Thread: Doctors orders

Doctors orders

I have always enjoyed wearing pantyhose, matter of fact they were the 1st article of woman's clothing I wore. Well about a year ago my doctor told me to start wearing compression socks for swelling in my lower legs. Needless to say I know they would help which they did. Seeing as they were doing their job I decided to buy a couple pairs of support pantyhose in the same compression the socks are. I tried them and my legs feel so much better, however I did not wear them often. The past week my legs and knees have been really hurting so I have been wearing them a lot more and they are doing the trick. As is stands now I intend to wear them every day. Come next summer I think I will be wearing them openly with shorts too.

I have to say this is the best prescription a doctor ever gave me!

Andy

Now if the doctor would just tell you to wear heels, you would be set.

Panties4me
    Earlier this year I had treatment for a varigus vein in my leg. I had to wear a compression stockcing to prevent DVT and noticed how they helped with night cramps in my legs. So I bought some Skins compression tights, female, and started wearing them under my trousers.Convinced my wife they were doing the job, not sure she relises they are women's but is happy that my cramps have not been as severe as they were. I did buy recently some Men's skins but they don't fit as well as the women's and are not as colourful so I gave them to my Son.

My mother in law had noticed that I was wearing pantyhose and brought it up to my wife, my wife told her that I have been having pains in my legs and the doctor told me to wear compression socks. Because they are so expensive pantyhose are just as good and for her mother not to tell anyone as that I'm a little embarrassed about it.
    My wife came home and was upset that I was careless and she had to lie to her mother and make up some story. A few weeks later my wife came home with a bag with about five new pairs of pantyhose from her mom to give to me, explaining the pantyhose she gave me were a good brand and they are tighter and better for my legs. Worked out good, my wife covered me and I got new pantyhose.

I have orthostatic hypotension. It's low (hypo-) blood pressure not high (hyper-) blood pressure. It seems to be a circulation problem in that water pools in my feet, and consequently not enough in my head, which can make me lightheaded and sometimes even pass out. The cure for that is compression stockings, of course. I bought myself a pair of compression pantyhose, and besides helping my hypotension, help my legs feel much stronger.

Another time I had minor surgery and had to put on compression thigh highs for the surgery to avoid DVTs. I kept them to wear under my work pants, but the seem to keep falling down at the most inappropriate times.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

My Dr told me to wear support thigh highs to reduce swelling in my lower legs. She said that socks below the knee were not very useful at all and stay with thigh highs

Silver Member
    Doctor years ago wrote me a prescription for compression sox/hose. After he left the nurse that gave me the actual paper prescription said, most women wear support pantyhose because they are a lot cheaper and smiled. I'm sure she did not know about my CDing. I wore support hose for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Shayna View Post
    Now if the doctor would just tell you to wear heels, you would be set.
    Shayna, I'm with you. Andy, I don't need an excuse.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Reality Check
    If I could just get my doctor to tell me to dress like a woman all the time ........................ !
    Krisi

If I still had a prescription pad...

Quote Originally Posted by Sometimes Steffi View Post
    Another time I had minor surgery and had to put on compression thigh highs for the surgery to avoid DVTs. I kept them to wear under my work pants, but the seem to keep falling down at the most inappropriate times.
    As good an excuse as any to wear a garter belt .....
    "You are who you are, that's all right with me,
    But I am who I am, that's all I can be."
    -Trace Atkins, "Rough and Ready"
    ===========================================
    Just call me Kaylie

Andy, glad to hear you're seeing and feeling positive results from your compression socks and support pantyhose. I'm a firm believer in compression socks and hose. And since your doc has specifically recommended compression socks, one option you may not have tried yet are women's fashion knee high socks. I have some varicose veins on the back of one of my calves, and compression socks and knee high socks definitely help reduce their appearance. I know the fashion socks don't provide quite at much compression as true compression socks. But they still make a noticeable improvement, and they're much cuter!

Leelou, I've actually been online shopping for womens compression socks. Any recommendations?

nnyfunguy, the women's socks I'm referring to aren't truly compression socks. They are just regular women's fashion knee highs that I get at department stores. As I mentioned, they don't have as much compression as compression socks. But for me, they do provide some of the same benefits--like reduced swelling and reduced appearance of the varicose veins. My thought is that any fairly tight fitting knee high sock will provide as least some compression, so they might as well be cute!

California Dreamin Michaelasfun's Avatar
    I recently discovered the joys of knee-highs; gives you the feminine feel of nylons without the "whole monty", and they make great socks too!
    Michaela

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice. - Rush

I like the stay up nylons, it goes up the knee and looks cute.

Its my wife's idea, and not doc order !
    Wanting something is a fantasy which on a long time period clouds your mind and makes you think you need it.

Rayleen

Lol nice one, I have been diagnosed with stress, the only thing that relieves my stress is dressing, I wonder if he would prescribe that lol

Banned Read only
    I have peripheral neuropathy in my legs. I did some research on compression hosiery and found the cost ridiculous. I think the prices are jacked up because a physician prescribes them. There are various degrees of compression. I just swung over to Google and found a pair of unisex open toe compression pantyhose for $41.96 (MSRP: $59.95). One can buy a heck of a lot of regular pantyhose for that price. I have worn pantyhose for the neuropathy many times. In addition to making the legs feel a lot better, they help with the rump.

Platinum Member
    I have the same problem Stephanie, That is why I wear support pantyhose, Aside from the other benefits. >Orchid......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Quote Originally Posted by leannejacobs View Post
    Lol nice one, I have been diagnosed with stress, the only thing that relieves my stress is dressing, I wonder if he would prescribe that lol
    If he does, send us his contact information.
    "You are who you are, that's all right with me,
    But I am who I am, that's all I can be."
    -Trace Atkins, "Rough and Ready"
    ===========================================
    Just call me Kaylie

Years ago I had a horrible case of 'Jock Itch". Went to five different doctors over 8 month period. Creams, powders, pills and shots, nothing worked. Finally a female doctor suggested instead of my cotton briefs I try wearing nylon panties. Damn it worked, in three weeks all was well and doctor suggested to continue wearing nylon panties. Not a written prescription but wife accepted it and that was the beginning of my CDing. Took awhile to convince my wife that I need to wear a bra to prevent boob itch. LOL Yes this is a true story.

I too have compartment syndrome and was advised to wear compression stockings. Now that it's summer here I'm not wearing them on a daily basis anymore but during the winter, everyday. I was seeing a bit of improvement but another injury further down into foot affected any progress I was making. Surprisingly enough though, wearing heels helps greatly!
    i am what I am, I do what I do..
    i do not seek approval from others.

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    Just FYI

Pantyhose,support hose and compression stockings are 3 different things and perform 3 different functions

There is a simple dividing line between support hose, compression stockings and pantyhose. Support hose have a compression level at or below 20 mmHg while compression stockings are rated 20 mmHg or above. Pantyhose have a compression of 5 to 10 mmHG or virtually no benefit for medical purposes. The mmHg abbreviation stands for millimeters of mercury and is the same unit of measure in blood pressure.

Support hose can be bought over the counter at just about any pharmacy. However, compression stockings may require a prescription and a fitting by a medical professional if the compression level is above 40 mmHg or if they are custom made. Support hose and compression stockings are designed to elevate the blood from the lower extremities to the upper body. The waist band of pantyhose impedes the flow of blood negating any benefit.
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57