Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The gender of clothing

The gender of clothing

I know that tradition and social acceptance defines that skirts and dresses are for women. At some point women decided they could wear pants and by doing so took some part of the male dominated world with it. It’s totally acceptable for women to wear men’s clothing. But it’s still seen as taboo for men to wear women’s clothing. Arguably because it’s seen as giving up power and taking a lesser role, which is wrong.

It’s never too early for New Years resolutions so. Once a month in 2018 I will wear “women’s” clothes the whole day, inside my house and outside in public in an effort to help normalize the fact that it doesn’t matter what you wear. If you want to wear a dress, then wear a dress.

I know, big deal, once a month. Why not just all the time? As of right now it’s still considered an oddity. I’m not sure I have the energy to explain myself every day. So for now, baby steps. Wish me luck.
    Rebecca Bas

Sounds good.

If you dress everyday that becomes the new norm, even if it is only in your world.

The more and more people get to know you, the more it all becomes normal.

I went to Christmas dinner at my best friends parents last night. The family all know me. There was this new girl there, her daughters best friend. I sat next to her and talked to her as she didn't know anyone there. On the way home my best friend asked me if I told her that I'm TG. I said no it never came up, you don't think she knows, I'm flattered.

You don't need to explain yourself to everyone you meet.

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    Roman warriors built a vast empire while wearing what were effectively short skirts. Their ruling class wore long lengths of fabric in a style that we would associate far more with women than with men - as did the Ancient Greeks. Various Slavic national costumes included man-skirts, and we all know about Scotland, where the tradition is still firmly entrenched. In many parts of Asia men wear sarongs, and so does David Beckham from time to time - so do I for that matter. In Africa various tribes wear 'skirts', or long lengths of fabric wound around themselves, in bright colours- they wear jewellery and necklaces too.

Then there's the Western world, which prides itself so strongly on its liberality and sophistication; it's modernity, it's cosmopolitanism, and regards itself as a more evolved section of humanity, presumably because we don't wear skirts and we've got more mobile phones than them and a wide selection of ready-meals.

Somewhere we got our wires crossed, didn't we?

Anybody got any idea what went wrong?
    I used to have a short attention spa

Platinum Member
    It’s certainly a statement to set one day aside each month. I hope you also take enjoyment from the experience!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Heisthebride View Post
    At some point women decided they could wear pants and by doing so took some part of the male dominated world with it. It’s totally acceptable for women to wear men’s clothing.
    And, by the way, they were beaten, imprisoned and murdered for doing it, so in fact they fought for the right to wear "men's" clothes. Just sayin...
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Most women do NOT wear make clothes. Just because they wear pants or button down shirts, those are still cut FOR WOMEN and are not men’s clothes. It’s a false equivalency that crops up here from time to time on these forums.

There were no pants made for women - not that long ago. I watched a "gay in Hollywood" documentary on youtube the other day. There were actresses in the 30s that had the nerve to wear men's pants. It was pretty much taboo at that time as women only wore skirts and dresses. So maybe in 25-50 years crossdressing will on the same level as women wearing pants today.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Today it seems a rarity to see any women wearing skirts or dresses. In fact today I'm wearing pants, woman's pants. So even when a woman wears a dress it looks unusual and some people notice. Good luck on your resolution.
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

Thank you Pat, Micki Finn & Ressie. You are the voices of reason of a topic that is a pet peeve of mine. Women usually do not wear "men's" clothes. They wear clothes made for women, cut for women, and the fashion norm for women. (There are exceptions where women do buy clothes in the men's department for whatever reason). Women who wear pants/jeans typically do not run around trying to make the outside world think they are men. They do not want people to call them "a man and/or sir". It is irritating to hear men try to justify their CDing by saying "women wear men's clothes". Just own up to the fact that you like to wear dresses/skirts.

Obviously there are CD/Transwomen but that is a different story does not seem to be what the OP was talking about.
    Last edited by char GG; 12-26-2017 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by char GG View Post
    Thank you Pat, Micki Finn & Ressie. You are the voices of reason of a topic that is a pet peeve of mine. Women usually do not wear "men's" clothes. They wear clothes made for women, cut for women, and the fashion norm for women. (There are exceptions where women do buy clothes in the men's department for whatever reason). Women who wear pants/jeans typically do not run around trying to make the outside world think they are men. They do not want people to call them "a man and/or sir". It is irritating to hear men try to justify their CDing by saying "women wear men's clothes". Just own up to the fact that you like to wear dresses/skirts.

Obviously there are CD/Transwomen but that is a different story does not seem to be what the OP was talking about.
    I don’t think I’m trying to justify anything, I do admit that I like to wear skirts and dresses. Historically, pants were not women’s wear and over the years they have become a norm and fit specifically for women. My point is why should there be men’s wear and women’s wear. In my perfect world I would be able to wear skirts and not have to fully crossdress, makeup, etc.
    Rebecca Bas

Aviatrix in Waiting Melanie Moxon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Micki_Finn View Post
    Most women do NOT wear make clothes. Just because they wear pants or button down shirts, those are still cut FOR WOMEN and are not men’s clothes. It’s a false equivalency that crops up here from time to time on these forums.
    Indeed. There are physical differences (that we are all aware of) between the physique of men and women, therefore there are such things and mens and womens clothes as they are cut to fit different body shapes.

I'm certainly not the dressy type (I'm not saying that my wardrobe will not gain a number of dresses, though they would be reserved for situations where they are required, much as my sole suit is now) the rest of the time I'll be found in jeans, teamed with some sort of womens footwear (boots or flats) and top of some description.

For those that watch the NCIS series, think along the lines of the female agents in that, Agent Gregorio especially

There is men’s wear and women’s wear because our bodies are fundamentally different. Would you be ok they decided to take your advice and make the clothes for both genders the same but settled on suits and ties as the standard? What you’re really bemoaning is the fact that you feel society doesn’t allow you to dress in the way you want to dress. The clothes themselves have nothing to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Micki_Finn View Post
    There is men’s wear and women’s wear because our bodies are fundamentally different. Would you be ok they decided to take your advice and make the clothes for both genders the same but settled on suits and ties as the standard? What you’re really bemoaning is the fact that you feel society doesn’t allow you to dress in the way you want to dress. The clothes themselves have nothing to do with it.
    That is spot on correct, I have no issue with different cuts for different shapes. I would like to wear comfortable jeans one day, a nice skirt and T-shirt another, a suit out to a nice dinner and a full on dressed to the nines cocktail dress, heels and makeup to a party.
    Rebecca Bas

A woman can go into the Men's section, buy a shirt or bottoms for her personal use and wear it as she pleases. No one bats an eye, and it's accepted. Yet when a man does it, it's taboo and not highly accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean 103 View Post
    If you dress everyday that becomes the new norm, even if it is only in your world. The more and more people get to know you, the more it all becomes normal.
    Not necessarily. To most, we will then simply always be referred to as 'the transvestite' that they see every day. We won't be considered 'normal' to them. To ourselves, it will feel and seem normal. Not to others, because to them, seeing and interacting with a man crossdressed as a woman will still be felt as unusual, much the same way as if they knew a man who always had a squirrel monkey sitting on his head: He would never be considered normal; only that seeing him in such a state, would be a common occurance.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Silver Member
    Yes there are clothes that women wear that are men's. Many restaurants have waitresses wear men's dress shirts. Many souvenir T-shirts are men's yet we see women wearing them. In all these situations the women don't acquire the piece of clothing for the satisfaction of wearing "men's" clothing.

I would LOVE the chance to wear skirts in public and it be acceptable. Nothing above mid thigh (but I do have the legs) though....Kilt length maybe would be socially acceptable vs shorter. i do wear woman's 4" shorts in public (again the whole legs brag earlier...sorry) and as a avid cyclist now living and riding in Boulder, Colorado, I can get away with smooth legs and arms so the shorter shorts just are a step closer to a skirt.

I am noticing more guys wearing running tights with their knee length shorts in a lot of places including at the stores around. if we all close our eyes really tight and say every day, today is the day skirts are accepted for men, maybe it will happen from positive thinking. Until that time, i'll just keep wearing my skirts on the drive home and when I work from home. Full dress those days!

bi for now
    kp
    bi for now

Kathie Pantyhose
    Any day in pantyhose is a great day

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Wear whatever you wish and who cares what others think and what they will say?
    I haven't worn men's clothes for 10 years and its OK no body cares really.
    It looks like you are the one with the problem with wearing womens clothes. The rest of the world could care less.
    I have seen guys in skirts a few times in the last year and they really didn't cause a stir among people around them.
    Women that wear pants are not wearing men's clothes they are womens pants OK its not the 1950's anymore.
    That whole argument that women can wear men's clothes but men can't wear women's clothes does not not hold water so please lets not beat that dead horse.

I used to think ik would be great if society "allowed" men to wear anything they liked but lately I am having this nagging suspicion that I like the clothes that I like BECAUSE they are for women. Maybe I kind of need there to be a boundary so I can cross it.
    Of course there were/are many cultures where men wear things we would call a skirt but those cultures have their own, often very strict, gender norms when it comes to clothing. Roman society was not unisex paradise.

Oh to be an English Rose Jane G's Avatar
    Good on you girl. I may never have the strength to follow your lead, but the effort is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by tbryant2k16 View Post
    A woman can go into the Men's section, buy a shirt or bottoms for her personal use and wear it as she pleases. No one bats an eye, and it's accepted.
    You should try reading some of the essays written by Female-to-Male folks about the wild paranoia they feel when they go into the men's section to buy clothing. It reads exactly the same as the wild paranoia that you find in posts here when Male-to-Female go buying women's clothes. The same "will they know it's for me?" questions, the same fear of discovery and shame.

Quote Originally Posted by lingerieLiz View Post
    Yes there are clothes that women wear that are men's. Many restaurants have waitresses wear men's dress shirts. Many souvenir T-shirts are men's yet we see women wearing them.
    Interesting viewpoint. The clothing is only available in one cut -- why do you assume that it's men's?

When I was in the Army (long ago) I wore fatigues or flying suits every day. They looked exactly like the fatigues and flying suits that the women wore -- were the women wearing men's uniforms? Or were we just all wearing the same uniform (a uniform uniform, if you will) in whatever size was appropriate?
    Last edited by Pat; 12-27-2017 at 09:16 AM.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

@heisthebride
    Historically, pants were not women’s wear and over the years they have become a norm and fit specifically for women. My point is why should there be men’s wear and women’s wear.
    History goes back a long time. Throughout history, men and women have worn different styles of clothing. The norm in this decade is that women wear pants, specifically fitted for women. There were countries, not that long ago where men and women wore the same thing (think the look of hospital scrubs). There are also countries currently where men and women wear clothes that look like robes. Since you live in the USA, I assume you are talking about the USA in 2017. So you want to wear skirts, makeup, etc. wear them. Just own it. Don't try to justify it by saying that women who wear pants are CDing.

MOST women in pants are not trying to pass as men. They are happy being women in pants. When you wear skirts & makeup, are you trying to pass as a woman? Are you happy just being a man in a dress?

Thank you Traci G:
    That whole argument that women can wear men's clothes but men can't wear women's clothes does not not hold water so please lets not beat that dead horse.
    By the way, have you seen some of the current fashions that designers are trying to sell specifically made for men? Shorts of many colors combined with suit jackets, skirts paired with multi-colored jackets & ties, etc. My husband says he wouldn't be caught dead in them and frankly, neither would I! Men should make their wishes known to the people who design clothes for men. If skirts were commonplace for men, would you like them as well? Or is the attraction to women's clothes because you just want to wear clothes made for the opposite gender. And as for makeup, I'm seen more and more young men wearing makeup with their guy clothes.
    Last edited by char GG; 12-27-2017 at 10:39 AM.

Not too long ago men didn't have long hair or wear ear rings either....

The typical straight male grows up in a very confined box in terms of clothing and appearance. We're extremely conformist and much of our clothing is designed NOT to stand out. But with that anonymity comes a sense of comfort.

The reality is that we're really free to wear whatever we want. Acceptance isn't an issue, but you have to be prepared to go out of your comfort zone. Women do this all of the time. They have infinitely more options on their appearance, but also much more evaluation and judgement for the choices they make. Not to mention the time and cost that goes into their whole presentation.

I firmly believe that our limitations are in our own head. It takes confidence, but there's no reason why you can't wear a skirt outside on your free time. I've traveled to countless places en femme, and it's really not a big deal. But you have to own it.

Just do it already! DaisyLawrence's Avatar
    Eva makes a good point about limitations being in our own head.

My wife generally wears what many are describing here as 'mens' clothes (although from the womenswear department). She does it for comfort, practicality and ease. The difference is, that when dressed say in jeans and a jumper like many men, she is still presenting as female. She too loves to get dressed up once in a while but she also suffers from worry that people will not like her outfit and will criticise it if not perfect.
    As generally only women wear dresses, if a man wears one he is no longer presenting as male. If he passes as female there is NO lack of acceptance, he is just another woman out and about. If he does not pass there is the conflict in peoples minds. However, any bloke in the western world is free to wear anything they like anytime as long as it passes any local laws on decency. Whether or not any one person does not like it is irrelavant. I see many people everday, without any gender non-comforming clothing, who I think look a blooming mess for one reason or another and I wish they had stayed home so as to improve the quality of my visual experience! I may even stare and comment behind their backs but I have a right to object to anything I do not like and they have the right to object to me. Lets just keep our objections to ourselves is all I suggest.