Thread: New therapist

New therapist

I have just started seeing a new therapist, not strictly for gender issues but that's certainly part of it. (This is more or less a follow-up to the "Face to face counseling" post from a couple of days ago.) Briefly, I'm going through Major Life Passages that include our only son going off to college, my turning 50, the possible dissolution of my 22-year marriage, and a general desire and determination to incorporate my femininity into my life in a more full and holistic way.
    I wrote her, the therapist, a fairly long email before our first meeting to get some of the preliminaries out of the way--professional bio, a rundown of my complicated marriage, my goals for therapy, etc. I told her "I'm gender-fluid, which in my case means I'm a crossdresser."
    Now, I live in a progressive West Coast enclave so there was no question as to whether she'd be accepting. But still my palms got a bit sweaty before I hit send, just as they do before I see someone for the first time when i'm dressed as a woman.
    For our first meeting I thought "Well, I might as well back up my words." I wore an oversized woman's pullover, above-the-ankle leggings, flats, my bob curled and back in a headband, and light makeup. Plus a bra and my falsies.
    She could not have been more gracious. This was a free, half-hour get-acquainted session. She'd told me earlier that her practice is full but she would put me on the waiting list. In this session she said, "I will make a place for you." So we're starting every 2 weeks next Friday and I'm excited to begin a new phase of self-discovery. As I told her, "My femininity expresses itself mostly in my appearance. I want to express it more in my personality, in my relations with others, especially my wife, and in the way I am in the world."
    I think she would have made a spot for me whether I was a crossdresser or not. But there's no question in my mind that my being gender-fluid played a role in her desire to work with me. For those of you considering therapy, please do it -- it's a virtual necessity for people on our part of the gender spectrum. And as to whether you should tell your therapist you're a CDer, the answer is "Absolutely." Otherwise you are defeating the purpose.
    I will keep you all posted on my therapy, my marriage, and my feminine journey. Thanks so much for reading.
    Kind regards, TT

Hi Tracy,

Thanks for your post. I too have found therapy to be very beneficial and couldn't sheet more. Please keep us posted and I wish you well.

Elizabeth

Tracy,

Thank you for sharing and having gone thru a similar situation when I turned 50 although getting perhaps to a different outcome I appreciate your willingness to bring us along. I remember my first two sessions were as Jane Doe, it is so helpful to have an understanding therapist. Best wishes along the journey.

You sound as if things are heading in a positive direction Tracy, and I hope they continue that way. I talk with therapists weekly and just being able to talk freely can be a nice release, so I hope you can get that alone from your talks!

Stacy!
    STOP, Well I just dance the way I feel
    Stop breathing imagine none of this is real

Well I just dance the way I feel
    "Ou Est Le Swimming Pool"