Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are most Dresses sold at Thrift stores going to Women or Cds

Are most Dresses sold at Thrift stores going to Women or Cds

I love all the pretty dresses you find at thrift stores but have never heard of a GG I know buying a dress other than a costume from a thrift store.

Are we competing with GG or other Cds for the cute size 10 dresses and up ?

Are CDs important to the thrift industry ?

I tried a thrift store only once and felt that everyone was staring at me in the womens section. In a department store I can just say I am dress shopping for my wife but no one would believe that at a thrift store ! LOL

It's hard to be sure but I don't the places selling really care as long as they make money.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Banned Read only
    They are going to more women than us. All it takes is spending a little time in a thrift store to see how many more women are shopping for woman's clothes than men.
    Last edited by Robertacd; 12-20-2017 at 02:49 PM.

I have a thrift store within walking distance of my place. I have a feeling that I'm going to start taking more advantage of that place soon, you never know what you can find! But I'm sure a lot of CDs shop at thrift stores, especially the ones who are on a tighter budget. Can't blame them for being thrifty

When I hunt thrift store bargains in my town I'm the only male in the women's section along with many women.

Silver Member
    Based purely on speculation, and the relatively low incindence of male crossdressers vs 51% of the general population, my guess would be No, not even close.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I see mostly women at thrift stores and I have made friends with a few just because we go on the same days usually.
    Monday is the best day to find stuff because they stock new incoming items on Sunday night.
    I have been right in the gaggle of women fighting over stuff and its a blast.
    Don't let homophobia stop you from getting great deals on clothing items.

Women definitely, Just don't grab a dress that a GG has her eye on. I almost lost a hand that way! LOL My wife finds a surprisingly high number of articles of clothing at thrifts in our area that are new. Still have tags on them or the extra buttons still attached. She bought a designer dress with a $110.00 dollar tag on it for $20.00 last Saturday.

I would venture to say that it is the exact opposite...GG's are clearing out their closets and donating their dresses, skirts, and high heels in droves as all they want to wear these days are the ubiquitous jeans, jogging pants, yoga gear, leggings, and jeggings etc. that they seem to favor instead.

Personally, I'm O.K. with that...leaves more "girly" stuff to go around for us crossdressers to buy...

I buy most of my clothes at Goodwill. Many women from work also buy at thrift shops.

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    I've bought several items at charity shops, always well outnumbered by women when I go.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

I see a whole lot more women in the women's section than men. So I'd say they buy more than us. A tip my daughter taught me. Go to Goodwill stores in higher income areas. They tend to have name brand and better quality
    Clothing.

If you'd do the math instead of wishful thinking based on fetishes, you'd realize that women outnumber crossdressers (etc.) by a factor of at least 20, so there's just no way.

Also, the people you know aren't a representative sample of anything (and this goes for everyone), but it would also be very surprising if the women who are most into thrift shopping, say the top couple percent, weren't buying at least as many dresses as the top couple percent of men in that. (As I've said before, this is a forum that selects for men who are most interested in feminine clothing, but doesn't select for that among the women who join. Your life in general probably doesn't select for the latter either. Thrift store shopping, on the other hand, might.)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissDanielle View Post
    If there's one thing I hate more than anything in the world: it's living a lie. And clowns.

I've never been in a thrift store as we donate all of our clothing to a place in our very small town to one place and they take care of it. Give us a receipt for what they appraise the value at for taxes and then we usually don't go inside. They have several workers there that volunteer, they wash n dry every thing hang it, and even mend any tears. You must be on welfare with a card, or on food stamps to get in to help with their family needs.
    The reason it is like this was because several merchants down town were coming in buying at very big discounted prices and then reselling the merchandise at their shops.
    When someone in town dies many times the relatives go thru the deadly belongings and get what keepsakes they want and tell the mission to come get what's left. They store calls themselves a mission but usually do charge a small price for an item. That then pays for electricity and lease only as work there is on a volunteer basis.
    I really don't think many CDs go there, I suppose the thrift stores are different and make a bigger profit.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    From personal experience I can say conclusively u r competing with GG's.

I've shopped in a zillion different thrift stores over the last 20 years. Can't recall ever seeing another man or CD picking thru the women's things!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I've been shopping in Goodwill and Savers a few times, usually in drab mode, and I've gotten the stink-eye from a few women in there before. I just calmly stare back at them until they look away, then go back to what I was doing. Yes, it was mainly women (GG's) cruising the store, with a few guys checking out tools, toys, electronics, etc.

Got some good deals on some women's jeans - less than ten bucks for some Gloria Vanderbilt and Old Navy. Dresses? No, I decided to pass, but there was this one LBD I was looking at for a while .....
    Last edited by Kayliedaskope; 12-20-2017 at 01:46 PM.
    "You are who you are, that's all right with me,
    But I am who I am, that's all I can be."
    -Trace Atkins, "Rough and Ready"
    ===========================================
    Just call me Kaylie

Banned Read only
    Robbie,
    It's an interesting question, I have been elbowed out of the racks in charity shops and have had clothes snatched before I could reach them, I do admit I personally haven't seen a man buying from the female racks but I'm told it does happen .

OK the skirt and blouse in my avatar are from a charity shop , the SA was very envious that I could slip into the size 10 skirt , the whole outfit was about £15.00 , I will continue to use in these shops , I don't have a problem , yes people do look but I've long got over that .
    Last edited by Teresa; 12-20-2017 at 01:56 PM.

At times I'll swing by a thrift store. But most of my shopping is done at Kohl's or Sears.. Target usually has a good selection too. I do get looks but once the payment is made the looks stop.. I do shop with the Mrs before hand so the stores don't question my purchases.

My wife and her friends are ferocious thrift store shoppers. In our area North of Naples, FL the bargains are insane! My wife bought a pair of brand new Georgio Armani heels for $5. We looked online and they sell for $750.

Personally, I rarely find size 16-18 anything at a thrift store. So, I buy on eBay, Amazon, and Full Beauty online. 75% of my wardrobe is eBay.

I see lotsof woman shopping for dresses at thrift stores, but most re from Mexico. Nota big supprise since Tijuana is only 16 miles away. I also see more Mexican woman shopping at stores like Macy's

Platinum Member
    I go to thrift stores a lot looking for books or accompanying my wife who does not drive. Practicing to be an Uber driver. I never see men perusing the women's clothing. Realistically, you have to consider the percentage of cross dressers in the male adult population and whether those men are going to attempt to buy dresses at all. Ebay may be a different situation when it comes to buying plus size undergarments and outerwear. Just look at the insane bidding on colorful full slips or plain black or white when it comes to sizes 42, 44 and 46. A woman would not make those outrageous bids. Similar slips in sizes 32, 34, 36 and even 38 go for a lot less money than those larger sizes. And, many times I see bids for currently available slips at retail which have outrageous bids. A woman or confident cross dresser would order them on line from a known retailer.

For all those that have said they never see a male looking through the women's racks in a thrift store: you've never been in the store I am in.....

As to the OP, the majority of women's clothing is bought by....................

>DRUM ROLL<

..... women.

Surprise, surprise. Not.
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!

Yes there are far more women and they have helped me find stuff. I just bought a nice coat at the thrift store and my SO got one also.
    Part Time Girl

No one is buying dresses at my local Goodwill in NE DC. It is awful. However, I have been across the bridge to the Commonwealth of Virginia and the Goodwill in Arlington is fantastic. I don't believe we are forcing women out of charity shops though.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

I have shopped in thrift stores, the people there said I hope your wife likes it. I said she would. In one thrift store they had quite a few size 11 shoes in brand new condition, I wondered if they were the result of a purge.
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!