Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is CD an addiction that can be subdue or not ?

Banned Read only
    "Can it be subdued?" Subdued, yes. Eliminated, never!

I prefer the word "suppressed" rather than "subdued." Not that there's much difference in meaning, but "subdue" carries the possibility (and the hope!) that the urge will remain "subdued" in the long term, while "suppress" reminds us that there is pressure involved: that some of the time at least, we will have to continue indefinitely exerting pressure to "keep a lid" on the urge--because the urge never stops exerting pressure of its own for us to give in to it!

How is CD like an "addiction"? I can't claim to be any kind of expert on addiction, but Maria's mention of smoking points to a likely difference. My wife and I both smoked on and off for much of our lives, but eventually gave it up for good. However, even after quitting for good, our "relationships" with the habit still differed. For myself, once I'd taken a few weeks to get over the physiological addiction to nicotine, the urge to smoke went away and in the thirteen years since then I've never had any real desire to smoke. My wife on the other hand was more like Maria. She did succeed in quitting, but still retained an "affection" for cigarettes, and even years later was saying that she'd still like to be able to smoke.

We did both have the "usual problem" with weight gain after quitting, and that's because for many people like ourselves who kick a habit there still remains an underlying urge of some kind. With smoking it's presumably for "oral pleasure" or stimulation, and when that's no longer being satisfied by smoking, we turn to food instead!

Regardless of these differences, the point I want to make is that many addictions, once we have overcome them, do stay more or less permanently "subdued." Or at worst, the urge to resume indulging the addiction does not grow with time. I do understand for instance that many alcoholics after getting sober can never afford to drink again for fear of a relapse, but I don't suppose staying sober gets any harder with time, unless they're subjected to exceptional stress. I don't know how this works for gambling addiction and the like, but I gather most ex-heroin addicts don't have to stay on methadone for life. So even that deadly habit can be gradually "subdued." As I said, I'm no expert on addictions, but it seems to me that having overcome an addiction of any other kind, continuing to resist it gets easier with time, or anyway no worse.

Crossdressing is not like that. While the need to crossdress may wax and wane for many natural reasons, the likelihood is that the longer it's suppressed, the more the urge builds up until either it's satisfied or--for some people anyway--they start to suffer growing stress and other psychological consequences. For some this can be serious. It depends of course on the motives for crossdressing, which are not always the same. But as others have said, that's because the urges "come from inside," not from some acquired dependency on a particular substance or habit.

Speaking for myself, in my teens I went through the same cycle of "purging" and eventually "giving in" and resuming crossdressing, at least twice and possibly more: an experience so well known to all or most of us here. I've also noticed how, if I've been obliged to suppress crossdressing at one or two periods of my life, the urge "breaks out" with a vengeance once the "lid is off" again.

Probably the worst example of that was in my mid-to-late twenties when for the first time I was living full time with a girlfriend. Prior to that I'd lived either on my own or with my parents. Although I had limited opportunities to crossdress (in secret, naturally) while living with my parents, I knew there would always be those opportunities for the foreseeable future. If my attempts to purge and give up crossdressing caused stress in the short term, when the pressure to resume grew greater it was easy enough to give in to it! But once I was living with a girlfriend, I was telling myself "This is it! It's now or never! Now that we're having regular sex I ought to be able to kick this crossdressing habit permanently!" Of course, as we all know, this never works! But the more determined I was to "kick" the habit, and the longer I tried, the more the pressure grew, until in the absence of a wardrobe of my own (which I'd purged for what I'd fondly believed to be the "last" time before we moved in together), I found myself sneaking every opportunity, at considerable risk, to slip into my girlfriend's skirts, blouses and dresses--and needless to say, her bras and panties!--when she wasn't around.

That wasn't the reason we split, because I found in time that we had significant incompatibilities. Not the kind to cause big fights, but the kind that would have caused problems further down the Great Highway of Life. But after we split, my feminine self (which I'm sure she would never have accepted) did breathe a huge sigh of relief, and I did "break out" into a mini-orgy of gratification for Marianne's needs, which had been sorely and unwisely neglected in the meantime.

I learned a lot about myself from that experience, painful as it was at times, and I never tried to suppress my feminine self again; only to keep her discreetly in the background when circumstances called for it. It is not an "addiction." It is part of who we are!

Reality Check
    Can a person stop crossdressing?

In the words of Stewie Griffin, "Whether you say you can or say you can't, you are right.
    Krisi

Quote Originally Posted by Marianne S View Post
    "Can it be subdued?" Subdued, yes. Eliminated, never!

I prefer the word "suppressed" rather than "subdued." Not that there's much difference in meaning, but "subdue" carries the possibility (and the hope!) that the urge will remain "subdued" in the long term, while "suppress" reminds us that there is pressure involved: that some of the time at least, we will have to continue indefinitely exerting pressure to "keep a lid" on the urge--because the urge never stops exerting pressure of its own for us to give in to it!

How is CD like an "addiction"? I can't claim to be any kind of expert on addiction, but Maria's mention of smoking points to a likely difference. My wife and I both smoked on and off for much of our lives, but eventually gave it up for good. However, even after quitting for good, our "relationships" with the habit still differed. For myself, once I'd taken a few weeks to get over the physiological addiction to nicotine, the urge to smoke went away and in the thirteen years since then I've never had any real desire to smoke. My wife on the other hand was more like Maria. She did succeed in quitting, but still retained an "affection" for cigarettes, and even years later was saying that she'd still like to be able to smoke.

We did both have the "usual problem" with weight gain after quitting, and that's because for many people like ourselves who kick a habit there still remains an underlying urge of some kind. With smoking it's presumably for "oral pleasure" or stimulation, and when that's no longer being satisfied by smoking, we turn to food instead!

Regardless of these differences, the point I want to make is that many addictions, once we have overcome them, do stay more or less permanently "subdued." Or at worst, the urge to resume indulging the addiction does not grow with time. I do understand for instance that many alcoholics after getting sober can never afford to drink again for fear of a relapse, but I don't suppose staying sober gets any harder with time, unless they're subjected to exceptional stress. I don't know how this works for gambling addiction and the like, but I gather most ex-heroin addicts don't have to stay on methadone for life. So even that deadly habit can be gradually "subdued." As I said, I'm no expert on addictions, but it seems to me that having overcome an addiction of any other kind, continuing to resist it gets easier with time, or anyway no worse.

Crossdressing is not like that. While the need to crossdress may wax and wane for many natural reasons, the likelihood is that the longer it's suppressed, the more the urge builds up until either it's satisfied or--for some people anyway--they start to suffer growing stress and other psychological consequences. For some this can be serious. It depends of course on the motives for crossdressing, which are not always the same. But as others have said, that's because the urges "come from inside," not from some acquired dependency on a particular substance or habit.

Speaking for myself, in my teens I went through the same cycle of "purging" and eventually "giving in" and resuming crossdressing, at least twice and possibly more: an experience so well known to all or most of us here. I've also noticed how, if I've been obliged to suppress crossdressing at one or two periods of my life, the urge "breaks out" with a vengeance once the "lid is off" again.

Probably the worst example of that was in my mid-to-late twenties when for the first time I was living full time with a girlfriend. Prior to that I'd lived either on my own or with my parents. Although I had limited opportunities to crossdress (in secret, naturally) while living with my parents, I knew there would always be those opportunities for the foreseeable future. If my attempts to purge and give up crossdressing caused stress in the short term, when the pressure to resume grew greater it was easy enough to give in to it! But once I was living with a girlfriend, I was telling myself "This is it! It's now or never! Now that we're having regular sex I ought to be able to kick this crossdressing habit permanently!" Of course, as we all know, this never works! But the more determined I was to "kick" the habit, and the longer I tried, the more the pressure grew, until in the absence of a wardrobe of my own (which I'd purged for what I'd fondly believed to be the "last" time before we moved in together), I found myself sneaking every opportunity, at considerable risk, to slip into my girlfriend's skirts, blouses and dresses--and needless to say, her bras and panties!--when she wasn't around.

That wasn't the reason we split, because I found in time that we had significant incompatibilities. Not the kind to cause big fights, but the kind that would have caused problems further down the Great Highway of Life. But after we split, my feminine self (which I'm sure she would never have accepted) did breathe a huge sigh of relief, and I did "break out" into a mini-orgy of gratification for Marianne's needs, which had been sorely and unwisely neglected in the meantime.

I learned a lot about myself from that experience, painful as it was at times, and I never tried to suppress my feminine self again; only to keep her discreetly in the background when circumstances called for it. It is not an "addiction." It is part of who we are!
    Marianne, thank you for your post, I read every word you said and it make sens. "Supressed" is the best term.
    In the example of smoking, I have quit 3 time and has been 5 decades since I smoked, but I still would like too but decided not to. I CD for about the same time but have not been able to supressed it. It always came back in a vengeance now that I live alone in my home. Where it will lead me , time will tell. I was reading about male and female chromosome and there are a whole population in the middle. I believe I'm in the middle 50/50 or some days more female. When I started, I was like the majority and did not know what was coming, but in the 60's it became clearer. We can all learn from each other and the support from each other.

Do you have a link to the article that suggests that there is a large population of people that are something different that XX or XY? I know that XXYs and XYYs are a very small percentage of the population (1 in 500 or less).

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor186 View Post
    Do you have a link to the article that suggests that there is a large population of people that are something different that XX or XY? I know that XXYs and XYYs are a very small percentage of the population (1 in 500 or less).
    Tailor 186
    Link is Intersex Society of North America .

I have to justify the times I dress at home since to my wife it is like seeing me walking around muttering crazy nonsense and it worries her.
    I feel like it's an addiction because it let's loose such a dose of pleasure, and I just want more.
    On the other hand, it lets loose that pleasure because I spent 60 years stifling my self and feeling marooned in a unsatisfying and dark mine. I'm ecstatic to be free.
    I can't give it up because it is my life ring, not because I crave the pleasure. In practice the intense dose of pleasure that comes when in the denied state becomes simply feeling normal when I can dress everyday.
    At a certain point, I ditch dresses for pants just to enjoy the freedoms of being a man.
    I think the addictive/obsession /compulsive feelings only exist because we are starved. We truly need to feel whole.

i don't believe it is an addiction and the psychological studies I have read do not refer to it as such.
    Yes, you can suppress it but I have found that doing so makes one very depressed and I have read the opinions of several counsellors saying that suppression leads to mental issues. It is as if I am denying a part of me.
    As many here have opined, the need to cross dress probably comes in part from just who you are. You are born with it although it may require a trigger in childhood to set it off. That trigger may be when you were dressed in female clothing as a young child. What is interesting is that many young boys have been dressed by mothers or sisters when they were young but not all have a continued interest in dressing as adults. That is why many of us believe that there must be something innate.

Yes I know about intersex. But my reading of ISNA is that it is a very rare. As they state doctors claim 1 in 1500-2000 people have the condition and maybe 1 in 1000-1500 is you throw in the kitchen sink full grey areas. Not a "whole population in the middle" by my way of thinking.

I have a friend that is intersex: XXY. This person crossdressed from youth, married, fathered children and then felt the need to transition. When one or two others in the CD support group we attended (that is how we met) found about her XXY then they wanted to be that too. It would solve their dressing confusion and marital problems with a simple understandable rational for why we do what we do. The person went on and on with the XXY narrative until the wife said, "go get tested." The person did and found normal XY not XXY: no intersex traits. Their internal and external story had to change a lot after that.

You may be the 1 in a 1000, who knows. For me, I would get tested to be sure before I went down that route.

Reality Check
    I agree. If you are confused, get tested. Remember, not everything you see or read on the Internet is actually true. And remember, sometimes what you see or read is actually a promotion for a point of view.
    Krisi

for me it is a passion. love the feeling of pretty things.
    for me I could never subdue the pink fog

Loved your story, Marianne.
    So much resonates.
    There resides within me a Woman, and she is powerful.
    She has been my Grace and Bearing on the stormiest seas.
    I could no more deny Her than I would my own soul.

I would not call my dressing an addiction. I believe a better term for me is obsession. Had to go for my yearly work physical and didn't underdress, and I feel very disappointed about it. I really miss my soft boyshorts today, but I was too nervous to wear them to the occupational med center.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie47 View Post
    I think one has to try to figure out, if at all possible, why someone engages in any behavior. What's the motivation?
    then
    I think it is best to give up trying to figure out the "why" you wear women's clothing because you'll never figure that out.
    It's this assumption of never being able to figure it out, which is most likely the fear of finding out what we don't want to know. We've been brought up to believe that being feminine in any way is the most awful thing possible, so if we found out why, and the reason is that we ARE feminine, perhaps it would bring many of us spiraling down into depression or worse. This is the best explanation that I can find for all of those who give up trying to figure it out. Plus, for many, it may be something buried so deep in their psyche, that they cannot figure it out without a whole lot of analysis either on their own, or with help. It took me decades on my own, and I'm sure many aren't willing to put in that much work, so it's easier for them to just ignore the reasons.

For the life of me I cannot understand why anyone engages in behavior that has known adverse consequences.
    Oh, that's simple. Because the alternative is worse.
    In our case, keeping the crossdressing urge bottled up too long might result in violent outbursts, suicidal or homicidal behavior, etc..
    It's been said if a person has uncontrollable urges to consume chocolates that personality can easily lead to alcoholism or drug addiction. It is a matter of substituting one thing for another. Only being an drug addict has more negative consequences that eating chocolate.
    Not necessarily, but drugs have the potential to kill you faster than chocolate. But both can do the job.
    A counselor I see for reasons other than any identity issues is of the opinion each person has some degree of DNA of the opposite sex.
    Oh, man, I wish they'd have these social science majors take a few more hard science courses. But it does help explain why we're still misunderstood, even by therapists.
    It's just the pull is stronger in some more than others. I my situation I am very content being a male. I have enjoyed the role with some exception, i.e., combat infantryman in Nam. So why is it I feel the pull to appear as a woman? It's the old stress related thing. Relief. Escapism? Should I have become a drug addict instead to escape stress? Or an alcoholic?
    Well, then why do you suppose all the other servicemen don't use crossdressing as a stress relief mechanism?

Because they aren't stressed out by NOT crossdressing. You can only get relief by addressing what it is that is stressing you out in the first place. Putting a normal male into a woman's outfit when he's stressed out will only exacerbate his situation.

But, see what wearing women's clothing does for you. It can be a soothing retreat from male reality or it can become an all consuming activity with all its negative consequences.
    It certainly won't make a non crossdressing male feel 'soothed' to dress him up as a girl.

I have found for myself that I can put wearing women's clothing on the back burner without any negative effects if there is sufficient motivation.
    Then the question becomes how long can you to it without the desire to poke it's head into your life again. I went for ten years. Others, even longer. Then the question becomes, what was the trigger that brought it all back to us. Sure, we could have continued to NOT crossdress, but with other stress related behavior coming to the surface instead.

I suspect for many cross dressers the inability to be en femme feeds on itself which causes more stress and cranky behavior.
    What we see most, is the stress of feeling guilty about it, which further stresses us out, decreasing our ability to suppress the desire to crossdress, and then the cycle repeats.
    Last edited by sometimes_miss; 12-05-2017 at 01:24 PM.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

For me cross-dressing/being transgender is not an addiction, it's not a compulsion and it certainly not anything to be ashamed of. For me it's an identity, when I'm dressed I'm striving to be the authentic me.

I'll admit to being all of the above! lol, but I'm ok with it. If I didn't dress, I'd be very depressed!!!
    "the sex is in the HEEL"

So many interesting responses. What I have learned over the years is that it is something different for many.

I give my reply based on the following.

My wife's ex became a woman and she went through the whole process, until they broke up. He basically used her to get there. Fine, so be it.
    She has had TG and CD friends but I have never had either. I have wanted to and my response is based on that want.
    I am straight, no bi tendencies what so ever which seems to be an anomaly and I'll explain why.

My wife has known about my cross dressing from the time we met. I openly wanted to allow us to talk about anything and shared all my secrets so that our relationship would not start with secrets. I also learned hers and doing this allowed us to build our relationship not only on trust and honestly but on understanding each others differences. I could not fathom the idea of keeping my CD interests secret in a long term relationship.

While it is not my wife's favorite thing to do, she has always been very fun about it. She makes our play evenings enjoyable, sexy and much more.
    She has her own little things that she is into and I work hard on making those as fun as they can be for her. She surprises me by bringing home tops, skirts, all kinds of fun things and I in turn look for opportunities for her to get to enjoy what she likes too.

We typically play 2 to 4 times a month, sometimes less, sometimes more. In all these years, I wish I would have known someone like myself, who understands, appreciates and who also would enjoy having someone to not only communicate with but perhaps to even dress together. Something I have never done with another guy.

I have advertised for years and nothing ever works out. first, I am straight and 99% of the replies are from guys who want sex with other guys. As I said, I have no issues with bi/gay, it's just not my thing however. I am not at all curious or interested in being intimate with another man.

Most times, when the guys finally focus and understand that my ad said very clearly that I am straight, they get angry and most ultimately flag my ad.
    Yes, people respond knowing full well that my ad said straight and then get angry when they realize I'm really, for sure, not interested.

I have also communicated with a lot of CDs and I walk away with one thing that I constantly see. Most are looking for acceptance, some kind of support, 'let me be who I want to be', 'don't judge me', etc etc. I am not here to be someones support center, I simply want to enjoy this for what it is.

For me, I have no need to pass or be accepted etc. I am not confused about my kink, I take it for what it is. It is something that I somehow became interested in and it has become part of my life. While I do not obsess about it, I have tried to purge thinking I could put it away if I wanted to but found that I was unable to. I wanted to understand if it was something I absolutely needed and mainly ended up having to buy new wardrobes each time I thought I could live without dressing up. Great way to put together all new outfits .

If I knew another CD, I would not want our friendship to be only about CDing. I would not want to constantly talk about dressing up or shopping or girlie things. I would want us to have a healthy guy relationship based on having lots of things in common including this amazingly fun side of our lives.

I would want to incorporate it into some of the guy things that we do into an all around friendship. I absolutely would enjoy shopping and talking about our naughty side and would love to get to dress with another guy some day but again, would want this to be a friendship based on other things as well.

Dressing up for me is something that I love doing, something I enjoy, even get totally excited about planning my next time but I don't find it confusing, I don't find it weird and always remind myself that there are plenty of people out there who really do have very weird kinks, even dangerous to themselves and others. I am happy that mine isn't those things and that my main goal is not getting caught by friends or family. I have no need what so ever for the world to know my secret.

Finally, on that last note, this is a secret, this is private and this is not something I would want to go mainstream because it would take the naughty out of it, making it 'normal' and I do not want that.

Carolyn