Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: makeup guys and stuff

Aspiring Member sarah_hillcrest's Avatar

makeup guys and stuff

In the last few years my wife has really gone all glam, she likes to watch a lot of videos on makeup reviews. We're talking the other night and somehow it comes up and she gets to talking about the makeup guys, here's the dialogue.

"All these companies now, they all have makeup guys, it's freaking me out,"

"Yeah that's kind of weird," I say.

"They just get on my nerves so bad, because you know they aren't really trying to look like girls, they're just dudes who seem to be really into makeup," she says.

"Yeah, they act and talk super feminine and yet they aren't hiding the fact they are guys," I say.

"Yeah well I got to thinking, don't take this the wrong way, but what's different about you, really?" she says.

"Well, I, um.. I think they are kind of like drag queens where its all presentation and over the top and..." I try to explain.

"They're super gay," she butts in.

"Well... I mean, I'm not." I say.

"Yeah, you don't act like those guys, do you? I mean you're so normal." she asks.

After a second I adopt my best falsetto and say, "I just want to be a pretty girl," then I bat my eyelashes.

She punches my arm, "I hope you're not planning on moving to California," she says.

"I like it here,"

Anyway... So you guys noticed the makeup guys. What's your take on them?

Sarah,
    Sometimes I think the forum should have a LIKE button similar to FB for stories like yours.
    LOL. Thanks for sharing.
    There resides within me a Woman, and she is powerful.
    She has been my Grace and Bearing on the stormiest seas.
    I could no more deny Her than I would my own soul.

My make up takes 2 minutes, but if someone went over the top, or if they are girly gays, well good on them I say.
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

I did theatrical makeup for a while. Makeup is as techy and geeky as any other area of endeavor. Lots of skills to learn, lots of fiddly little bits of information to study. I can totally see why guys would be attracted to it as a profession. So I question the assumption that there's some reason guys shouldn't do that. What would happen if you suggested women were incapable of being mechanics?
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Banned Read only
    Pat,
    Shame on you , there are some very good female mechanics now .

Sarah,
    My daughter didn't do much makeup at one time until we had a discussion about it , she didn't like going over the top with it which I understood. So I said think of makeup as an enhancer , used in the right way it can make the most of you good features and hopefully tone down the ones you don't like. She then got more into it, I personally think the eyes are the most important feature ,knowing how to apply the right colour and quantity in the right places without messing it up !!

I preferred a female beautician working on me when I went for a colour check , OK I find there is something sexy about a woman applying makeup on me .

My take on this is while it's fine for men to be makeup experts (and I'll add hairdressers), there seems to be an expectation that they're gay and/or effeminate, and so they comply and give them what they expect.
    There were several gay men where I worked, but you'd never know it .... until .... off-duty in a social setting when their talk and mannerisms turned overtly effeminate. I guess I don't really know which mode is an act.
    I watch hunting shows and there are women who are very skilled and accomplished . And, like women mechanics, they can be good at their craft without losing their femininity. Must men lose (or pretend to lose) their masculinity while working in the glamour biz?

Lol...what a great conversation.
    I concur with the like button....there is an option for such...one of my kilt forums uses the same software and has an "aye" button...

I like the girly guys and drag queens, and all the over the top glitz and glam that goes with it....even though I have no desire to be such. I prefer to try for ladylike elegance.
    The list of youtubes I put on my other thread features several of these folks....there is much to be learned rom that art, and ultimately, I belive that the popularity of drag and the makeup guys are only going to make gender issues more mainstream and hopefully lead to more tolerance and understanding for all of us.

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    That's just too funny, Sarah. California?
    That's like being....
    lost in space.JPG
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    Pat,
    Shame on you , there are some very good female mechanics now .
    That is, of course, the point.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Max Factor was a man. “Make up guys” have been around a LONG time.

Some women in their 40's , I know a few...never do makeup except lipstick .

I learned to makeup my SO cause she was incapacitated due to illness.

Yes makeup guys exist.

Aspiring Member sarah_hillcrest's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Micki_Finn View Post
    Max Factor was a man. “Make up guys” have been around a LONG time.
    yeah no doubt, effeminate men have existed since before youtube, but we had no of knowing that here in Lake Wobegone.

Moving to California has become a saying my wife has used a couple times since I've opened up about crossdressing.

I have just gotten lucky, made friends with a guy that does stage makeup around the country for runway shows and he specializes in drag queens...he suppose to help me next week so excited!

I think it's awesome that some of the major cosmetics companies are using male "cover boys", but I don't care for the ones they selected. I love guys in makeup, just not these guys. The whole pseudo-fem voice inflection and exaggerated pseudo-fem mannerisms just aren't my thing. I think some of the guys who work at Ulta or at the mall makeup counters would be better. There are a lot of boys doing makeup tutorials on YouTube. Cool that these young guys can do that now, but for the most part those who have YouTube channels tend to be very self-absorbed. Probably has more to do with the personality type who'd have a YouTube channel than it does with wearing makeup. I am not nearly liberated enough that I'd allow my child, male or female, to have such a channel, or any channel for that matter. Guess I'm showing my age. I'd most certainly let my son wear makeup. I'd just as certainly not let him have a YouTube channel!

I'm all for guys wearing makeup, the more the merrier
    OMG!! Owning my femininity .... and I LOVE it!

Like male hairdressers with a falsetto voice, they are making a fortune off women.

And it's legal too. :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I agree 100% I think we need a like button

I sure agree with Connie, we should have a LIKE button, it would be nice rather than post more comments.

Maybe sexist, but I prefer makeup for the female form, if it's men, I don't want it.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Reality Check
    Where are you seeing these "makeup guys"? I haven't seen any. Of course I haven't been looking for them either.
    Krisi

Search Youtube or Google for James Charles, Manny Gutierrez or Joseph Harwood

John Maclean
    OMG!! Owning my femininity .... and I LOVE it!

I personally wear makeup when CD’ing to look more feminine. I would venture to say that’s why most of us on here do. In guy mode, I have no desire to wear makeup. That being said, I think it’s a bit annoying to see a guy, in guy mode, applying makeup. My wife likes to watch Project Runway (I’m not really a fan). On one of the episodes, one of the male designer contestants was applying makeup. This dude had stubble, so I didn’t really see the point. His look was complete with eyeshadow, mascara and colored eyebrows. He was in full guy mode, not trying to look female, so I found it annoying and pointless. Another show I watch with my wife (that I actually like) is Hell’s Kitchen. One of the male contestants on that show was seen applying foundation and color his eyebrows. This dude has a full, nicely groomed beard. But again, I don’t see the point. I wear makeup to look feminine when dressed the part. Not in my everyday, gut mode.

I don’t see anything wrong with a male being in the makeup business, nor do I see anything wrong with a female being a mechanic. It’s my opinion that sometimes the untraditional gender can do a better job at the particular job.

I certainly don't wear it everyday, but I've worn my share in guy mode. I don't go for beards or stubble, but otherwise I think guys in makeup are hot! There are those guys who go to a lot of trouble to wear makeup so that you can't tell they're wearing it. I don't get the point with that. I have a friend who was friends with a local TV news anchor and she said he wore more makeup than she did.
    Last edited by Pat; 11-30-2017 at 06:46 PM. Reason: No need to quote post immediately before you. No need to quote ENTIRE post ever.

@Stephanie43: Does there need to be a point? Maybe those guys just wanted to look good without having a point.

If we go down the route of needing to know the point of what others do, then they could return fire and ask us the point of men putting in all this effort and worrying about all this stuff that we worry about trying to look like women when we are not women. And that is a question whose answer eludes all of us.

@Guy-with-beard-and-prettyfied-eyes: As you were, please, sir. We withdraw our question .

- Lydianne.