Thread: Job Possibilities...

Job Possibilities...

Everyone,

I could have a problem that could collide with my transition. I interviewed with a company before I made my decision to transition. I reached out to find out if they had made a decision yet on the position. They haven't, and it turns out I'm still be considered. The company doesn't know of my transition, I'm trying not to freak out. I know I don't have the job, but I've started HRT, and living as myself outside of work. At current job HR and I have a idea around the summer is when I'd come to work as Joan. If I get an offer from this other company, ack.

Has anyone been mid, or started transition and switched jobs? I know this is all up in the air, just the fact that I interview male and now I'm transitioning... ok, I'm repeating myself.

Help, advise, kind words... etc, etc..
    Last edited by Joan.Meredith; 01-26-2018 at 10:29 AM.
    Joan Meredith,
    Slow to live the dream
    I'll get there when I get there

Silver Member
    How does the new company rate on HRC'S scale. If it is a score of 100, you may want to disclose through their HR department. New territory for a lot of companies even if they do score 100.

Megan has a good approach, if the firm has a good HR department, be open with them. The last thing a new employer wants is surprises from new higher. Some companies may freak, others will say thanks for telling us.
    No mater how they react, remember there are other companies out there. If you show this company that you are open and honest, then they can’t tell others if they ask about you, that you hit them with a surprise.

Be comfortable being yourself. Show others you are confident in your decision. You will find a place to work that accepts you as you are. Honesty is always the best policy.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

Joan,

Have you gone thru a legal name and gender change? If so, then definitely let them know. If not then probably best to wait until you have made the switch.

I have had employment agencies call me and contact me by e-mail after I started living 24/7 as Grace. I immediately let them know about having gone thru a legal name and gender change. Have not received any negative reactions. Now, I do live in California and discrimination against trans persons is illegal. It could be different for others in states without legal protections. One agency offered me a temporary job after notifying them by e-mail of my change. In my e-mail I included a pdf of the court order.

This is one where only you can decide. Get all the info. HRC rating for example.

And think about how this opportunity stacks up against others and what's your best guess as to other options. Be super realistic.

If you take a job and i gets in way of your current transition plans you will have a major problem.

Then be super super realistic and honest about your transition plans.
    If you can hold off for some time and get by. Then you have options.

When I started transition it was a juggernaut in my life and in my experience that's the best chance for success in transition. But making good money is also a hugely helpful aid in a successful transition. Working and saving was part of my strategy

Be selfish. What's best for you?
    Don't worry about stuff that may or may not be.

Good luck. Tough decision.