Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does the #meetoo movement help to encourage transgender acceptance...

No, I don't think it will help with transgender acceptance. But that doesn't mean that it isn't a transgender issue. I've always hated the fact that some men treat women as if they were subhuman. As if they were objects to be preyed upon. As if it didn't matter whether they were treated badly because they were just women. As if it were OK to behave like a beast with them because they're only there to please men.

I assume that I'm not the only transgendered person who has had a problem with this. If you try to look female, even for brief periods, I don't see how you could not have a great deal of respect for women and for what it means to be a woman. When a woman is treated badly, I can't help feeling that it reflects on me as well. This sort of thing is intolerable, and it's high time that something was done about it.

I support the #me-too movement. I think the issue of a false claim is somewhat of a red herring or a distraction.

Rape is real, harassment is real, discrimination is real. We ought not tolerate those behaviors.

Tracii: you do make some valid points. How do we protect the rights of the accused when years or even decades have passed? I do worry about that.

With sexual assault and harassment the perpetrator is often in a position of power or authority over the victim. Coming forward to make an accusation is nearly as difficult as the original incident. Victims carry a heavy burden and stigma. That's why I think they are reluctant to come forward.

In the case of clergy sex abuse there is a standard called credible evidence, that is evidence that is believable and plausible. At some point we need to make a judgment. That is why I support #me too. I am not personally willing to dismiss the #me too claims out of hand on the chance that a few might not be true. That's just me.

There are no easy answers though.

I think we're drifting away from the question of the OP, which I'll quote here:

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Langford View Post
    So my question is...given this widespread reprehensible behavior on the part of "normal" males that has tacitly been accepted by society in the past but is now being blown out of the water by women no longer willing to put up with it, can we transgender types now look forward to some sort of validation (and perhaps even overdue respect) for not being that type of jerk, despite our somewhat (ahem!) unusual inclinations regarding clothing choices and the place we occupy on the gender spectrum?
    If you have views on that topic, by all means air them out. Let's not have a debate over #MeToo as a whole since that wasn't the brief of this thread.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Aspiring Member
    I don't think that #metoo will benefit the (male) TG world. Not yet, and probably not for a long time. There is too much history of men's dominance over women to overturn. Remember, throughout history, women have been punished, tortured and even killed in their thousands, millions even, by laws enacted solely by men for the benefit of men. In war zones, it's not women who assault rampaging victorious soldiers, it's men who rape women, not for sexual purposes, but to demonstrate their physical power over them. The Patriarchy goes far deeper than the OP asks. Accepting TG rights (a good thing in itself) has nothing to do with breaking the glass ceiling. We though, can help what #metoo is trying to say, by supporting our fellow human beings, not women, but fellow humna beings, at the end of the day, we are all people and deserve to be treated equally. Unfortunately, too often with movements like #metoo, the patriarchy feels threatened and fights back with the old arguments, like 'What about men?', 'What about me?' Well, yes these things are bad, they are wrong and need to be dealt with in their own way. But that does fall under the #metoo umbrella. That's why, to get back to the OP, I don;'t think it will, nor do I think that it should.

If CD's try to coo opt the #metoo movement there will be a huge amount of blowback....like it or not, its primarily a womens movement, a long time coming..

surely men have been unfairly accused... women have been doing that to men they don't like for age...
    duke rape case comes to mind....but that is a different issue and in this political climate its not gonna gain purchase...just like over last million years all the women that were harassed by powerful men had very little recourse...
    men being unfairly accused is a legal issue, and its against the law to do it to them... casting couches, masturbating in front of someone, pinching butts and nasty comments are not illegal...and when your boss or a politician does it, its part of your job...so metoo gets it out there for the public to shame them...

also dont overestimate how accepting the world is of CD's and TS.....and many will look at it as male privilege showing up a again...
    I am real