It was a big scuffle involving several women who look similar. Not the time for mistaken identiy.

AND, with advances in facial recognition software, the best accuracy is achieved when the computer has several unmovable reference points on the face and on the matching comparative photo image.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Be all the woman that you can be!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    . . . and now, On With The Show!

Reality Check
    I wasn't asked to remove my glasses the last time I renewed my driver's license. I wouldn't have even thought about it.

As someone pointed out, if you normally wear glasses, an ID photo without them isn't really good for ID. When I am asked for an ID at the doctor's office or to use a credit card, I'll be a bit pissed if I am then asked to remove my glasses. As for taking closeup photos, that makes good sense. If someone is trying to figure out if you're the person in the photo, shoulders aren't going to help.
    Krisi

My DL was stolen yesterday. (as was my wallet) I went in to find out what I need to get a replacement, and they were ready to do me a new one today. yes I walked in fully dressed, makeup and all/

I just went and got my DL renewed this morning. It took 20-25 mins at the AAA. And I was not required to remove my eyeglasses here in CT. I wore suttle eye liner nude eye shadow and mascara. Basically all fem clothes. I.E. Levi's sz11. Skinny jeans with a wo mens sweat shirt. And the usual panties. No one batted an eye at me.

Bethany McCarty
    I got my drivers license wearing women's clothes you can barely tell as they do a closeup on your face and didn't have any issues