Thread: Seeing me

Seeing me

Earlier today, I was looking at some of my most recent selfies.

Now, just me taking selfies is a huge important step.

That aside, I noticed something that brought tears to my eyes.

I saw ME so clearly for the first time it made me so happy it brought some tears to my eyes. Not the me that I had seen in the mirror for most of my life. But the me I had been hiding from most of my life.

I’m amazed at how much of a boost to my self esteem that turned out to be.

Deep down it shows me something wonderful. It shows me that I am definitely on the right track to taking proper care of myself.

This reaffirming moment does something else for me. It helps me to “Own it” or more precisely to relax into all this.
    The source of fear is in the future
    And a person freed of the future
    Has nothing to fear

"That's life. It's not always rainbows and farts. Sometimes the farts have a little something extra." -Emma

Rock meet Hard Place.

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Emma I know what you mean I’m hard on myself at times when I look and then I realize but it’s ok I know the real me is in
    that picture.
    Once you get to that point you begin to have so much more confidence
    Hugs Rachael

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    I'm so glad you can see the real you so clearly!

After all this time, I still hate selfies so it's wonderful that you can take them and recognise who is really there
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

I'm so happy for you! That "shock of recognition" is a good guide that you're moving in the right direction.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

I think most of us are hard on ourselves? Never totally happy with our reflection, at least to start with anyway.

It sure is nice when you finally see yourself. So nice.

Nice to hear you haev managed to do that.

something very similar happened to me..

i can attest to you that the feeling you have is real. It matters. You matter.

It was a big deal to me... I was really moved by seeing a picture of me and I had this internal registration of "female" in my mind...without really thinking about it... i remember the picture and the moment still today
    I am real

The really nice thing about that particular Selfie.

The day I took it, I had relaxed into myself. I had no worries about male or female perceptions of me. I didn't worry about no one else and what they might think. It didn't matter what anyone else thought, and I was happy that day. Everything seemed to just fell nicely into it's proper place.
    Has nothing to fear

"That's life. It's not always rainbows and farts. Sometimes the farts have a little something extra." -Emma

Rock meet Hard Place.

Aspiring Member
    Emma,

This is an astute observation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emma Beth View Post
    ...But the me I had been hiding from most of my life.
    Your sharing caused me to re-look at my last selfie, and I think I can so relate to your experience and the increased self-esteem.

Thank you everyone.

I'm truly amazed at how I'm beginning to see myself every day. I can finally look into the mirror and actually see a human being and not the monster I felt like.

Now I just need to get past the self image and body issues most Women face and take even better care of myself.

Michele, it's so nice to finally get to this point and no longer be averse to looking at myself and feel like I need to avoid all cameras and only look into the mirror when I can't avoid it.

Now I just have to be careful to avoid becoming Narcissistic and keep my vanity in check.
    Has nothing to fear

Rock meet Hard Place.