I am someone who is mostly closeted, primarily because I am in a small, Midwestern town. Despite this, I like to challenge myself from time to time. For example, I might drive myself to the mailbox to drop some mail, which means I am driving through my neighborhood in broad daylight. I do this to confront my fears in order to grow as a person.

Yesterday I decided to try dropping off a Redbox movie I had rented the night before. It was about 9 in the morning. I arrived at the location, ready to go. However, there was a car parked right in front of the machine, and the person in it was just sitting there, drinking coffee. I would have had to walk right in front of this person, which was something I really didn't want to do.

I decided to drive around the building. Now there were three vehicles parked there. The first vehicle was the same car. The second was backed into the spot, with the tailgate open. The third was unoccupied.

I decided to park across the street to see whether it would get better. That is when I discovered the purpose of the first two vehicles. They were there to restock the two Redbox machines! Frustrated by my petrifying fear, I decided to ditch the outing.

Why is it that many times I can face my fears, coming out the other end unscathed, yet other times I am petrified by the fear?

Sami