Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thrift store entertainment...

Thrift store entertainment...

I hit one of the thrift stores I seldom frequent on the way home to paw through the shoes. (and score a gray sweater dress) (what?) Lady gave me kind of a whithering look, (I am in my grotty work clothes) so I dropped into Rowan's voice and gushed about her pretty teal and black dye job...

She lit up like a christmas tree....I love that sort of connection, especially when the context is sort of bizarre.

Another lady looking at a sweater dress...identical to the one I bought, was debating about it...I asked if the loved it....glanced at the price tag and asked if she loved it four dollars...."Yes!"

Then git it! She talked to me without any weird overtones after that...

Apparently, shopping is a universal language.

I love thrift stores. Have bought a lot there and they helped me find stuff. Really nice people there.
    Part Time Girl

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    I frequently visit Goodwill, have found some nice dresses but I would never buy used shoes, that's just icky.

It's just connecting with people. I do it with them and they do it with me all the time. Your in the same store and are looking at the same things, yes you have something in common.

I go in thrift stores in either mode, and I'll talk to anyone. To me it's not a big deal, that is unless I find that something I can't live without.

Most of my clothes come from Goodwill, but it's always in drab because I haven't gotten up the nerve to go out as Michelle. In my case, there's never been any connection, just people in their own world shopping for things they need. I'm glad I'm at the point where I can go in and shop for female clothes without feeling guilty or embarrassed. Like many, I've found most people are too involved in what they're doing to wonder why there's a guy looking at dresses and blouses. Nobody's given me a second look, and if they have, I've never seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by Majella St Gerard View Post
    I frequently visit Goodwill, have found some nice dresses but I would never buy used shoes, that's just icky.
    oh...they get sterilized nine ways to sunday. I worked in a roller rink once...ew.

R. is planning a trip for both of us to a designer shoe outlet....

I stopped in a wig store today...that was overwhelming. The lady there squinted at my earrings and smiled...What style you want? Gonna spend some serious time in there with my fashion guru. I only saw about....oh....fifty that I wanted...

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Michelle View Post
    Most of my clothes come from Goodwill, but it's always in drab because I haven't gotten up the nerve to go out as Michelle. In my case, there's never been any connection, just people in their own world shopping for things they need. I'm glad I'm at the point where I can go in and shop for female clothes without feeling guilty or embarrassed. Like many, I've found most people are too involved in what they're doing to wonder why there's a guy looking at dresses and blouses. Nobody's given me a second look, and if they have, I've never seen it.
    An I suggest something? Smile at the ladies and talk to them....some will blow you off...but I am finding more that will interact positively. This can only boost your confidence. So...you might run into some less than tolerant types....they can pee up a rope and climb it dry for all of me....

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Goodwill in my neighborhood is awesome.
    Very big upscale houses so the quality of stuff is very nice at my Goodwill.

Banned Read only
    Majella,
    It's crazy to ignore them , I bought a lovely pair of £100.00 + Italian leather boots for £12.50 , I now prefer buying them in charity shops because they've been worn in , if they fit in the shop they will stay the same size, I've had more problems with new ones stretching . Besides they do get checked over and treated before going on sale . The only items I find icky is male stuff !

Shawn,
    I've had some funny double takes in charity shops, one I use doesn't have changing facilities , I asked for a chair at the back of the shop to try on some heels . The problem was I was next to the bookshelves and CD racks , a guy was picking some CDs when he glanced over not realising what I was doing and did a double take , then I stood up and said these are great , very comfortable he placed the CDs back in the rack and did a quick exit , maybe he was upset that he missed out on the heels !!
    Last edited by Teresa; 11-27-2017 at 08:12 PM.

Thrift stores,Goodwill, etc can be Very good places to shop. Just have to be careful to look for stains or damage. Have a GW store across the street. Found Nice Skirts, Tops, Dresses. Wearable Shoes. Since I know what to look for, never use dressing stalls! Have not had issues shopping there. As for "icky" shoes-have scored several barely-used pairs, including Aerosoles, Lifestrides,etc.. My Fav Via Spiga Pumps came from GW. Couple of scuff marks-otherwise no wear on them ! Platforms that were $100 for couple bucks. They are comfy too ! Also like shopping for dresses at a nearby Ross store. Happy shopping! Have a Bra and Shoes ordered today for "cyberday" purchases. Blessings.. Toni G..

Platinum Member
    Thrift stores are like a treasure hunt, You just never know what you will find.>Orchid......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

My wife knows I enjoy wearing women's clothing. When I was growing up, suits and ties were worn to dinner on special occasions. As we aged, the dressing became more relaxed. We were at a family event. I was wearing a Eddie Bauer woman's oversize shirt over a white sleeveless shell and a pair of elastic waist chic jeans...which I have been wearing almost continuous since I fell and broke my wrist, I can't work the buttons on levis anymore. I passed my wife's inspection, meaning that I was dressed androgynous enough not to set off her gaydar....

Oh, of course, vanity fair ravissant briefs also. Anyhow, sister walks up, looks at me, and said to me, "You dress like you shop at Goodwill." Without a beat, my wife said, "He does." She knows full well that when we shop thrift stores she shops for me too. Pretty nice.

Thrift stores are a good source of interesting clothes and if you hate them later you can always re-donate them. My denim mini skirt and jacket are thrift store finds.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    My wardrobe is 90% from Thrift stores. In my area there are three or four with multiple locations and several others with one site each. I've never had a problem shopping in either mode. When my wife and I used to travel, we would hit the thrift stores on a regular basis. I would find natural history books and area guides that were only distributed in that area and my wife would find interesting things to use as gifts for grandkids when we got home. Of course we packed light going and packed heavy coming home, but it was always a fun experience.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Silver Member
    I was in a GoodWill looking through the women's stuff. A woman made a wise crack about something I picked up with her saying "Thats a woman's top" loudly. She had been telling her son about how he should live. Nothing to do with the clothes. She was shopping for her self. With out missing a beat I said, I was going to suggest it for him. She got real mad. But, I've lived with people being mad at me. I started laughing as my wife came up. First thing she said was, What did you do?

Quote Originally Posted by lingerieLiz View Post
    I was in a GoodWill looking through the women's stuff. A woman made a wise crack about something I picked up with her saying "Thats a woman's top" loudly. She had been telling her son about how he should live. Nothing to do with the clothes. She was shopping for her self. With out missing a beat I said, I was going to suggest it for him. She got real mad. But, I've lived with people being mad at me. I started laughing as my wife came up. First thing she said was, What did you do?
    Good job....That crap ought to always be met with derision.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUE ORCHID View Post
    Thrift stores are like a treasure hunt, You just never know what you will find.>Orchid......
    So, by extension, Blue Orchid, are thrift stores also like a box of chocs? .

Let me guess . . line 2 of your sig? .

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    'Charity shops' on this side of the pond, love them!! A good tip given to me was to go to shops in 'posh' areas where you can find some real quality items.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

I was just thinking about thrift stores and charity shops --and that is some very clever shopping described by Diane--, but how about if you buy a box of chocs from Blue Orchid's thrift store? . .

You'll never know what you'll never know you'll find, and you'll never know that you've found it.

That would be a lot of fun, but unfortunately, most choc boxes I've seen either ship with a manifest or it's printed on the box. So usually, you'll know exactly what you'll find . . unless you buy it from the thrift store. In that case, you'll never know what you know you'll find .

Now, if you buy the thrift store while in the thrift store which sells a box of chocs, and then you buy the box of chocs :

You never know what you'll never know what you'll never

Value Village is my "go to" source for Tylia's clothes......myself and my wife go there every time we visit a town with a VV store

I love thrift stores. Good finds, good prices.

Count me in. Big thrift store fan here.
    About the only things I buy new are shoes (and under garments, of course)

I am blessed to have 4 good thrift stores within 3 miles of my place; and two of them are OUTSTANDING. I have never failed to find something interesting or even WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR. My favorite store (the Disabled Veterans) organizes their clothes very well; by items first (women's slacks, skirts, dresses, long sleeve tops, short sleeve tops, etc), and then organized those racks by general color. So if I know I need a black skirt or looking for a green top I can go directly to that section.
    I normally go in drab; often in my bike shorts or leggings since the store in along one of my favorite bike routes. The only thing I dislike about it, is that there are no dressing rooms. I must buy everything in the blind. I've only had to return a handful of garments due to size mistakes, and the loss is but a few $$$. I usually donate my mistakes back.

But my motto is: The Thrift Store is your friend. I've bought name brand designer blouses that would have cost near $100 new in the store for less than $10.
    There resides within me a Woman, and she is powerful.
    She has been my Grace and Bearing on the stormiest seas.
    I could no more deny Her than I would my own soul.

I have shopped at good will, but prefer Savers. Saw a show about Savers on the TV and found that they were mostly in Canada. But I remember seeing one in So Cal, went and was hooked. Friendly staff and great selection. I guess it depends on the area and how the staff see things, but in my case it was a great experience.

I live in quite an expensive area, and it does give you a better class of charity shop!
    :-)

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Yep, Aunti. It's always an adventure thrift shopping in Las Vegas. I've found corsets, expensive bras and lingerie and even parts of cocktail/showgirl outfits.
    Several times I've had wonderful conversations with nice women as we shopped and compared bras.
    I'm so due for another adventure.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Thrift stores are great.