Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Facebook account

Facebook account

I have never been a person to have a Facebook profile , but thought that Gwen might benefit from an account. Signed up as Gwen and they asked for a phone number to send an “activation”code number.

Well it seems that my phone number did not belong to Gwen so my account is locked.

Has this happen to anyone and is ther anything I can do about it.

Gwen

All I gave fb when I joined was my name. I do not give them anything else. I just gave them an email address and joined. Asking for phone numbers is just another way for them to collect personal information. I have three different email addresses, so I know who is selling my information. Don't play games when they ask questions like....find out what the top song was the year you were born.

Don't they have a contact email address or number you can contact fb with to correct your account ?

Banned Read only
    I have two accounts. One for me and one for "Me". I don't remember if they asked for my phone number but I don't remember any problems setting up either account.

Best bet is to create another email address and try again.

Aspiring Member Michelle Crossfire's Avatar
    I don't really facebook. Too many problems in the past with privacy. I am of the saying, if you want to talk to me, you can either call me, text me or actually talk to me in person.
    [B][I]Call me Michelle: doll:

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I have two accounts one male and one female each are on different browsers using separate email addys.
    Never had them ask for a phone number just email address.
    I do all mine on a desk top and not on my cell phone so maybe thats why.

I have more than one fb accounts for various reasons but none are for me as a cd.
    Problem with multiple accounts on the same browser is that your cd profile may come up as a friend suggestion for you and your friends as I think has been mentioned on here before.
    Lots of Love Lilly xx

Not me in the avatar but the lovely Jenny Powell who I loved so much

Aspiring drama queen Isabella Ross's Avatar
    Short answer: yes. I think FB is trying to clean up its act, in terms of letting people create accounts with names/contact info that they don't legally use.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    If you use different browsers and say your male side pops up as a possible friend just block it.
    I blocked mine and have never had any issues all the years I have had a girl page so there is no connection to my guy page.

You can create and use an FB account without furnishing them with your phone number, although you will have to provide a valid email address. The irony, of course, is that they probably already know your phone number, they're just after your permission to use and abuse it. I never grant such permission.

I've also heard FB will reject an account if they think you are impersonating someone or using a fake ID, but I've had two accounts for ages. The key is to use separate browsers and email addresses. Be aware, however, that in time you will probably see some crossover anyway; for example, FB is fond of suggesting new friends for us, and I'm now seeing a few suggestions for Sherri from my straight life and vice versa. This has necessitated removing my photo and any other specifically identifiable info from my Sherri account in order to guard against being outed, which sorta hinders the purpose of social media. Annoying.

Is this something new? A few years back I re-activated my Ericka account which had been dormant for a few years. They didn't ask for my phone number then or when I joined originally. They just needed a valid E-mail account. The possible reason I can see for verifying your phone is data mining on their part.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Aspiring Member
    I have 3 FB accounts - 1 for personal use and the other two for businesses. I have never been asked to provide a phone number when setting them up.
    It might be that I set all the accounts up on my desktop PC rather than on a phone, or maybe FB have changed their policy since I set them up.

Every so often Facebook nags me to add my cell phone number "to help secure my account." I think their real reason is more data mining so they can send me targeted advertising.

After some research it appears that FB has started this as a new policy. They do not want any fictitious accounts. They ask for a phone number to text an authorization code to complete the application process. They must match up the number with the name submitted and if it does not match they ask for additional verification that you are who you said you are. They want picture ID birth certificate or passport. There are some ways around this such as fake ID . Don’t think it’s worth it.

I have two fb accounts, one for Brenda and one in my drab name. I use a chrome book and have two user names, each has a corresponding gmail address; the chrome book keeps them separate very well. Because fb was giving Brenda a bad time about sharing a cellphone number I picked up a "burner" phone and found the cheapest pay as you go plan and now Brenda has her own cellphone, gmail address, and fb account. Talk about split personality, it is hard keeping them separate sometimes Hope this helps. Brenda PS: fb did send an activation code to make me prove that they were separate accounts.

I have two accounts, I don't use seperate browsers, but do clean my history daily. If you are login in from the same place (no matter how many browsers) its the same IP address. But then again if other members of your family are also logging in from the same venue its the same IP address.

I have spent a lot of time blocking everyone i know in my male life in my Becky Account
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

Gold Member
    Ahh, the weekly thread about how people post femme photos on FB and then wonder how they got outed. Maybe not the OP's intent but that is what always turns up. Yep, keep trusting FB with your private life. Makes about as much sense as leaving the keys in the car and running then wondering how your car could have been stolen.

At one point web users were advised not to give out too much personal info on the web. But today people just give and give. Like advertising they are going away on vacation (and their house an easy target). But as if that were not good enough, you can see their check-ins 1,000 miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lynn3 View Post
    Don't play games when they ask questions like....find out what the top song was the year you were born.
    Couldn't they be a little more obvious about trying to data mine? Kind of like those games "Find out what your movie star name is, just use the first 5 letters of your first name and the first 5 of your last name..."

Quote Originally Posted by Isabella Ross View Post
    Short answer: yes. I think FB is trying to clean up its act, in terms of letting people create accounts with names/contact info that they don't legally use.
    Of course in the older days of the web most everyone used aliases. Usually something to the effect of a/s/l. But no, facebook wants REAL info to stalk people.

Quote Originally Posted by Charona View Post
    Every so often Facebook nags me to add my cell phone number "to help secure my account." I think their real reason is more data mining so they can send me targeted advertising.
    Yes, that is the actual reason, to collect more data.
    One has to realize that EVERY time a web page does something nosy, it is "for added security". Bullcrap. They have been using that same, tired excuse for decades.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Aviatrix in Waiting Melanie Moxon's Avatar
    Facebook can be a pain, I have only the one account for the male me, which may become the real me, but that is a long road ahead.

I have taken the attitude of giving it the least amount of information possible as it is an information vacuum. Even in private chats when you for example ask a friend "mind if I pop round tomorrow" it instantly tries to give you some sort of event creation widget in the chat window. FB seems to be saying "I need your information, all of it, NOW!". It could be a truly scary thing to the unwary, much to my relief my mum deactivated her FB account after being pressed into it by an Auntie, just so photos could be tagged.

Platinum Member
    I have one Facebook account with a fictitious name, false address and entirely made up personal history. Somehow, they still have managed to suggest links to people I know. The amount and depth information being gleaned from our phones , tablets and computers is really appalling.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Becky Blue View Post
    I have two accounts, I don't use seperate browsers, but do clean my history daily. If you are login in from the same place (no matter how many browsers) its the same IP address. But then again if other members of your family are also logging in from the same venue its the same IP address.

I have spent a lot of time blocking everyone i know in my male life in my Becky Account
    I do just that. Clear my browser daily. Even if I was looking at some nice clothes. If you don't they pop up when some else in the family uses the computer.

I've closed my FB account last year and will keep it that way. I actually hate the concept of FB and what they do with all the informations and pictures.

Genderblur Francene Lola Dupree's Avatar
    Facebook completely outted me to my brother and his wife which was not my intention at all.
    I had two profiles, his and hers, used on separate browsers. Then one day my fem profile was offered to my male profile as 'people you may know". I went into security lockdown and deleted the female profile.

Then months later my brothers wife showed me a photo on her phone of my female profile pic!! Seems it was still somehow being offered as 'people you may know', even when I checked it confirmed that the account had been deleted and the profile pic replaced with a generic image.

I figured maybe it linked the his and hers accounts as they were regularly accessed via the same IP address? Or some kind of witchcraft.

Anyway, be careful with Facebook. I now maintain minimal personal info on my male account.

xXx

I have never had a FB account. This forum gives me something to do while my wife is on her FB.

Aspiring Member
    No desire to have a facebook account. Glad to live "under the targeted advertising radar." This forum, my regular email and, yes, a normal phone call keeps me in touch with friends.

Ineke

I have thought about doing a facebook for Tara, but after reading some of the posts here, I think I am not going to at this point. Even with all of the security settings and such, it is too easy to miss something and have things get out there.

I'm thinking maybe the account was created on a cell phone and that is why it's asking for a phone number? I also use two different browsers on my computer with two different eMail addresses. On my cell one account uses the FB app and the other uses the cell's browser. I have been asked to provide a phone number and just ignore it.
    Genny B
    Dani (Genny before Transition)
    All Girl!