Thread: Sneezing/coughing en femme

Sneezing/coughing en femme

I'm enjoying a few Michelle hours to myself, and I'm getting over some kind of chest cold. That made me wonder (and I know I'm probably making waaaaaaaay to much of this topic, and I'm not even leaving the house yet), but do you worry a sneeze or a cough might give you away? I don't have a quiet cough - it usually sounds like I'm about to let go of a lung. I don't have a "dainty" sneeze - I could knock people down if I didn't cover my face. One GG at my office doesn't even have what I call a full sneeze. All you hear is a very swift, slightly high-pitched "aaahh", then a "choo" That is so quiet you'd think it was coming from Tinkerbell. The last time I tried to hold a sneeze in, I had to wait a few minutes for my eyeballs and eardrums to reset (I haven't done it again). While we can work our voices, an unexpected sneeze could draw attention that you don't want. For the sake of the question, let's take away the "I don't care what others do think" factor. There are many here who aren't worried about what others think or say, but for me (whenever I do get the guts to go out), the last thing I would want is to draw unnecessary attention to myself.
    By the way, I ramble. I got it from my Mom. My dad can't stand it when it takes me 30 seconds to answer a yes or no question.

Thanks

Shawn Michelle

Aspiring Member
    Yes, I had given it some thought, although I have never been out and about. Also what about laughter. I tend to have a big raucous laugh - a give away. If push came to shove I would have to be very careful and be discrete and genteel. No big handkerchief either, but a small twee one, or tissues.
    Vikky
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adventure before dementia

Banned Read only
    I work with a woman who coughs like an old man that has been smoking a pack a day for 40+ years.

So I don't really worry about it.

I used to work with a woman whose sneeze you can her from across the building. Everyone lightheartedly gave her a hard time about it.

I don’t remember ever having to sneeze while en femme... that or I just don’t worry about, but I do wish I can do the feminine non-sneeze sneeze.

I transitioned in 2009...

sneezing and coughing still sucks..

like a big ole dog bark...no matter how i try
    I am real

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Yes, now that I’m out and close to fulltime I do think about it and yes it’s hard to hide it. However yes some women do have
    loud sneezes so you just have to deal with it I guess
    Rachael

For the sneeze part I pinch the outer edge of my nose about the half way point and that stops the sneeze--for ME. Try it, it may work for you. As for the cough, you're on your own.
    Jon

Once I learned to modulate my voice to the feminine register to a degree where I didn't really need to think about it to talk in my female voice, my sneezes and coughs stayed in that register as well. It might not be a dainty 'mouse sneeze', like some girls, but the pitch matches my feminine speaking voice.

Allowing for the usual overlap between genders, the difference in cough/sneeze sounds from men and women is due to physiological things you can't do anything about if you've made it past puberty. There are some times when you have to accept that you are what you are. If you blow into a large bottle, the note sounds deeper than a small bottle. And if you have large lungs, larynx and sinuses you're going to give a bass cough/sneeze.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Banned Read only
    Shawn,
    Some of the problem is we normally greater lung capacity and stronger muscles that initiate the couch or sneeze plus a lower pitch in our voices so we do tend to make more noise when when coughing and sneezing.

I have a persistent cough and try and tame it down but the more it irritates the louder it gets, I do try and sneeze quieter , I helps to keep your mouth closed if possible but then run the risk of biting your tongue . I'm also trying to blow my nose more discretely and not sound like a trumpet at full volume !

I do go out and realise it can be a problem.

To take Vicky's point about laughing I do get the giggles and sometimes can't stop I've no idea what it sounds like but try and keep femme sounding if a I can .
    Last edited by Teresa; 11-30-2017 at 07:14 PM.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    OMG now we are worried about sneezing in girl mode?
    Come on really??

Unless you are a full time out girl I just wouldn't go out dressed if I had a cold and the problem is solved.

This sneezing and coughing must be one of those advanced crossdressing topics. At this point I am happy if I talk in a quieter voice. My everyday voice is quite loud and not very ladylike.

Sami
    My new blog: The Crossdresser Report
    https://crossdresserreport.com/

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Some people make up more things to worry about.
    Its not that hard to walk out of the room or go to the bathroom or something.

Hey Tracii G, for some folks, this topic is nothing to sneeze at! Sorry, I absolutely could not resist.

For myself, I have always had a 'mouse like' sneeze. Basically since I have repressed them from an early age. As for coughing... yeah, I sound like a like Doc Holiday in 'Tombstone'. Last time I tried to suppress a cough, it just exacerbated the situation until my companions were ready to dial 911.
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!

My wife sneezes so loud its scary.. much louder than me, just saying!
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

Shawn nice post I would add laughing to the list sometime my wife and I ( meaning Connie) go to the movies. I like fun and romantic movies I have to make sure I tone down my laughter.

Reality Check
    Yes, a cough or sneeze or clearing your throat is going to give you away. All the padding and plucking in the world won't change you into a woman.
    Krisi

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    My wife sounds like a mouse when she sneezes, me you can hear several streets away. Fortunately, so far, I have had no instances when out.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

Reality Check
    I had a male friend (RIP) who sneezed like a woman. He had a normal low male voice though.
    Krisi

Definitely no mouse-sneezes or polite little coughs here. My SO can hear my sneezing from the other end of the house, and my coughing sounds more like me hacking up a lung.
    "You are who you are, that's all right with me,
    But I am who I am, that's all I can be."
    -Trace Atkins, "Rough and Ready"
    ===========================================
    Just call me Kaylie

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    U don't need to coff or sneeze. For 90% of us dressers, we're made as soon as we open our mouths!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!