Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Trigger in Adulthood?

A Trigger in Adulthood?

My experience is probably not unusual: I remember trying on my mother's underwear two or three times when I was 8 or 9 (once, memorably, almost getting caught!), and dreaming about wearing the school uniform for girls (a cute plaid jumper!). But I really didn't dress until adulthood.

What triggered it for me? About 20 years ago, my wife urged me to put on some make up. (Actually, she had prodded me once before to do it, but I'd said no.) This time, I put on mascara, eye shadow and lipstick -- and it set off a flood of emotions and desire that has never really stopped. From that night on, I've worn panties regularly and other pieces of clothing with varying frequency.

Has anyone else had a trigger in adulthood that set off some dormant desires?

Moving to a new area and living on my own. Left with my own thoughts the inclination returned. Previous to that adolescence, living on my own for the first time, and occasional fetish urges.

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    in the early 90's I dressed up as a woman for Halloween, after that I was hooked.

Just do it already! DaisyLawrence's Avatar
    No trigger in adulthood for me but your story is fab. To be 'triggered' into crossdressing by your wife! I love that. Must be about as far removed from a DADT situation as it is possible to get. Maybe should have listened to your wife the first time? To your wife: I salute you.

For me it was as an older adult. Wife and I were on a trip and I ran out of clean whitey tighties and she said here and gave me a pair of her silky panties. Girl did they feel wonderful. After finishing the trip wearing panties I've never looked back. Gee I wonder what it would feel like to wear a bra, a camisole, panty hose , etc, etc, etc. Funny thing was I wore panties with my wife's knowledge it was years before I came out to her totally a little over a year ago. There is a story why my wife thought panties were OK but that to long for this post. That trip was one time I was glad I didn't pack enough clotha. LOL

I'm not sure what the triggers were but during adulthood my crossdressing has gone dormant for long periods only to come back stronger than ever each time.

Hi Billie, sounds very familiar to me, always liked the ladies options, but went for years where never crossed my mind to try until some years ago that triggered the idea and I've been addicted ever since
    OMG!! Owning my femininity .... and I LOVE it!

Just watching my wife applying her makeup triggers my inner feelings that I need to dress. The lipsticks she uses gets me started wanting the feel n my lips also.

Same here, it was a bra that was my fetish, and did it feel a sensation thru the whole body.

This was my first female thing to bye, and then garter belt and nylons. had the nicest sensation ever.
    Wanting something is a fantasy which on a long time period clouds your mind and makes you think you need it.

Rayleen

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Never ever thot about ladies things until my 50's. It came rite out of left field! I thot I had become gay!

So, I'm not gay, but my life will never be what it was before I fell down the "dressing" rabbit hole!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Your youth experiences show you were typical CDer, but your environent was not conducive to acting on it. You did say "I really didn't dress". Did you think about it often? Dress a little bit on occasion? I think it is more of a change of life situation where the focus moves from others (children / wife) who now need you less, to then focus on your own needs and desires. And having the wife be a willing participant makes it so guilt free.
    Hugs, Ellen

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    You can't just leave it there Billie! What made your wife make her request? How did she react or behave when you accepted her invitation? How does she feel about what she triggered?

We. Want. More.
    I used to have a short attention spa

The urge to dress has never abated for me. Since retiring, though, I do find more time to indulge.

Like Elizabeth, my urges have come and gone (and changed) over the years with no logical explanation. She left me for almost 4 years and then suddenly she came back, no reason for either.
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

Platinum Member
    Oddly, it seems that the combination of worry, loneliness and boredom all played a hand.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

The scientists who have studied this behavior have pretty well settled in with an explanation that far more often than not this behavior is a genetic predisposition. In other words, the predisposition is not expressed unless there is something that triggers it. We all have various predispositions built into us. Whether we are right or left handed is actually a predisposition that is activated when we are a baby just learning to grasp things. If right handed you may not be able to do much with your left hand, but if you lose your right hand then the brain transfers as much as possible over to the left hand because of the predisposition nature of handedness.

Thus, with a predisposition such as identifying with the feminine gender when male or masculine when female may take many, many years before something happens that actually activates it and it becomes a disposition. Once activated, situations we encounter are dealt with in accordance with what we perceive to be the proper mode. Thus, it can come and go and be expressed in many different ways, but once activated apparently the brain just flips back and forth in different modes that are perceived as appropriate for the situation. But in some, the "alternate" mode becomes so dominant that transitioning becomes the solution that produces the best comfort and that, according to this explanation, is the source of transexuals.

In the science, it is all thought to be the same process coming from the same source which is a complex of genes that operate together to result in this behavior pattern as being normal in that person; as normal as being right or left handed. At least that is what the current thinking is regarding the cause of this phenomenon we are a part of. There is a great deal of evidence in support of this including identified genetic markers, brain structures and various morphological and anatomical features we have that are indicative of the deeper predisposition that has genetic roots. But it is still a predisposition and therefore variable in its expression. Thus, essentially every description that has been provided to this point in this thread can easily be fitted into the predisposition model. Each person is normal for them and the way things are supposed to work in them as a result of having an activated predisposition to behave this way.

It sure works for me and I am very well educated in the sciences and before retiring, I worked in science for over 40 years. But it has brought a great deal of comfort and confidence to me to know where this probably came from and that there is real scientific evidence to support it and not just conjectures with little verifiable evidence. The struggle, for each of us, is the matter of exactly how do we live with it in the context of the culture we live in? Unfortunately, the science doesn't tell us how to do that. We have to discover that for ourselves. And that, I think, is why forums like this exist and are so useful to many of us.

Quote Originally Posted by BillieS View Post
    Has anyone else had a trigger in adulthood that set off some dormant desires?
    Then doc's experience:
    Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    Never ever thot about ladies things until my 50's. It came rite out of left field! So, I'm not gay, but my life will never be what it was before I fell down the "dressing" rabbit hole!
    The simple answer is, we don't know. As nearly all of us grew up in environments where we were inclined to feel that being feminine was the worst possible thing we could be, it would be no surprise at all if many of us simply repressed any idea of behaving or dressing fem, sometimes for decades, or even for life.

We see this in plenty of people who have experienced negative things (physical and/or psychological traumas especially), which they aren't able to resolve into their current life.
    Doc doesn't remember any such event. Doesn't mean that it didn't happen. We'll never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by GretchenM View Post
    The scientists who have studied this behavior have pretty well settled in with an explanation that far more often than not this behavior is a genetic predisposition.
    Uh, not exactly. That explanation is what is currently the most politically correct, so that's what we're seeing, same as what we have for explanations for why people are gay. It's become the standard answer, all in order to avoid blaming anyone for what most would consider their terribly 'deviant' sexuality. Heaven forbid that we might find another cause that we can blame it all on. It will only become more clear when all the homophobia is out of the picture. Because right now, parents can't stand the idea that they might be responsible for their child being gay or TS (or CD). So those in charge of telling them what the cause is, simply tell them what they want to hear: 'It's not your fault', as if something terrible had happened. Only when we get past that will we be able to look more openly at what goes on in our minds.

I'm an example of how experiences in life can cause all sorts of turmoil. I was not a gay or crossdressing child. It started when someone planted in my mind the idea that I was supposed to be a girl, and that I should embrace it and learn to be one. So I wound up looking for other signs that it might be true. And when you look for things, you're more inclined to find them, even if they aren't there.
    By the time I was in high school, I often wanted to dress up as a girl, behave like a girl, and even have sex like a girl. That included anal intercourse. So, someone might just assume that I was gay. Or trans. But there were a few wrinkles that weren't being seen. I had grown up starved of affection; my only source? The guy who was having sex with me, when I was dressed and behaving like a girl. So there's a mechanism going on to support all the not exactly normal behavior, and until that is recognized, the normal gay/ts assumptions will be seen to be correct, as it would appear that I was 'triggered' into my 'dormant' aberrant genetically predisposed sexual feelings
    at ages past my early childhood. But a problem with that is, I don't have any desire for any intimate contact with a male, the idea of kissing a man I find repulsive. I don't find men romantically interesting or attractive, and even though I desire it, I don't like or enjoy anything stuck up my butt. It's all caused by the desire for affection, and it's stuck in my brain that dressing and behaving like a girl will get that for me. Even though I know what's causing this feeling, that doesn't stop me from feeling it.

And it never goes away; exactly why, we still don't know. My own hypothesis is that certain things in our personality become permanent at certain stages of our brain's development. The best known example of something like that is language accents; if you learn a new language as a child, you won't have an accent. If you learn it past puberty, you almost certainly will. Why? The part of the brain where the speech center is, well, 'finalizes' during those years, much like a burned compact disc or DVD finalizes and after which can no longer be written to. Sexuality may just work the same. But as we're not allowed to experiment on human beings, there's really no way to be sure. And because so many people repress thoughts that they cannot accept, the actual onset of homosexual/transsexual/crossdressing feelings will probably not be pinpointed for most of us who feel these things.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Silver Member
    Why did you wife urge you to put makeup on?

The trigger for me got pulled when I was eleven, I went to a party dressed as a girl and the other girls there thought I looked fabulous.

It was really fun playing with he girls.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Aspiring Member
    blame it on "harp" radio waves ( wonder how many hundreds of thousands in studies the gov paid on that ) radio waves are everywhere but certainly more prevalent now. So whos got data on radio wave wattage /meter vs incident of crossdressing

I do remember some of the early early days of crossdressing but I just feel that was experimentation but it sure felt wonderful.

While looking back on my childhood, there was obvious femininity, just looking at pictures and thinking of how I felt. But the idea of me dressing as a female never entered into my mind. Or the thought I was different than other boys my age. Then.... at the age of 17, I had snuck into a bar (age was 18 at the time) and I had noticed a female college student that for whatever reason I felt drawn to. I was physically attracted to her and decided to go stand next to her at the bar and maybe talk to her. What happened when I got there though was a 10 on the ricter scale for me as rather than wanting to be with her, I suddenly and explainable for no better term wanted to BE her. Scared of what I was feeling probably isn't a strong enough word. Horrified? nope, still no where near what I was feeling, by feeling I wanted to BE her. Well, I had had several beers, so I decided I had had too much and went home. For a few weeks I thought maybe that was it, just too much to drink and got my normal feelings a little jumbled. But then it started to happen again and again. Not when I was drinking. That set off a life of denial, repression, the attempt at purging this femininity from my soul. Never was I successful in doing so. After roughly 30 years I finally waved the white flag and surrendered to it.
    Chickens should be allowed to cross the road without having their motives questioned

I had dabbled a bit in my younger days, mom's clothing when I was very young, and in my teens I had some undies but I stopped because life got in the way.

My wife bought me a pair of high heels, as a joke. She told me that if I liked them so much that I should wear them. I did, and liked it. Of course I needed pantyhose, then undies and down the slippery slope I slid.

She about freaked out and told me it no girlie stuff or she was gone, so I gave in. After some time she sat me down and we had a long talk and she was ok with me buying some shoes and clothing as long as I keep her informed. We since have "enjoyed" dressing in naughty bits together.

The other day I repaired our toilet and some other chores wearing black, leather over the knee boots with stiletto heels while she was messing up the kitchen.

I'm not sure exactly what triggered it for me but my first experience of seeing someone none cis was in this scene. I really enjoyed some aspect of it and was fascinated by transgederism and tranvestites from then on. Even though it was supposed to be a comedic scene I was fascinated with the idea of looking so pretty but still having male parts.

Other early experiences was the panto dames. I really liked the over the top thrills and ridiculous amount of make-up and used to fantasise about playing one of those parts.

Hi Vickie and Nikki. As it turned out, my wife is into my CDing (although not totally as much as me!).

Speaking of hitting lulls, as Becky alluded to, my wife also pulled me out of one a few years ago. I’d cut way back because my parents had been living with us. After they passed, she got me a kilt and nudged me to go out in it.

Not total CDing, but that got me going again.

We are a good match for many reasons, but the shared CDing interest was great fortune for me.