Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Women don't wear that any more.

Women don't wear that any more.

We have all heard or read that statement but does it influence what you wear? For me it doesn't I wear what I want.

Since I am relatively new to women's fashion, I am not sure I would be able to tell when something is in that category. It is such a vast universe of newness that I am not sure I could tell what is old.

Also, being in the Midwest gives me the disadvantage of being a little behind the fashion forefront.

So for now I am like you, wearing what I want. However, my choices may change once I am more in tune with what is current. I can envision trying to have something up to date in my wardrobe eventually.

Sami
    My new blog: The Crossdresser Report
    https://crossdresserreport.com/

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    I constantly hear that 'women don't wear dresses anymore' and looking around that statement may have some truth. But there are still enough of them out there for me not to feel out of place when I go out in a dress. The only real decision I make with what I wear is if I like it or not, and nothing else.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    Same here, I wear what I enjoy wearing. Early on in my crossdressing I took the advice of transgender friends that said “women don’t wear pantyhose anymore” or “women don’t wear skirts”, and during that period the joy of crossdressing significantly declined. I was seriously thinking to stop socializing with the local transgender community, stop going out in public and try to enjoy crossdressing mainly at home (probably would have got bored and stopped completely). Thankfully, I came to the state where I am now - enjoying my crossdressing to its fullest

We wear whats comfy and easy to deal with---appropriate for venue or activity. See few dresses in my area, but that didn't stop me from wearing a maxidress some wks ago when walking to the bank and back. Wear what you like---but remember that the glittery bodycon party dress WILL draw attn. in the grocery store! Toni G..

Women don't wear "that" anymore... but I still do!
    I won't pretend to speak for all, but the following is my personal view that certainly applies to me...
    I associate certain articles of clothing as the epitome of femininity. In my endevour to present as feminine as possible, I gravitate to those items. Meanwhile, women's fashion evolves & certain articles of clothing fall out of style. Suddenly my idea of the epitome of femininity is obsolete.
    My immediate reaction is "women don't dress like women anymore". And there's the irony... women are fashion-forward & continue on with new trends or what is comfortable while also socially acceptable. Women today DO dress like women - it's me that wants to dress like a women from yesterday because that's what I like. And I get frustrated because I want them to wear what I want to SEE them wear & what I want to continue wearing myself (& still feel like I'm one of the girls).
    I guess my long-winded point is that women evolve at the same pace as fashion, whereas I'm spinning my wheels in the past.
    I'm grateful that GG's constantly switch things up - they are always breaking new trails & look beautiful while doing it.
    I'll continue to dress as I like, but I won't criticize the ladies who've moved forward.

Silver Member
    My wife keeps me in line. I have current fashion clothes. You can wear what ever you want, but remember the fashion industry wouldn't be there if women didn't follow trends. So the 50s dress doesn't look current except at a rocken theme dance or party.

It does to me . When I first got the nerve to post pics and venture outside my basement I got my first statements similar to that...thank goodness I did. It appears my first dress ups were to look like the tart I craved! lol. then simple things like no one wears the same two bracelets on different wrists or belts should be worn higher up, you're not a guy you know or this color doesn't go with that, etc., etc.. Or my favorite " "go ahead and wear that if you want to look like Al Bundy's wife". This is a learning experience for me and although this is not everyone's goal, I now strive to be passable. I know it won't happen 100% but making the attempt makes me feel good and in some cases makes me look attractive as a woman...And I love that. But alas, sometimes when I want to have some fun I dress like that good ole tart again! haha
    Last edited by Sandra; 01-18-2018 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Circumventing the word filter if **** comes up then it's on the word filter and not wanted on this forum

Ive never thought about it really. I dress much like your average woman day-to-day.....Like you might see at the store , in leggings, jeans or a blouse . I can and do dress up of course...But I would have to say Retro lingerie in any form would be mine. Other than that I'm pretty traditional...A gg friend of mine even said the same thing when she saw some of my vintage lingerie...Her exact words... " Its so pretty..but what women wear this anymore?"

Yesterday I was looking through the racks of a local thrift store and was amused by the large number of tops with shoulder pads. The 1980's were a long time ago so perhaps someone was updating their wardrobe as women don't wear that anymore.

Like the OP I wear what I want. Just maybe I may bring it back into fashion again. Remember what comes around goes around.

Kelsey

A beautiful outfit is a beautiful outfit to me!

I wear what I want as well, and it's pretty to me!

Stacy!
    STOP, Well I just dance the way I feel
    Stop breathing imagine none of this is real

Well I just dance the way I feel
    "Ou Est Le Swimming Pool"

Silver Member
    I hear that all the time... women may not wear nylons/girdles/stuff with shoulder pads/whatever, but I do. I dress to please myself. As long as I don't stand out in a negative way (like I am looking for male attention etc.) I wear what I like.

Women wore shoulder pads well into the 90s. I have a number of (professional/dressy) tops from that era and they all had shoulder pads, albeit not as large as the 80s.

AGH!!!
    Slips
    Blue eyeshadow (Google "blue eyeshadow should be illegal" - you get the idea)
    Aunty "smocks" - you asked for it
    l_blue%20abstract%20smock%20dress%20back.jpg
    white boots
    head bands
    Ten Thousand bangles
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

Admittedly, I like to dress in manner that women did when I was a child. It's the imprint in my mind how women dress.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

I don't think i am influenced by what is "in".
    I generally like fairly traditional items that are slightly more likely to be fashion resilient. (If that is really possible!)
    "The only way is onward. There is no turning back."

Every time I buy something at a thrift store there's a good chance I'm buying something that women don't wear anymore. Most women spend quite a bit on keeping up with newer fashions. Sometimes I feel like Tom Wilkinson in the movie "Normal" when he first starts buying (and wearing) used clothing.

normal movie.jpg
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

No Pantyhose,OH NO

Banned Read only
    Fashion and styles change. Evolve or go extinct.

Some of the things GG's wear less of now simply because they don't have to anymore. Like full slips for instance, they were worn not just for modesty, but to keep the dress clean, so they could wear them more than once. As many of the older older fabrics had to be dry cleaned, I remember my mom having to go to the cleaners almost every week.

Reality Check
    My goal is to look and act like a woman. So - I wear what women my age wear even if I'm not going out in public.

So among other things, I don't wear wedding dresses, tutus and hooker heels.
    Krisi

Women like me will still wear "it". :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I too am finding it hard to put together an outfit I like but is contemporary. My favorite so far is goodwill because I could find some older fasions but then so many of them make me feel like a grandma and not a pretty young lass. I did just get my first pair of leggings, which look fabulous, but now I need a blouse. Here’s hoping something nice pops up.

Back on topic, I do find it a bit disheartening now that I am looking with “fashion eyes” at the girls and 99% are in pants of some sort. Where did the skirts go?

Diane. I'm with you regarding skirts. I keep seeing statements on the forum that women don't wear them any more. However, I see them every day at lunch or at the market, even in my rather remote area. In big cities there are even more skirts and dresses. It may be winter here but I noticed skirts even now. My reasoning is that there are still banks, law firms, etc., that expect women to wear "office wear". I'm glad for that. Also, when summer comes around, even more skirts come out. When it's hot in July a lightweight skirt certainly beats mens jeans or knee length shorts.

Silver Member
    The things I wear are those that come from retail dress shops. So it's current and I do wear what women wear. But I don't follow fashion per se. From a store's fashion approved stock, I only buy what I like and it works with my body and personal style. Style is forever, fashion lasts until next week.

I usually wear by watching fashion sales on tv, and imagine what it would look on me, and then go shopping to see what's available in the mall store. I always try to bye when the season end and get great discounts, then wear it the next season. almost never pay full price for clothes. Also shop on line a lot for accessories and stuff.
    Wanting something is a fantasy which on a long time period clouds your mind and makes you think you need it.

Rayleen