Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Telling Mom Tonight

Telling Mom Tonight

I have been considering coming out to my mom for a while now. I have exhaustively considered the issue from every angle I can. I have received the advice of people on this forum (see post titled "Coming out to my mom"). I have talked it over with my counceler. I have made multiple charts listing pros and cons.

I have come to the conclusion that I should tell her. And I will be telling her this evening. About 4 hours from now.

Life is too short. Time is too precious. I believe this is the right decision for both of us.

Briefly, here are my reasons for my decision:
    1: No more lies.
    2: She will probably discover me anyways, if she hasn't already. She lives with me. If I start the conversation, I can have more control over the direction it takes.
    3: She does already know a little from my teenage years. She knew about the lingerie then, and she was supportive. This is a lot more than just the lingerie fetish it was then, but it is a good sign.
    4: I don't want to live my life regretting what might have been.
    5: I have considered the worst possible response that still feels like it could reasonably still happen. I can live with that scenario. At worst, I see it becoming a DADT situation. This is based on what I know about her specifically. I also consider the most likely outcome to be at least more supportive than DADT. Possibly a bit of weirdness for a while, but an overall positive experience.
    6: There are so many good things that could come from this. I feel like we could become much closer if we can talk freely about this.
    7: I need to be Jasmine part of the time. Only being Jasmine in the middle of the night is not fulfilling my needs.

There is much more I can say on this subject, but I will save that for another time. I have written 44 pages in my journal in the last 3 days. All trying to figure out what I should do.

When I go to talk to her tonight, I will have a few brief notes on paper so I can make sure I cover the most important things.

well, hope all goes well. Do keep us posted

Hope it goes well for you Jasmine.
    Part Time Girl

Good luck. Remember this is the start of the conversation, not the end.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

I see only good coming out of you telling Mom. I'm not sure I would say that if you did not live with her. You have much joy ahead of you in my opinion. Do keep us posted on what happens and good luck.

Walking around with your "secret" is like carrying a load of bricks on your back. Every time you come out to someone you shed one of the bricks. I think you're doing the right thing by coming out to your mother. Best of luck to you.

I'm in the same position as you and I would like to tell my mom for the same reasons. I suspect my mother kinda knows about me, but it would be nice to verbally say it. Hope all goes well!

just a note of preparedness....yesterday a trans guy came to our LGBT club, she had told her mom of this the night before, mom freaked and tossed her out, i know no details but have seen the bad side of this, i think because it is still a power or control issue for moms and dads ???? so maybe have a plan in place if things go south....just sayin....im rootin for you.....i think with the history youve shared it will go well for you and your not doing a tah-dah moment and you sound like you have your ducks in a row....hoping this makes you closer to your mom it has ever been.
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

I think your reason #2 is compelling. If you start the conversation you will have more control over it. For myself, I am out to everyone who is truly important in my life, and my life is definitely better because of it. You have obviously put enough serious thought into this to make it reasonable to proceed. Have courage, Jasmine dear, and good luck to you.
    I am a vessel of the goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.

The avvy pic isn't me
    Best wishes Jasmine!

I hope there is joyous introduction, understanding and a happy new awakening out there in my home state tonight!

Best wishes for a positive outcome
    Teri Ray Rural Idaho Girl.

Thank you everyone for your encouraging words!

About three hours ago, I told my mother that I am a crossdresser. She is okay with that.

Half an hour ago, I became Jasmine, and I introduced myself to my mother. She is okay with that too.

Okay, so long version now. I came home from work, and I asked if we could turn off the TV so we could talk. I could tell she was getting ready for bad news. I told her that I had discovered something about myself, and I felt that she needed to know. And then I just said it. "I am a crossdresser". The look in her eyes said it all. I saw relief. She was relieved that I hadn't sat her down to tell her something terrible had happened. And that was the point. She didn't see that as terrible.

The hardest part over, I continued on to explain more about what being a crossdresser meant to me. I won't go over all of the things we said, but there were a few points that I needed to make sure she understood first. I am not gay. I do not want to crossdress in public. I do not want a sex change operation. I know that none of those are bad things, but it is important for her to understand what my revelation meant. I told that while I hoped for more, I only felt I had a right to expect two things from her. I wanted her acceptance, and I wanted her to keep my secret.

It was hard to gauge her state of mind throughout all of this. She was definitely thrown by it. She had questions. I answered them as best I could. I talked about the possibility of being Jasmine in front of her. She wasn't sure how she felt about that. She was willing to give it a shot. I made sure she understood that if she wasn't okay with it, she could tell me and I would not do it in front of her anymore. Except she might still catch quick glimpses of me. But I wouldn't hang out as Jasmine in front of her. We agreed that she would "meet" Jasmine after dinner, and after a brief introduction, we could see where that left us. We would keep it brief so she could have time to process things.

After our conversation, we didn't talk about it anymore. I wanted to give her time to process what we had talked about so far. Dinner proceeded as normal.

After dinner, I got changed. I got myself ready, and I called down the hall. "Mom, is it alright if I show you Jasmine for a few minutes?" After getting the okay, I slowly walked out. She took one look at me and got a big grin on her face. She told me "That is a really nice dress. It suits you." That was probably the best thing she could have said to me. We hugged, and we talked for a bit. She even agreed to loan me some of her earrings.

I really think that waiting until after dinner was enough for her to work stuff through in her head. She was much more at ease about it when I came and talked to her as Jasmine. I am feeling really good about everything now. Telling her was definitely the right choice.

well done.
    I suspect most mums will react the same (dads not so much)
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

Jasmine, so glad you had a positive outcome, I am so Happy for you and your mom
    Your never wrong if you do the right thing

Just do it already! DaisyLawrence's Avatar
    Jasmine. You've made my day, thank you.

So happy for you Jasmine. You give a lot of us hope. I too need to tell my mother and believe she will have a similar reaction however I am still very new to this so once I really know where I am then I can present to her. Out of curiosity did your mom inspire your name in any way or for that matter any bit of Jasmine?

Aspiring drama queen Isabella Ross's Avatar
    JR...so happy for you. How can we truly accept ourselves if we can ask for acceptance from the ones we love?

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    I admire the way you worked through the decision, writing it all out, considering other people's advice, taking your time, and I'm glad your mum handled the news maturely. What a scary moment for her, wondering if she was about to learn something terrible.

May I very respectfully disagree with this sentence from your earlier post: 'I only felt I had a right to expect two things from her. I wanted her acceptance, and I wanted her to keep my secret.'

Why did/do you feel you have a right to expect anything from her? You're an adult, responsible for yourself. Your rightful expectations of protection and unconditional love expired when you turned 18, in the eyes of the law. Her feelings are her own, and in choosing to tell her your news you took responsibility for dealing with her reaction, whatever it might have been. It was your gamble, not hers, and the same goes for keeping your secret: when you take somebody into your confidence you may hope they will keep your secret, but you can't reasonably expect them to- again, it was your gamble.

To my mind it would be reasonable to say that you hoped for acceptance and her agreement to secrecy, but not to expect it of her.

I wonder if she will come back to you with further questions and concerns? - quite likely I would think.

I wouldn't consider telling my mother. I'm glad your relationship with yours is such that you felt able.
    I used to have a short attention spa

so happy for you....you know what kool moms like
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

Congratulations mothers or sometimes unpredictable i’m glad it worked out for you

So glad that it went well for you. You don't have to keep Jasmine a secret in your own home.

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you! If I tear up a bit it's because I never had that opportunity with my Mom (she died before I came to understand myself.) After all these years, your Mom finally got to meet you. I wish you both the best from here on. But remember, the conversation isn't over.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

The greatest gift, a mother's love.

A well thought out strategy, I am glad it worked out well for you.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

That is fantastic. I purposefully did not reply earlier as my disclosure to my parents was not the outcome anyone wanted. I think your mom will find having a daughter around is a great thing. I look forward to hearing more about jasmine spending time with her mom.