Thread: What would you do

What would you do

My wife and I have been invited to a "Great Gatsby" costume party by our daughter in law. She, our son and all of the family know and I have been to other parties at her house as Alice and many of her friends have met Alice. The big difference is that my wife will attend this one and there will be new friends and people she works with at this party. I think it would be a hoot if I could wear a flapper out fit and my wife dress as my malecounter part.

What would you do?

Banned Read only
    I would ask your wife.

Hi, Alice! I think as long as there is no offense to your wife or friends, Go for it! Sounds to me like a cute idea as long as no one gets offended! You know with all those nasty consequences! IMHO Hugs and have a good time! Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

I think your statement Costume party says go for it, but do run it by the wife in a caring way that what her opinion on it is very important to you.

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    This is what I know is the correct answer -"I'd ask my wife, respect her wishes, go and have fun"

This is what I'd want to say - "Go for it !, even if both of you are flappers, Sounds like a great time to be had"

Take the first advice and ignore the second

Kelly

P.S. Let me know if you need a Flapper Dress
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

Is it your wife or daughter who will be having coworkers at this party?
    Whoever that person is, is who I’d ask.
    I am not a woman nor am I a man... I am an enby. Hi, I am Wren.

sounds like a nice idea.I would say go for it if your wife agrees. .
    Part Time Girl

As the controller would say at the bombing range; "You are cleared in hot."
    There resides within me a Woman, and she is powerful.
    She has been my Grace and Bearing on the stormiest seas.
    I could no more deny Her than I would my own soul.

Yes!
    A think tank with your wife and the best way to present yourselves.
    If she thinks you should both go straight, do that.
    There will be other opportunities and those at the party expecting to see Alice will comment about it, depending on the mood of those missing Alice you can build on it for the next gig.

I do hope the think tank and party turn out as you want. :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Just do it already! DaisyLawrence's Avatar
    If your wife agrees I would definately go with your suggestion. Great fun.

Aspiring Member
    This sort of thing isn't only about one person, it's about both of you, so, if she's happy, then GO FOR IT!!

The big issue here is you're wife's co-workers. If there are potential negative ramifications wrapped around her career/employment then you have to err on the side of caution and give this one a miss.

I would ask your wife and if she is OK your DIL.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

I'm hoping that if you talk to her beforehand, your wife will be game for this. Realistically, I'm guessing the odds are greater than not that she won't.

You know best though. If the odds are low by your own assessment, is it worth even going there?
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Reality Check
    Even with a good excuse (Halloween, costume party, etc.), the temptation is for a crossdresser to do her best. Now when Joe Average dresses up as a woman, it's comical. Balloons for boobs, a cheap party wig, clothes that don't fit, unshaven legs and bad makeup. People know it's a one time costume and they laugh.

When a crossdresser dresses, she has a $100+ wig, perfect makeup, $300 silicone boobs, $200 hip/butt pads, shaven legs and walks well in perfectly fitting heels. People will know that she doesn't just dress as a woman once a year for parties.

Ask your wife, of course, but keep in mind what I posted.
    Krisi

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    My 2 cents, Alice. U won't get many opportunities like this. However, if your wife is uncomfortable I know u will have a bad evening, too.

Maybe she would be more comfortable if u both went as flappers? Run it by her. And, good luck! I hope u 2 have a ball!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I will discuss this with her, but the co workers are not my wife's (she is retired), but those of our daughter in law. If she says OK I will have to find a flapper outfit. All the sites I have checked show sizes that are too small for me.

The only thing I hate more than the Great Gatsby is Gastby parties, so my suggestion is don’t go. :P

Sit down with her and watch "some like it hot" and bring up the idea during the movie. She should be in a good mood laughing at the Tony Curtis and Jack Lemon.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.