Thread: Crossdressing as a "Flow" experience. Yeah, more psychology.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake

Crossdressing as a "Flow" experience. Yeah, more psychology.

Have you heard of FLOW? It's a state of mind that has been studied for many years now and refers to a near total mental immersion into an activity. That focus can be seen in a loss of your sense of time, a high level of satisfaction, quality results and general happiness. It's been compared to the Zen state of “being here, now” where the practitioner is fully committed to what they are doing; chopping wood, carrying water, writing code, painting walls, fixing things, dancing, playing music, whatever. It is “Optimal Experience” and linked to a higher quality of life.

It is the fact that the Flow state results in pleasure, satisfaction and even happiness that attracted me to the 1990 book by University of Chicago psychologist Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi. It kind of came back to me recently as I attempted to explain why my crossdressing is so satisfying. It turns out it fits all the criteria for a flow experience. Consider the following quote from page 74 of the book.

“In our studies we found that every flow activity, whether it involved competition, chance, or any other dimension of experience, had this in common: It provided a sense of discovery, a creative feeling of transporting the person into a new reality. It pushed the person to higher levels of performance, and led to previously undreamed of states of consciousness. In short, it transformed the self by making it more complex. In this growth of the self lies the key to flow activities.”
    From “Flow, The Psychology of Optimal Experience”

So crossdressing hits on several positive notes including the validation of personality, resolution of gender identity conflict and the flow experience. What else do you have in your life that is so full of positive reinforcement? And is there any question now about why we come back again and again to the same activities?
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    Crossing a "Psychological boundary" or "tripping a personal 'Taboo'" without negative consequences ALSO produces such a "high" experience.--- Cross Dressing is a good example.

Banned Read only
    Sarah,
    I can relate to this idea with my painting , sometimes being so engrossed does make you lose the sense of time , being brought back to reality only because youv'e held a position for so long you have pins and needles or your foot has gone to sleep or you realise you desperately need to take a toilet break !

Combined with my CDing does really get me in the " Flow !"

Cycling and reloading do it for me in a BIG way.
    Jon

Or you could call it concentrating.

I have a problem with the over intellectualisation of the mundane. Taking part in sport, reading a book, in fact anything that requires concentration, can result in these feelings. It's part of being human. Yes crossdressing makes me feel good. So does finishing a Sudoku puzzle quickly.

I'm not going to raise my CD'ing to some zen like state. It's just me being me, a human enjoying what I do. I don't need a prof to stick a label on it to make it worthwhile and satisfying.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Silver Member Stephanie Julianna's Avatar
    I get this FLOW experience whenever I am out dressed and am accepted as my complete self. I get a similar feeling when I am driving one of my classic cars but not with the same feeling of completeness. I am hoping to change that this summer when I will try to make som kind of arrangement with help from friends in CT to actually drive my cars while dressed. I haven't figured out the logistics yet since the cars are so recognizable. But I am going to try. Do you think I will reach Nirvana?

I do it daily, but call it OCD
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

I agree with Helen. Today everyone wants to label everything. I remember when I was much younger and was obsessed with running I could get in what I called my zone. While I was in my zone I was unaware that I was running and come out of my zone miles from where I last remember. While in my zone it was euphoric and I hated when it ended. I just feel like me when I'm dressed.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I'm with Helen.
    Putting a fancy name on something we all do everyday seems counter productive.
    I need to come up with a fancy letter head or web site name that sounds scientific, call my self Dr G. and give fancy sounding names to common occurrences.

Something I have to do when acting a part in a play or movie.

Total immersion in the characters role.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    That's a lot the way I CD, Bev!

I guess I'm a good example of being a Flow dresser, Sarah? Talk about high levels of performance, increased consciousness, and entering new realities!?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Silver Member
    Sarah,

I don't know that I have quite the same level of concentration of CDING as say coding, but I found you post to be interesting, and something to consider.

I only have that experience playing the banjo...those moments when I'm not trying and it all comes together...when I stop playing the music and just listen.

Aspiring Member
    Interesting. Flow definitely happens for me in various activities. The most profound are motorcycling, fly fishing and bicycling. Meditation to be sure, and creating art when I get engaged.

Dressing? Hmm, need to ponder that. Seems I am always watching the clock....

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen_Highwater View Post
    Or you could call it concentrating.

I have a problem with the over intellectualisation of the mundane. Taking part in sport, reading a book, in fact anything that requires concentration, can result in these feelings. It's part of being human. Yes crossdressing makes me feel good. So does finishing a Sudoku puzzle quickly.

I'm not going to raise my CD'ing to some zen like state. It's just me being me, a human enjoying what I do. I don't need a prof to stick a label on it to make it worthwhile and satisfying.

I understand your point and my only intention is to better understand those things that make me happy. It's something that struck me as I was thinking of where time went while doing my makeup and picking outfits stage of getting ready. The intent of the book is to identify those things we naturally enjoy, then find ways to duplicate that kind of focus, concentration, appreciation, whatever, and apply it to those parts of life that don't naturally result in that same feeling of satisfaction. It's all too easy for me to feel happy and comfortable when I'm dressed and feeling authentic. If I can have the insight that helps me find that same kind of appreciation for those times when I can't, then I'm in a win-win. I'd prefer to be authentic, but when I can't be there I may as well be happy.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

For me, I have that feeling of “flow” when I’m swimming laps. I know that sounds too convenient, but I do get lost in the water with my feminine thoughts. I feel so sleek and graceful as I move through the water.

My swimming form and technique has always been very feminine, as most of the competitive swimmers i was around in my youth were females, so I quite naturally copied their stroke patterns. Where i lived, swimming was considered “unmanly” and not many parents encouraged their boys to pursue it. Because of its feminine nature, i was of course strongly drawn to it, lol!

I am completely shaved, and I wear wonderfully colored and patterned small bikinis, with red toenails and light pink fingernails, which very much enhances my feelings. Often there are traces of mascara and foundation and lipstick on the towel at the end of the lane while I’m there, as I periodically stop and wipe my face with the towel. The GG’s know what that is, but I actually think the males have no idea!

Nobody has ever said an unkind word to me at the pool about any of it. In fact, the GG’s there are very approving and have complemented me many times on my appearance. Like many of you here have experienced, I believe they are much more friendly and open with me because they do not find me threatening in the sense that the other, aggressive males potentially are to them.

I enjoy that acceptance and understanding from them, and it greatly contributes to my feelings of “flow” and harmony that I feel while there.

I’m sorry this got long!

~ brooke