Thread: Possible Crimp In Going Out

Possible Crimp In Going Out

I've been going out as Nikki for a while now and I have been going out in my own area. I work about an hour away from where I go out dressed in the opposite direction so I don't worry much about being outed. Another thing is that I work in NY which is a cause state. I can't be fired because of how I dress when not working.
    I may have an opportunity to work in my own town, here in Pennsylvania (an at will state). Working in sales and being in the area will make my dressing more risky. I am worried that if I am hired, and outed then I put my job at risk. I like the people that know Nikki (the church and stores I attend), but it may be a better opportunity for me and closer to home. My other option, is to stop dressing in town and go further away.
    I guess I'm looking for opinions or if anyone else has faced this problem. Honestly, I have maybe 4-5 years before I retire and then there is no problem.

As far as I know, in at-will employment states, you’re still protected as long as PA considers sexual orientation and gender identity as protected classes. It looks like the state of PA only considers gender identity as protected for state employees so you would potentially be at risk. Your best course of action would be to inquire with your own company’s HR department.

Banned Read only
    Nikki,
    I didn't realise it was so complicated in the US , without knowing those details I would have said your job should be safe with the current thinking about the TG community .

Do you think your employers would risk the publicity in terminating your employment ? It could have been so simple for me as I was self employed , no one could sack me but perhaps I wouldn't have had customers either !

In "At will" states, "You can be fired for a good reason, a bad reason, or no reason at all,"

Montana is the only state that isn't "at will"

I believe that's a quote from the Supreme Court decision.

I don't know how that stacks up with "Protected groups", either nationally.

I did some quick research, and it looks like there are different protected classes for employment and housing, and maybe others

The following characteristics are "protected" by federal law:
    Race – Civil Rights Act of 1964.
    Religion – Civil Rights Act of 1964.
    National origin – Civil Rights Act of 1964.
    Age (40 and over) – Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967.
    Sex – Equal Pay Act of 1963 and Civil Rights Act of 1964.

To begin, there are seven federally “protected classes” under the Fair Housing Act:
    Race.
    Color.
    Religion.
    Sex.
    Handicap.
    Familial Status.
    National Origin.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

( Your best course of action would be to inquire with your own company’s HR department. )
    this is a place to start , quietly without outing your self

There problem is that while I'm looking at a larger organization, it still is privately owned and the owner is a bit of an urbane redneck. I have worked for him before in sales and management.
    It's just in the past I was still closeted and now I'm more out and about and not really looking to end up back in the closet. Like I said I could work local and travel a bit further to dress. I guess I'll have to see where I end up working and make adjustments accordingly.

Pardon my politics but this is why we need federal protection for sexual orientation and gender identity.

It would be great to be able to be who we want to be with out worry. Maybe some day our dressing will be a non issue.

I would recommend you seek legal advice from an attorney familiar with civil rights law in Pennsylvania. Another factor to consider is would you be happy if your opportunity to dress is impacted.