Thread: I got my first compliment while out shopping!

I got my first compliment while out shopping!

Hi everyone,
    I just received my first genuine compliment from a complete stranger while out in public and I just had to post about it!

I was out shopping for the day in Westfield Shopping Centre in London, something I only get to do rarely as I don't really get the chance to go out en-femme much at all. Anyway, after visiting a few shops and making some purchases (I'll post a longer story about the day with photos later), I went into John Lewis as I needed some new Wolford Tights (my absolute favourites!). On taking them to the cash desk, there was a lovely (and very pretty!) lady there who was very welcoming and friendly, treating me totally as a normal female without hesitation. Then totally out of the blue, while ringing up my purchase, she said "I love your lipstick, it's a fabulous colour". I was really shocked and it took me a couple of seconds to smile and thank her. She then went on to say how she loved lipstick and shades of red, but that she couldn't get away with the darker shade I was wearing due to her skin tone and the fact that she was Asian.

I couldn't believe what was happening here. Not only was I being treated as a lady just out shopping for tights, I was having a natural conversation with a total stranger about my makeup and how she was a bit jealous of it!

Needless to say, I left with a huge smile and almost floated out the store. It was a massive confidence boost in my journey into the outside world and really gave me a renewed faith in my dressing and how I look. I hope that many others of you have had the same experience or will do in the future as I really can't convey how wonderful it feels!

Anyway, for what was meant to be a short post, I just wanted to say to anybody who hasn't done it yet, get out there and be confident, you really won't regret it.

Hugs,
    Paula xxx
    Living on the edge might be dangerous, but it has an awesome view!!

well done.

I think some girls just "get it" when we dress well.
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

Banned Read only
    Sometimes you need so small things to make your day

Paula,

I know just what you mean. I've been lucky enough to have the same sort of interaction with SA's. One commented how much she liked the dress I was wearing and on another occasion there were 3 SA's behind the counter, one remarked about the colour of my nails which lead to a conversation with all 3 about how a friend of mine had once had temperature sensitive nail varnish and just how lovely that looked.

I had occasion to return some holdups that didn't to the store. While doing the card return payment etc. The SA chatted about her experience with holdups and how moisturising her legs adversely effected her ability to wear them without them falling down. Now that's what you call sharing.

Being engaged in conversation just like any other person, and I deliberately distinguish between person and customer, is just a wonderful experience. For me it helps restore my faith in humanity.

So I'll echo your comment. Get out there and be confident. We often say dress to blend but another way of looking at it is dressing to show you're like them. Just trying to look nice, not flashy, not shouting "look at me". Do that and you become an affiliated member of their club.

Yes, it does feel good to get compliments.

I've had two different women compliment my dress (one in the ladie's bathroom), a waitress compliment my nail color, and a sales agent want the color of my lipstick. But my favorite was while trying on dresses at Nordstrom, and wearing the dress in my avatar, another customer walked by me (I was outside the fitting room talking to an SA) and said "so cute." I loved it.

Congratulations on your positive experience. It is always nice to get and give compliments.

Banned Read only
    I guess we dress more with a stile than ordinary girls do. There is some 'berry' in it

Banned Read only
    Paula,
    It's always good to read stories like yours , sometimes they not be much but they do give that little boost , to be complimented by a GG especially in a store like John Lewis is so lovely.

I have to be careful how I word this but we are lucky in the West in having fair skins , it does gives us a huge range of choices in makeup and how we can change our look, the same goes for hair/wigs .

I was out but in drab only today and had a quick trawl through the charity shops for brown boots and a brown belt to go with my slim fit brown cords , and bingo I struck gold . A lovely pair of tan heeled ankle boots in my size and a stylish leather belt. I asked the SA if I could try the boots , they fitted perfect so I walked down to the sales counter to show her, she gave me a wow and said how good they looked . As you say it doesn't happen until you bite the bullet and go out , even if it's a quick shop in drab .

When I arrived home I slipped on the cords and boots threaded the belt through , it really did make a smart everyday look , so it looks like I've broken the ice into wearing women's trousers .

Isn't it amazing how wonderful that feels? And in fact it cost nobody anything - she was simply believing your unspoken story of who you are and treating you like an ordinary human being. And it's telling that people believing us and treating us as ordinary can have such a profound effect on us. Congratulations!
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Silver Member Stephanie Julianna's Avatar
    There is something fabulous about receiving a compliment about anything being a part of pur femme persona. When I was younger, I thought that turning the head of a man at some of the clubs I used to frequent was a testament to my feminine image. However, as I have gotten plder it is so much more rewarding when another woman compliments my shoes or dress or hair. Their opinion is so much more important to me now.

A lovely story and what a boost to your self-confidence.
    As long as you are polite and appreciative of the SA's I have found they will be very pleasant in return.
    By the way, you say you live in both Yorkshire,UK and also Egypt. It would be interesting for you to contrast your experience as a cross dresser in each country.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I'm not sure about the UK, but in the USA I often get compliments from the female employees in Vegas.

While any compliment is appreciated? What I really enjoy is those from the other female customers there! They aren't being paid and don't have to be nice!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Read only
    Stephanie J,
    I guess I cherish the opinions of GGs more for several reasons , one possibly being down to the rejection by my wife , to a point I understand that . To receive a response from a guy could mean another motive , which has happened on one occasion but compliments from GGs and not all because they want to make a sale with you really feel special. Maybe it's the suggestion of being accepted as one of them . I know it's also something they don't expect from a guy that they can get an outfit together and actually look good in it , which was the theme of a recent thread of mine .
    Last edited by Teresa; 01-22-2018 at 01:52 AM.

I have had a couple of compliments from a SA at the return counter just the other day while returning a pair of silky pale blue pajamas I had bought that turned out to be a bit small. I was in drab. A little background, I'm 71, 6'3" tall and 189 pounds. I take great care of my skin, hands and nails always keeping them shaped and buffed to a polish. Anyway I told the SA I was returning them because they were too small but I was going to purchase the same pajamas one size up. I'm assuming she thinks I'm returning them for my wife. She picks up the PJ'S and feels the material and comment how nice the fabric felt. I commented without thingies yes the material is very nice and they are comfortable also. She looked at me and said Oh these are for you? Well I'd been caught and said yes they are. She just looked at me for a couple of seconds and breaks into a huge genuinely natural smile and says cool. There was no one waiting behind me and repeated that's really cool. As she was handing me my change she saw my manicured polished nails and she looks at me smiling and say, man your making me feel bad. I said why and she says can I feel your hands and I said yes. She said your hands are so much softer than mine and your nails put mine to shame. We talked for awhile until another customer came up. Could not believe the genuine acceptance from a middle aged woman in the middle of souther red neck country. That conversation kept a smile on my save for severaldays.

Compliments are so reassuring! I have had them mostly for my fingernails(color 24/7) and my earrings(pearls)! It just feels so good! Have also had extended conversations with various ladies on both! Take them when you can get them! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Had that happen to me years ago I had just left church went shopping at the corner market. When a couple of ladies came up to me and how good I looked that on one goes to church dressed anymore. I thank them and told I was meeting friends later that why I was shopping . Which was true but it did make my day. In fact my avatar is the outfit I had on that day.
    GLENDA
    I FEEL LIKE A WOMAN

Just do it already! DaisyLawrence's Avatar
    I love it when that sort of thing happens. Glad you had a great day. Hopefully you have inspired others.

Silver Member
    Good for you! Isnt it a wonderful feeling?

I'd like to say I don't crave compliments, but it just isn't true. Any kind of compliment makes my day, even my week! The SA's I deal with are quite generous. They tell me they look forward to seeing what I wear in my next visit. Even my wife can be moved to tell me she likes my skirt or my dress. But the most amazing time was in a mall. A total stranger, ie not an SA, stopped me and told me how nice I looked in my skater skirt outfit. It all tells me I'm going in the right direction with my clothing choices.

Isn't it great to get a compliment from a GG?
    Once, the SA at a store said,"that's a cute outfit" about the outfit I was shopping in. Caught me by surprise, but made me smile the rest of the day.