Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is dressing up as a women make me not normal and mental ill?

Crossdressing is not a diagnosable mental illness, Taylor. Gender identity disorder was written out of the DSM's latest revision.

While those with gender identity issues have significantly higher rates of mood disorders (depression, anxiety, PTSD, etc.), I am inclined to think disrespect and abuse by others and not accepting oneself as they are is a significant part of the problem.

I've been told by a psychiatrist that a cause and effect relationship has been found between disrespect/abuse and mood disorders.

The best thing you can do is accept yourself as you are. I realise this is easier said than done. It does require significant thought and work.

I have never considered my femme side to be a disorder. I have always accepted it and seen it as part of who I am. I have kept it hidden, though, and am only recently began allowing Monique to have more of my time. Being retired, I don't have to go out and be a man every day, so I can spend more time as my true self. Joining this forum and spending time reading other girl's stories has been very therapeutic for me.

Reality Check
    "Is dressing up as a women make you not normal and mental ill? "

First of all, a man dressing as a woman is not considered "normal" because the majority of men do not wear women's clothes. Not being normal does not make you mentally ill.

Second, wearing women's clothes does not make a man mentally ill. If anything, it's the other way around, being mentally ill could make you want to wear women's clothes.

You are asking a group of people who joined this forum because they wear women's clothes if crossdressing is a mental illness. I think the answers you get here will be pretty biased. Few of us are willing to admit that we might be mentally ill. Mental illness is not like the flu or pneumonia where you either have it or you don't. The term "mental illness" is pretty vague and pretty much means you are different from the norm or don't have a good grasp on reality.

If you suspect that you might be mentally ill, I suggest seeing a psychiatrist for an evaluation. Otherwise, don't let it bother you.
    Krisi

Aspiring Member
    Probably not "normal" but not ill either. The main problem with CDing is lack of acceptance by friends and family, employment, etc. if that is a concern for you. If you have a strong urge to "dress" it probably will not go away and you might as well accept it and enjoy it. You will have to find a mode that is acceptable to you. You will probably want to find a lady who can share it with you too. If you can "pass" it opens up a lot of possibilities for fun for you and a girlfreind in a relationship. Sherrii.

it's not a mental disorder as mental disorders tend to be more involuntary. it tends to deal with the brains ability to process information whether it's speech, learning, distortion of the sense and so on.

is it normal? No it's not normal.

But normal is nothing more than the "mask of average" everyone wears. Most people aren't that normal but put on the act of being normal.

Normal is the expectations you think everyone has of you.

It takes guts to be unique and to own that uniqueness and accept it as you.

Quote Originally Posted by redtea View Post
    is it normal? No it's not normal.
    I disagree. It's unusual, but it's not abnormal. We expect to see trans people within any human population -- if there were none, that would be abnormal.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

If you are Mtf transgender, dressing in female clothes is normal. Same is true if you are ftm transgender and you dress as a male. In both cases you are NOT mentally ill for dressing as your preferred gender. Period. End of story.

Also dont confuse your gender identity with sexual orientation. You can be mtf trans and like men, or women, or both, any way its normal, NOT a mental illness. Period. End of story.

I see gurls online from time to time who I suspect are mentally ill, and have even met a couple in person who I considered disturbed. I've also met CDers who were so conflicted about their urges that I know they were in a state of psychological turmoil, although I would stop short of thinking of them as ill. The vast majority of us are definitely NOT ill, we just don't conform to arbitrary cultural "norms". Care must be taken, however, to guard against feelings of isolation, depression and guilt while coping with society's constraints and biases.

A local crossdresser in my area just died recently that was schizophrenic. He was my age and I knew him quite well. Throughout the 70s-90s he used to walk all over town dressed in different outfits which made him kind of a legend around town.

Anyway, I don't think CDing had anything to do with his mental health.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    "Is dressing up as a women make you not normal and mental ill? "

First of all, a man dressing as a woman is not considered "normal" because the majority of men do not wear women's clothes.
    Defining normal through the use of statistics (by using the mode of the set, in this case) is a fools errand. In fact, there is a normal distribution of gender identities in a given population. We can quibble about measurement, sample size, etc., but there is no denying that there is a normal variation. Normal.
    Why am I being so pedantic about the term? Because there is a difference between "normal" and "usual", or more importantly, between abnormal and unusual. "Abnormal" carries a heavy implication of defect. I will readily admit to being unusual, but would prefer to not be thought of as abnormal or defective, thank you very much.

Composing symphonies, running a four-minute mile, or formulating new scientific theories are not talents possessed by "average" or "typical" people either. Yet we admire and memorialize these accomplishments, and we wouldn't consider Beethoven, Bannister or Einstein to be mentally ill by any usual definition. Gender variance is just another of those things that sets some people apart from the rest of humanity, and there's no reason to fear or denigrate it -- perhaps it should be celebrated and rewarded.

Everyone I know, love, spend time with and care about is unique and different from the statistical mean in some important ways. Life would be very boring if everyone around us were average.

- Diane

Well I'll admit I am slowly going crazy, but I don't blame it on CDing.

Aspiring Member
    Normal? Mentally ill? Well the only thing I can say is on this forum you're normal.

Definitions of normalcy vary over time and between different societies. What you are doing is not a social "norm" in that most men don't do it but it is not abnormal.
    I don't know where you live but if this is an issue that bothers you I suggest you try to find a good gender counsellor and discuss it with that person. In the meanwhile take a close look at the many posts on this site. i think that will make you feel as if you belong and are just normal.

On Fox News, you're crazy, on MSNBC, you're enlightened......Who's to say???
    I'd say play the hand that was dealt you, you're not going to win every game.
    For every Picasso you see on a wall, there were ten "fake" Picassos that were thrown down on the floor and jumped up and down on.
    Everybody's got problems, if yours are drowning you, get help. I saw my Doctor yesterday.

image hosting websites free

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    of course, it ALL depends on why. Some of us find it a sexual turn on---for various reasons. Usually something we discovered and get "addicted to". Some, Like me, find it a way to "Take a vacation from myself" and totally relax and unwind. others get a "High" from breaking social and personal "rules". I think it is simply discovering what is FUN and doing it--even if it is a bit "unconventional". Of course CD might be an ADJUNCT to a REAL "mental disorder"---Like actually identifying with someone else or "gender dysphoria" feeling that one is the "wrong Gender" biologically. and trying to "be" at some level, the opposite sex by dressing. But then again, Unless it causes REAL problems don't worry about it. "Mental Disorder", does not necessarily mean "something bad", only different.----No offence to any readers intended. If you do not like my comments talk to me about it

Wecome to the forum. You'll find a lot of great information here from any of the regular girls posting here. YOU ARE NORMAL NOT ILL. Many people never allow themselves to explore and get in touch with their inner feelings. FEEL and get in tough with those feelings. Explore them and enjoy the areas you like and avoild those feelings that you don't. have fun and don't be afraid to ask questions openly or privately. You'll enjoy this site. have fun and good luck. Again, welcome to a safe place!

Tammy

Yes, you're nuts!
    Anyone who would ask a group of crossdressers if you're crazy because you crossdress has to be!
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

Normal...yes definitely normal...yes definitely normal...repeat after me.