Thread: Meeting people without fear

Meeting people without fear

I just started getting up the courage to go out in public. Would love to find places to go and feel like I belong. It took along time to bring myself to the reality that I only feel good when I dress up. Family don't understand my wanting to dress the way that makes me feel good. Some don't even want to talk to me anymore. Looking for new friends that understand this life change.

Hi Leonea and welcome! Many others here are, or have been, in the same place your are now. Myself included. After spending some time here reading and communicating with other member you will make new friends, learn a lot, and feel much better about everything. It takes time but this life change can be a good one for sure.

Hi Leonea and welcome,

Nita speaks for a good many of us. What I'd add is you'll read the phrase, "Baby steps", here often. Don't punish yourself or feel disheartened if you feel you're not making as much progress as you think you perhaps should be. It's a journey of discovery not a race.

There is so much good advice to be found here. Support is always at hand. Bon Voyage.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Hi, Leona:

Welcome to the forum. Many of us lived the majority of our lives without going out in public. I went out dressed for years and just drove around, fearful of being seen or having to interact with people. I graduated to driving to a populated residential/light commercial/restaurant laden area with lots of people out and about -- but walked about on the fringe (in the shadows), glad to be dressed and out, but still afraid of interacting with others. Shopping malls were next, over dressed and attracting attention, but still in a relatively safe place. Finally, with the courage that comes in numbers, a local Meetup group got me out in public and, lol and behold, nothing happened except my courage level soared and I started dressing more and more, and going out more and more.

My advice to any of us who go out alone and blend or pass, be safe. Keep your danger radar at full power and, if something starts to not feel right -- listen to yourself and respond accordingly.

You'll find tons of great advice here, and after you have your first ten postings, many other areas of this wonderful site will open to you.

Welcome, participate, and enjoy.
    Rhonda
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Be all the woman that you can be!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    . . . and now, On With The Show!

There may be Meet Ups in your area or in one of the big cities. They are good places to meet other like minded folk, in a safe environment. As Rhonda said, be safe!!!
    Please call me Lisa!

Leonea,

I see you are a Colorado girl.
    We need to talk, sister. Friend me.
    There resides within me a Woman, and she is powerful.
    She has been my Grace and Bearing on the stormiest seas.
    I could no more deny Her than I would my own soul.

Leonea,

You have made the right, first step. This forum will be a great resource to find more comfort in going out dressed as a woman.

Take Care,

Rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by Leonea View Post
    I just started getting up the courage to go out in public. Would love to find places to go and feel like I belong.
    Welcome. And as others have said, there are opportunities: support groups, conferences and meet-ups. They're good to get your legs under you. But over time, hopefully, you'll learn that places where you belong include Starbuck's, McDonald's, malls, book strores, etc. You belong wherever other people belong. (Someone had to say it.)
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

I prefer getting together with other CDs. Going to a crossdresser support group is a good way to get started dressing in front of others, a way to break the ice. TG events are similar. Once you get 10 posts two useful areas will be available to you - "places to go, places to meet" and "upcoming events".

Going out in general public is also easier if you're with a group of CDs.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Welcome nice to have you join the site.
    Join a local trans group in your area you will meet some very nice people just like yourself.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I know a number of openly dressing T's in Colorado. However, they r out to everyone. I'm not. But, I get out dressed A LOT!

I suggest u do what I do. I attend trans friendly events all over the country. Including quite a few near where I live. I have developed a very large social group of trans and their SO's and friends in a few years.
    However, I still do not go out dressed near my hometown.

Find some nearby T girls and they'll tell u the T friendly bars, clubs, etc. where u can hang out and meet folks!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Tracii is right a support group might be what you are looking for.

You can get some support here but it is not the same.

Everyone is different, still knowing how others find their way, cope, live, can help to find your compass.

As for friends, I have done it out in the real world.

The best piece of advice I could give is the only person holding you back is you.

It will take time, fear does not go overnight.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Leonea, you took the right first step by joining here. As others have said, find a local CD/TG group and meet like minded ladies to find acceptance....
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".