Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many others see this forum as a bit of therapy?

Silver Member
    For me, its been a fantastic rabbit hole to a whole new world of girls like me with challenges, desires and fears like mine. I've learned so much and have given what I could. I would never have met other girls had it not been for this wonderful forum.

For me, it really is. And it's not just that either. It's educational, motivating, and most of all fun! Only a very few people know of my dressing and I still haven't really explored all there is to explore, not by a long shot. Even though growing up I didn't know I was alone, even after learning that I wasn't, I still felt alone because I didn't know anyone else who did it. Now to have access to others who not only crossdress but are at all different stages, it's like I'm discovering a whole new side of myself that feels so feminine. And the more I explore and accept, the more right it feels. Will I ever transition? Probably not. I don't think it's for me but the more I uncover the more whole I feel so I guess you never know. Thanks to all of you for your help and support!

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    It may not be therapy, but it's helped keep me out of therapy from time to time.

- Through this forum I'm learning about situations I would never have been exposed to and it's forced me to put myself in others shoes from time to time. That has helped me grow as a person.
    - I've felt comfortable in offering advice and opinion, but only after considering multiple points of view as well as looking for my own bias before hitting the send button. I've learned humility and extent of my ignorance.
    - I've asked questions both before and after going to a therapist and that has given me a chance to see where I am compared to a larger group who all experience this in their own way. I've become a member of a community.
    - I've been afraid about my choices or feelings or where I might be headed and I've seen others who have gone that way before me with varying degrees of satisfaction or success, but it has helped build my self confidence. I have become brave knowing it's okay to struggle.
    - I've been here for just over ten years now, observing people come and go, change, transition, come out and step aside while retaining their overall goal of wanting to be happy. I understand we all move at our own pace, it's not a race and we all have our own goals.

It's not therapy, but it's made therapy a lot more productive.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    Though I did not lurk here really at all prior to signing up, it can be a form of therapy to some, to an extent.
    Really helps me when I'm away from home, unable to dress or even lounge around in heels.
    Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

I love these responses..
    .Maybe therapy isn't the right word but it helps me to maybe understand things better. You don't relate to everyones issues but, at least for me, I get a little something from many of you here. Some more than others. Until the internet came about there didn't seem to be much information around. Like many of us here, I felt like there must be something a little weird about me when it came to my dressing, sexuality and how I identified as the opposite gender

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    Therapy may not be the correct word, but it has been like a help group encounter. Growing up in a time of little CD information, you thought that you were alone and therefore a freak for being a one of a kind. Social constructs frown on anything outside there defined range of normal, and CD'ing fit into that area. This eclectic group has helped many of us see that society misses the boat in many areas by short sighted thinking.

I have learned to be accepting of myself and moved on to accepting others with out regard of the differences we may have. I look for the common ground now instead of the differences. This site has had an influence in this happening in my life. If you remove the gender titles from stores, or departments, and off of the clothes, we would quickly see that they are all just a covering for the body to keep the sun off, or to help keep us warm.
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

The word therapy works just fine for me. This site has let me know I am not alone. It has given me a small forum to tell about some of the small steps I have taken and on days like today when I just ache to be a girl, I know that I can be among people who understand.

I too was a many year lurker before joining this week. I agree this place is a great forum for therapy since there are so many knowledgable and helpful people. I am grateful this place exists.

Aspiring Member
    Franni,
    Yes, this board has helped me come to terms with my identity and enabled me to express my gender identity. For me, the sharing here has been therapeutic resulting in improved self-esteem and confidence, and overcoming shame.

THANK YOU ladies for the support!

What I appreciate is the range of support/therapy on such a wide and varied range of topics. You can get advice on the most serious of topics or at the other end of the spectrum post some photos and get some simple fashion feedback. I have never regretted joint almost a year ago after a few years of lurking.

And I cannot forget to be thankful to some truly wonderful friends I have met on this site and have been able to share our common personal insights on crossdressing and everyday life.

Don't know about the therapy aspect but the wealth of information and helpful advise is almost overwhelming! I have never had so many friends! It is a sisterhood that is so supportive and caring! I am happy to be here and am thankful for all my sisters and the mods and admins who keep us straight! Love you all! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

I would call this site educational. It has helped me figure out who I am and how it relates.
    Part Time Girl

Absolutely! This site has been great therapy and a wealth of information. Reading and participating in this group has helped me so much accepting myself for who I am and my desire to crossdress knowing I'm not alone

I suppose the forum is a bit of therapy for me, but so is gardening, fixing things, lawn mowing (sitting on a rider), hunting, fishing, cooking, music .......etc.

Can't say I ever thought of this site as providing some form of therapy. I just like to read others thoughts on a common interest and maybe learn a few things along the way.

Silver Member Stephanie Julianna's Avatar
    Without a doubt, this site is the best thing that has happened to me in years. Everyone here is wonderful and genuine. I wish there was a way that I could meet all my friends here and give them a big girly hug and say 'Thank You'.

I view this site as a safe community. It provides an outlet that I don't otherwise have. I'm grateful that it's here.

Concur with Jaimie "alwayshave" concerning therapy and Catholic guilt. Encouraged by the perception that we are normal. Admire the ability to go out, and feel OK about it. The guilt complexity and fear of being outed are large factors for me. Wondered if living in a major city gave you more acceptance to progress outward?

Aspiring Member
    Yes and no. Definitely there are people met on this forum, and then met in real life that have positively impacted me. Aunt Kelly and others stand out: introducing me to the concept of "non-binary". That was a revelation to me, and has helped me find peace.

Positive stories, and not have given me perspective. Basically: I am not alone in this 50 plus year journey with gender fluidity.

The downside of this forum: those that attack, denigrate, judge and occasional admin random deletions that just make little sense. Like all online forums, true communication can be very difficult. Lack of context is the issue, and good old "internet courage".

Carry on.

Compared with what was available many decades ago, this site is a wonderful place. Here we realise that we are part of a very large community and we are not at all abnormal. While not place one goes to for therapy in the commonly accepted definition, it is definitely THERAPEUTIC.

I'm going to say no and for the following reason. I looked up the definition of therapy in the Collins English Dictionary. It reads;

a treatment that helps someone feel better, grow stronger, etc., especially after an illness:

I think we would all agree that our CD'ing isn't an illness. I don't feel I need treatment or a cure. The same dictionary lists Counselling as;

guidance offered by social workers, doctors, etc, to help a person resolve social or personal problems

So I'm going to say I see this forum as a great place to come for counselling. What's on display here in spades is guidance and support and I've certainly benefited from that. Having that two way conduit which allows each of us to express our concerns, offer our support, receive sage advice and above all just to communicate with others who understand is just what the doctor ordered.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Hose & Heel Loving Divia. Lee Andrews's Avatar
    Therapy, support and educational for me. As others have said, great to find out you are not the only one.
    Just by reading posts I saved myself from a world of trouble last month. Came upon a RIDE check while driving dressed. First thought was to actually turn around and take off. Which would have had me chased down and stopped anyway. Remembered all the stories of others here being pulled over with positive outcomes. I sucked it up and owned the fact I was a guy all dolled up fooling not many. I must have been looking somewhat good because it didn’t register with him till I spoke in my normal voice. Lol

Oh my gosh yes!

This forum is a therapy thing for me to I look at pictures of all the other ladies on here and see what I can improve on and such. I look for ideas on how to someday exit the closet and explain to close friends and family what I do. And hopefully one day be lucky enough to get my wife’s acceptance until then I just read everyone’s posts and continue to build ideas thanks for a great thread

I'm relatively new here, but I've really enjoyed a lot of the posts, especially the ones where our GG friends have expressed their views and feelings. Really looking forward to the journey of personal improvement and getting to know the others on the forum! Excellent website.