P1070634.jpg

It was my 67th birthday today, and I took another giant leap for MIADs and mirls. I went to my mom's retirement home and smiled and waved and everyone, for the most part, smiled back. No hassles, some friendly and admiring comments, a round of happy birthday, a comment that I was brave, and life went on.

I had already come out to Mom, and after an initial concern about what people would think, [which she soon observed was- not much of interest,] she was fine with it. I have found that after the initial look, and double take, people lose interest- since I am acting perfectly normally for a mirl, anyway. Not particularly swishy, nothing exaggerated, just being a nice person focused on whatever we are talking about and comfortable in my clothes.

I had worried that the memory unit where she lives might be uncertain territory for a new look, but as it happens, people with failing memory tend to look at your face and what you are saying is what they are thinking about.

We went to the Stanford campus and walked all around, visited the museum, and went downtown to eat. Took a walk in the neighborhood.

I let my hips move and enjoyed stepping forward onto the heels. I loved feeling my skirt flowing around my hips, the breeze lightly on my thighs, my poise walking. I loved the fact that I felt so authentic that it really didn't matter what others were thinking of me.

All I could think about was I wished I hadn't waited so long.