Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TSA Encounter

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Kelly View Post
    This is exactly the type of behavior one can expect from low wage workers given a position of responsibility that exceeds their often meager grasp of common social mores. You know, thugs.
    Whoa, girl, back up there. I have no real love for the TSA either, but they are doing THEIR jobs, which is making absolutely sure that everyone on the plane is safe. Are you sure it was done out of malice, or could it have been a mistake? These people get more harassment than trans or CD or anyone does (well, maybe excepting the IRS) by having to deal with the public on a daily basis and putting up with all sorts of crap from travelers. Before you judge them, walk a mile in their heels and see what it's like from their side.

If we wanted to talk about thugs in positions of power, this could very easily turn into a political discussion/argument/cat fight, so we won't go there ....
    "You are who you are, that's all right with me,
    But I am who I am, that's all I can be."
    -Trace Atkins, "Rough and Ready"
    ===========================================
    Just call me Kaylie

I fly a lot, sadly not yet pretty--on my bucket list. I have TSA Precheck. What that means is I don't have to take my shoes and belt off and almost always go thru a magnetometer. The key word is "almost" as every once in a while I get randomly selected to go thru the scan. If I were underdressed with a bra it might show up as not right for male profile and be patted down. I have often worn panties and tights while flying this has never been an issue.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    While most TSA agents r made aware of trans and how to treat us, they may have no clue why we mite underdress. (They aren't the only ones!)

He simply concluded u may be hiding something. And, he was rite!

If u had been dressed, they would have most likely had a woman check u out.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

That is what's wrong with many. They think that all trades and professions are customer service.
    They ARE NOT customer service. They are their for security purposes only. Do not think they work for you. They have a job to do and usually do it well.

It’s interesting that you got singled out like that, especially since you had no forms on. Other than a possible sharp weapon in the form of an underwire, where’s the danger? This guy must be a newbie or a real Barney Fife trying out his new found powers. Hope this episode educated both of you.
    As for flying pretty, I will be going for the first time in 45 days. My plan is to dress simple and be who I am. Already a TSA registered flier, so I’m planning for no hick ups and call for a matron if they decide to get touchy-feely.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

Aspiring Member
    You never know. Perhaps the TSA man secretly was a crossdresser and was just trying to "communicate"

Ineke

Reality Check
    I wonder how many people a TSA agent has to deal with in a single day, day after day and how many are nasty and how many thank them for their service. It doesn't seem like a dream job to me.

I think the folks who are angry with TSA agents and security procedures at airports would do well to redirect their anger towards the people who make it necessary to have security agents and procedures at airports in the first place.

50 years ago you just walked up to the gate, showed them your ticket and walked onto the plane. Think about it.
    Krisi

Sometimes you just have to laugh at the absurdity. I travel drab but have 2 metal hip joints. The metal detectors scream at me. The scanner shows anomalies at the crotch. When the agents see the scanner screen showing where they have to check most grimace but a few smile. They ask if I want a private screening and I say no thanks, just get it done.

Banned Read only
    Heidi, Irene was singled out for a pat down because she was presenting as male but wearing a bra and her bra claps show up in the scanner.

The same thing has happened to me, (TSA agent said "There was an alarm on your back") but my wife ahead of me who of course was also wearing a bra did not get an alarm.

If she was presenting as female they would have probably made the same allowances. So if you are going to "fly pretty", then go all the way and you should have no problems.

I actually had a relatively good encounter with the TSA while underdressing. I was going to be on a long flight flying from the east to west coast for work and (although planning to dress en femme once I got to my hotel) wanted to enjoy my new matching panties and bralette while on the plane. I was presenting as a man and thus when I went through the "scanner" (the new things) I was motioned to step out of line to answer some questions. I looked at the "x-ray" (muted image of my body) and could see it had picked up the minuscule metal clasp on my bralette strap. As I was presenting as a man, a male agent was assigned to me. Since I already had an idea why I had been asked to step out of line I decided to get ahead of this and I leaned over and whispered to the agent "I'm wearing a bra." I was pleasantly surprised by his answer. In a quiet voice he said "cool, I now understand, but please excuse me I will need to pat down your back." I nodded and all he did was pat my back where the bra straps were and he said "enjoy your day" and was allowed to proceed. While I appreciate there are lots of not-so-great stories out there, I did want to share this one.

Linda Anne,
    Great story and a learning experience for us all. Thanks.
    There resides within me a Woman, and she is powerful.
    She has been my Grace and Bearing on the stormiest seas.
    I could no more deny Her than I would my own soul.

Silver Member
    He was doing his job, he could have lost his job if he hasn't investigated. As the old saying goes, don't hate the players, hate the game. Hate the people who make this necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    That's a bit harsh, don't you think?
    I do not, for reasons I have already stated; that by any credible metrics, the TSA is ineffective. The reasons for this are several and various, and beyond the scope of discussion on this forum. More to the point though, I have on several occasions seen agents display an over-inflated sense of self importance and quickly turn into authoritarian assholes with no provocation. To be sure, those are the exceptions, but they are the predictable sequelae when someone ill-equipped to handle such authority is given it. We can blame many things, like poor training, the frustration of a difficult job that pays barely above minimum wage, etc., but it is as inexcusable as it is predictable.

I see nothing wrong with what the TSA agent did. Their job is to find hidden items and you showed on the scanner that you had something strapped around your chest.

Reality Check
    Quote Originally Posted by Vale View Post
    Sometimes you just have to laugh at the absurdity. I travel drab but have 2 metal hip joints. The metal detectors scream at me. The scanner shows anomalies at the crotch. When the agents see the scanner screen showing where they have to check most grimace but a few smile. They ask if I want a private screening and I say no thanks, just get it done.
    It's not at all absurd. You could be carrying weapons or explosives.

You should be able to get a card from your doctor or surgeon stating that you have metal hip implants. Show it to the agent. That's what my wife does.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

I do not, for reasons I have already stated; that by any credible metrics, the TSA is ineffective. The reasons for this are several and various, and beyond the scope of discussion on this forum. More to the point though, I have on several occasions seen agents display an over-inflated sense of self importance and quickly turn into authoritarian assholes with no provocation. To be sure, those are the exceptions, but they are the predictable sequelae when someone ill-equipped to handle such authority is given it. We can blame many things, like poor training, the frustration of a difficult job that pays barely above minimum wage, etc., but it is as inexcusable as it is predictable.
    Well, perhaps you should take the bus.

In life, we are usually treated the way we treat others. If you display a bad attitude towards someone in authority, it's likely that they will have a bad attitude towards you. These people have a job to do and they are required to screen hundreds of people each day, day after day. Big people, small people, nice people and people with bad attitudes who have the need to feel superior to other people.

I seriously doubt that any "thugs" would even take the job, much less last more than a day or two.
    Krisi

The TSA like cops for the most part are very cool. Every once in a while you get an authoritarian ass. Someone who doesn't get to hold the remote at home so they take it out on others... That is the nature of humans in a position of power. And they have a power over your traveling.

More to the point though, I have on several occasions seen agents display an over-inflated sense of self importance and quickly turn into authoritarian assholes with no provocation.
    Honestly, I've seen the same behavior in travelers confronting a TSA agent. The world is a varied place. It seems to me that Krisi's dictum to treat others the way you would like to be treated is the best approach. I've never had a problem with a TSA agent nor have I ever created a problem for a TSA agent.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    I seriously doubt that any "thugs" would even take the job, much less last more than a day or two.
    I strongly disagree. There are lazy thugs in the TSA. They may not be in the majority, but they are there. I met three of them at DCA last April. Their motivation was clearly laziness and they used thuggery to get the point across. The first one was female. When I opted out, she pushed me off to the side and waited until I would finally get tired of the game and go through the naked passenger scanner rather than miss my flight. A half hour later, I got tired of her waiting game and started to stand in traffic. She scolded and scolded but I had a flight to catch. When she realized that I was going to fight back passively, she then summoned the second thug, a man who dragged me into a filthy broom closet and sexually assaulted me. When I filed a complaint formally, I met the third thug two weeks later. She was an investigator who told me, "That us how we do things here. Get used to it!"

In June, I met a TSA thug at GEG who did a smackdown instead of a pat down. He punched me in the groin intentionally because I asked to opt out of the scanner. He did it right in front of a supervisor who approved of it. (I have on old army injury that makes the naked passenger scanner impractical.).

I have had cops on the TSA line tell me, "Thanks for keeping your cool. They (the TSA) are a problem for us." One cop added, "We had someone else who they did some petty stuff to. She threw her shoes in the inspector's face. We had to break it up and take her downtown."

It is well documented that the FBI broke up a ring of TSA inspectors who were sexually preying on male passengers at DEN awhile ago.

The TSA gets paid a lot more than minimum wage. Before they successfully lobbied Congress in 2003 to get civil service status, they were airline or airport employees hired at will and rather low paid. They now have public employees' union membership and federal union pay scale. With public employees' job security protections, it is not easy to get rid of the bad apples. I have fired bad federal employees in my day jobs, but it takes time and some serious hard work to do so.

So, no, I strongly disagree. There are thugs and lazy jerks on a power trip in the TSA. They do last more than a day or two.

That's very true, Pat. LEO's refer to it as failing the attitude test. At that point, the subject gets just about zero slack. Most of the time that's perfectly appropriate, IMO. But what I am talking about are times like the one (for example) where I was pulled out of line for some reason that escapes me now and asked to do something (also escaping me now). I did not understand the request, and responded that I did not understand. Agent Thug immediately puffed himself up, stepped into my space and asked in an overly aggressive tone, "Are you refusing to comply?" It was a completely inappropriate response to a simple and honest question. Maybe he's already spent 7.5 of his 8 hour day doing the same mindless routine and was a little frustrated by the stupid passenger. I get that, but in no way does that excuse his behavior. My point is that a certain amount of such behavior (and like that of the agent who vandalized my luggage) is predictable, given the pool they're hired from and the clearly inadequate training they receive.