Thread: The Body: Fashion and Physique, terrific exhibition in NYC

The Body: Fashion and Physique, terrific exhibition in NYC

Yesterday we went to an exhibition titled The Body: Fashion and Physique, at the Fashion Institute of Technology museum, 27th st at 7th avenue in Manhattan. It was a historical look at how our perceptions of the "ideal" female form has evolved over the past few hundred years, showing the clothes with their underpinnings: lots of terrific corsets, and some very informative placards and videos. It's on until May 2018, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone who shares an interest in female costume, whether or not you are into wearing it.

Of course I was fully en femme wearing my black-and-white dress with silver jewelry, bundled up against the bitter cold with two scarves boots and gloves. Most of the time my wig is warm enough but yesterday I was wishing for a big fur hat as well. Anyway we met two GG friends at the museum and afterward all went out together for Asian food, then the other two went off on their evening and my darling and I took ourselves to the movies.

So it got me wondering, FIT always has interesting exhibitions in their museum and galleries, we get there two or three times a year to take it all in, I've posted about these adventures before on this site. It got me wondering how many of you would not miss such an exhibition, whether in NYC or in your nearest big city, and whether you would go to it dressed en drab or all pretty? Or is historical costume and fashion theory too abstract to be of interest to you?

Platinum Member
    Its interesting of course, but from perhaps an unusual perspective. We often hear contrasts between this period's idealization of slim bodies, in contrast to the rubenesque forms common in art of the 18th and 19th centuries. While I have no problem with people finding more full figured women attractive, I would like to point out that the art and fashion of the time were celebrating the upper tier of society, and the hallmark of wealth was larger body mass. In men, the same was true. A prosperous gentleman could barely button his coat. Indeed, "prosperous fat" came to be fashionable. if you look at the formal pictures of less prosperous individuals in portraits of the 1800s, you'll see men wearing coats that are buttoned in the center in an effort to convey that portly appearance seen among the well to do.

But, if you look across the social spectrum, you'll see that most of the men and women of these centuries were terribly poor, terribly malnourished, and rather poorly clothed.

These days,its clearly less fashionable to be pretentiously dressed...other than perhaps on the red carpet. Starting back in the 60's, it became fashionable to be casual. Jaded jeans and t shirts became a fashion statement. This is still evident in fashion today - in distressed and cut jeans and slacks, and cold shoulder tops so prevalent.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I would love to attend those kind of events dressed, Jackie. But, I'm too nervous to visit vanilla venues like that in women's things.

U go girl! Have fun out there!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I do that regularly. I have a yearly "Senior" (as in age and related discount) membership to the De Young and Legion of Honor museums in San Francisco. A couple of years ago they had a wonderful exhibit on high fashion of the past by a specific famous designer (who at the moment I forget who it was). I saw dresses worn by many First Ladies (US President"s wives), famous stars and models. I always go to the museums en femme. It is actually one of the safest places to go out, be among other people (the public) and get some culture. I highly recommend doing that for our fist timers who are looking for places to go out.

Exactly right Allie, big-city art museums are wonderful venues for stepping out. Completely safe.

Museums maybe safe places to go but I say only museum in large cities are the only safe ones. Our small towns that have two rooms and a wall decorated with its history would definitely not be acceptable. The museum in town here is like I mentioned and I showed up dressed they might resort to town hangings again...
    I do love history though and enjoyed reading y'all's posts.

Jaylyn,

I would offer another option to your wording, "Some small town museums may not be safe."

Museums are a good place to go dressed, most come to look at the exhibits.

I love the Smithsonian as there are still interesting exhibits to look at, even if it is becoming school project orientated.

I admit the last couple of times there I have felt uncomfortable as the children are NOT looking at the exhibits. :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.