Thread: Facebook adverts

Facebook adverts

I have noticed for some time that adverts appear on my FB Home page for companies that I have purchased femme products from.
    I discovered today that my SO's granddaughter 'liked' some false eyelashes being advertised.
    Could she have connected these with me? I hope not!

It is amazing how much Facebook knows and how little we know about how much they know.

Banned Read only
    It's not just Facebook. My family has bought different items from JCPenny in person and on line. Since my email account is linked to JCPenny I get ads for male garb, children's toddler clothing, fem garb. And, the fem garb is not just genetic plain stuff, but, clothing for tall women since I have bought dresses for tall women from JCP. I get similar ads for Macy's. Ebay is another filling up my email account based on prior purchases and items I have looked at. Frankly, if you have anyone looking over your should while surfing the net and they have noticed the same with their emails and ads, it does not take a rocket scientist to figure it out. Fortunately, I use an ad blocker so nothing appears on the screen when I am just blissfully surfing.

Virtually all of my online ads are for skirts, dresses and bras. Maybe if I stopped clicking on them ...

But then it's all stuff that I really need!

Banned Read only
    Use an ad blocker. I forget FB even has ads, until I see one of these posts.

One of the reasons Not to have a femme FB page IF you use a Shared Computer!! Chances of being outed increase. Don't have one myself--less chance for potential employers or others finding it. Toni G..

Silver Member
    I'm lucky in that my wife knows I CD and only wear women's clothes. The other day she told me the panties I usually wear were on sale. No one else usually sees our computers so I don't care. Tracking has increased to the point that I get frustrated when i bought a top on line. I kept getting notices to buy the same top. Damn, if you know who I am and what I looked at please quit sending me adds for it after I purchased it. Tj Max is one of the worst. I looked at a nightgown on their site. The only one was a size small. Most everyday I get an email to take a look as though they have more in stock. They don't have but for the one nightgown. Same with shoes. If I can't wear a 6 on Wednesday why do you think I can wear a 6 on friday.
    Last edited by lingerieLiz; 01-04-2018 at 11:23 PM.

joanne51.. All websites track where you bought from Cookies . I use FireFox Browser and use Private Page when browsing.

Just clear your History and it will get rid of the Ads..

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Don't worry about it and if she says something just say you didn't notice the ads because you never pay attention to them.
    If you don't make a big deal about it there won't be one.
    Now if you try and come up with a long drawn out excuse for them being there she will know you are lying.

I don't mind the ads as long as they only show up on my home computer and not at work, but the algorithms used to decide what to show me still need some work. I get lots and lots of ads for things I've already bought - clothes, shoes, jewelry, wigs, as well as drab stuff like tools and audio-visual equipment. Well, duh, I ALREADY BOUGHT THAT! With rare exceptions, I won't be in the market for the same item again soon. They need to work on doing a better job of showing me WHAT I MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN NEXT TIME instead. (To their credit, Nine West and White House Black Market are pretty good at suggesting items inspired by my purchases that I might want to look at.)

- Diane

Gold Member
    When possible, it is best to buy things in person with cash.
    But of course if you look up something on the web, yeah FB is gonna have it's fat nosey ass there digging for info.
    Of course FB also assumes everyone on the planet knows each other.

The GOOD part of this is one can always brush it off since FB will post ads for just about anything.

AND here is something that is only 1/2 joking -
    https://www.theonion.com/woman-stalk...ert-1819578313
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Every now and then I search Ebay and Amazon for some completely random crap just to muddy the waters; so if my wife asks why I have adverts for skirts I can reply "I don't know. Why do I have adverts for snow machines and food blenders?"

I doubt she will make the connection, I have to get rid of those sex toy ads that appeared after I made a search for six meter tape measures.

Yeah! I know, no one believes me!!!!!! :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Read only
    https://adblockplus.org/

Problem solved.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I run adblockplus as well.

I've installed Adblockplus. Seems to work (haven't had a chance to properly read up on it).
    Thanks ladies.

One of the reasons I stay away from social media sites is limiting advertising and privacy violations. I am on LinkedIn for professional reasons only.

When I'm shopping online, I'm in the habit of using private browsing windows to limit accumulation of cookies and eliminate behaviour based advertising. I also clear all cookies periodically.

I have reason to believe that Amazon uses the network adapter MAC address or some other electronic signature. Clearing cookies doesn't work with that site.

I found this a while back on the internet, and just had to share because it's so appropriate for this thread:

The FUTURE - Ordering Pizza

Be aware -- someone may be watching you!

GOOGLE: Hello, it's Google Pizza.

CALLER: I must have dialed a wrong number. Sorry.

GOOGLE: No sir, Google bought Gordon’s Pizza last month.

CALLER: OK. I would like to order a pizza.

GOOGLE: Do you want your usual, sir?

CALLER: My usual? You know me?

GOOGLE: According to our caller ID data sheet, the last 12 times you called you ordered an extra-large pizza with three cheeses, sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms and meatballs on a thick crust.

CALLER: OK! That’s what I want.

GOOGLE: May I suggest that this time you order a pizza with ricotta, arugula, sun-dried tomatoes and olives on a whole wheat gluten free thin crust?

CALLER: What? I detest vegetables.

GOOGLE: Your cholesterol is not good, sir.

CALLER: How the hell do you know?

GOOGLE: Well, we cross-referenced your home phone number with your medical records. We have the result of your blood tests for the last 7 years.

CALLER: Okay, but I do not want your rotten vegetable pizza! I already take medication for my cholesterol.

GOOGLE: Excuse me sir, but you have not taken your medication regularly.

According to our database, you only purchased a box of 30 cholesterol tablets once, at Drug RX Network, 4 months ago.

CALLER: I bought more from another drugstore.

GOOGLE: That doesn’t show on your credit card statement.

CALLER: I paid in cash..

GOOGLE: But you did not withdraw enough cash according to your bank statement.

CALLER: I have other sources of cash.

GOOGLE: That doesn’t show on your last tax return unless you bought them using an undeclared income source, which is against the law.

CALLER: WHAT THE HELL?

GOOGLE: I'm sorry, sir, we use such information only with the sole intention of helping you.

CALLER: Enough already! I'm sick to death of Google, Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp and all the others. I'm going to an island without internet, cable TV, where there is no cell phone service and no one to watch me or spy on me.

GOOGLE: I understand sir, but you need to renew your passport first. It expired 6 weeks ago.
    "You are who you are, that's all right with me,
    But I am who I am, that's all I can be."
    -Trace Atkins, "Rough and Ready"
    ===========================================
    Just call me Kaylie

Joanne,

Ah, one of the lessons of FB and social media.
    I don't think your granddaughter connect your dots, but it is an important lesson about the algorithms used to make social media pay for itself.
    I too was getting a deluge of femme ads all over my [Guy Mode] FB page. It got worse when I started to "LIKE" and follow trans people and pages like Kristin Beck (the trans Navy SEAL). There were all kinds of ads, "out of character" ads and sites popping up on the same FB page I used to link with my military buddies, etc.

It was one of the reasons I built an entirely new and separate FB page for Ilene. And let me tell you, it was still NOT easy to do and de-link myself from my guy self. The algorithms and the means of registering a new identity will continue to suggest "friends" across the barrier that are common with a second "guy" identity. I couldn't use any of my old email addresses or phone number. The computer knows who those are. I had to create another email and internet identity just to build the new FB page.
    Even then, and after all the detail of separating the new FB page from the old, I got a call from someone giving me a heads up and asking if I knew this girl "Ilene" that showed up on a list of suggested friends.

I'm kind of at the point now where I frankly don't care if more people find out. The way my own identity situation is evolving, and coming to the realization that my dressing is deeper than CD, the news will eventually spill out. As I assume more of my Ilene face, all will be revealed. If someone discovers me on a FB, I think I am generally ready to stand up and embrace it.
    There resides within me a Woman, and she is powerful.
    She has been my Grace and Bearing on the stormiest seas.
    I could no more deny Her than I would my own soul.

I do private browsing whenever I do anything. If going to FB or anyplace else. I do have a separate email just for Joyce. I've also considering a reloadable credit card for purchases.