Thread: What’s in a name?

What’s in a name?

Ok, so this is important...at least to me.

I am prepping my forms (legal and social security) for my name change.

I have been using “Cristine” and I like it. I like the subtle difference from traditional. But, but...but... everyone spells it “Christine.” I fully understand and “get it!” That is, after all, the traditional spelling.

So...I am leaning toward spelling it the traditional way with the “h”.

Ok, girls: what say you? Yes, I know ultimately it is my call, just looking for alternate thoughts and experiences before I finally commit.

I do have a middle name chosen, and no, it’s not going to be embarrassing as initials or a monogram....lol.

C
    Smile! You'll always brighten someone's day, including your own from their return smile!

I do love the name Cristine. But when I was getting ready for the name change I played around with a Celtic female version of my male name -- Padraigin. I kind of liked the sound and the look of it but then I realized I'd be dooming myself to having to spell it out for people for the rest of my life. I decided I had always been known as Pat and I would just continue being known as Pat and made that my legal first name. Nobody has a problem spelling that. So, my feedback is ask yourself if you want to always have to say "That's Cristine - without the H." (Though it could be fun say "Get the H out of there," but it would get old over time.)
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Hi Chrissi
    Interesting question. I am also currently awaiting the documentation that legally makes me Sara Olivia. Like you, with Cristine, I prefer Sara without the "h". Have to say though that every single time someone asks me about my name the question is always "Is that with an h or without. It does get a bit tiresome after a while. I never really gave much thought to that issue initially but perhaps in a year or two from now I will be wondering why I chose a name that will forever result in questions in regard to its spelling.

Sara, you’re doomed either way...lol...I know several Sarah’s & several Sara’s. It’s the same with Hannah v Hanna or, at least, to some it is. I’d always use the ending h.

What’s up with “H”...?

I did have a sales associate ask if mine was with a “Ch or K” for the dressing room door...that sort of prompted this question. Regardless, I have been mulling this over for sometime, or is that irregardless...lol (I know the later is not a word).

Thanks too Pat. I actually know another Pat: Padriac. Of course everyone butchers his name...including me perhaps.
    Like you, I kept the root of my assigned name: Christopher. I was called Chris or Chrissi growing up. I hated Chris, because it was used as a boys name...but long ago a realization occurred that my name is androgynous in its shortened form, and I rather liked that people could assume that I was possibly a girl without knowing more about me. .

I should be sleeping,
    C
    Smile! You'll always brighten someone's day, including your own from their return smile!

I chose a very common name for my first name. There’s no question on how to pronounce or spell it. It makes life easier when I’m meeting new people.

I did the unique thing with my middle name though! My legal middle name is the same as my forum name here.

I suggest staying traditional with the CH, but if you really desire some variance go with the K. At least that way it won't look like a typo and prompt questions from admin folk, store clerks, etc., at a time when you are trying to fit in and not stand out.
    Marie

Reality Check
    Just don't spell it "Krisi"!

Seriously, names with odd spelling require you to constantly spell out your name for people. My real last name is not complicates but it's a bit uncommon and I have to spell it out or people get it wrong. If I had the choice I would be "John Smith". Or if female, "Jane Smith".
    Krisi

Banned Read only
    May not matter , but I've noticed that "alternate" spellings, or unusual names , i.e. " stripper" names, are usually a giveaway , particularly if you're older.
    Just my opinion.

I like both spellings
    I that was the I was going to pick for a legal middle name currently its Craig but i want to feminize my first name ( taken from my given name an use the c from Craig for Christine. Good namd choice
    Carpe Noctem

Cheyenne Hyde

"You may never exceed, your own expectations, of yourself"

http://s46.photobucket.com/user/MsHyde2u/library/
    (the password is feminine)

Aviatrix in Waiting Melanie Moxon's Avatar
    If a name has a traditional spelling people will unfortunately default to that, but it shouldn't stop you from choosing the name you want

I am still labouring over what name to choose for myself. I want to keep the same initial, M, I have a few in mind; Maria, Melanie and Melissa are top of the pile at the moment, with Melanie at the top.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Or in my case, they ignore the traditional spelling and go for variants suggested by the misspelling adopted by a certain bajan singer. So I get (sometimes all of these in the one memo):
    • Rhianna
    • Rihanna
    • Riannha
    • Riana
    but very rarely Rianna which is the historically correct spelling
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Cristine is a variation of a Spanish name Cristina. In Spanish almost all words have a gender,, what I love. most females word in Spanish end with an "a" or a sound like that.
    So if you like Cristine without the h probably the pronunciation would be different, I don't know.
    My last name is two words, is a very special Hispanic last name. It gaves me some troubles in the US because people get the first part as a middle name and cut it, so after learn that is part of my last name they like it and say is different.
    So if I were in your situation I would go for Cristine, is your name, remember you're changing your name, your legal situation and I think a lot of things to be who you really are, so why are you going to modified the name you like to giving up for what people uses or like?
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

Honestly, I feel that if I do decide to transition regardless of the consequences, I think I'll keep my rather non feminine name and just change my middle to one that sounds similar but is definitely female. Names are such personal things, spell your name however you wish to spell it.
    Last edited by geek; 03-16-2018 at 06:36 AM.
    Most any thing I post is from my phone, this is why my answers are short and also why I don't post all to often.

I hate repetitive tasks. If I can eliminate a routine or automate it somehow, I will. Despite that, my wife has a weird first name and I've never been frustrated having to spell it out to people every time (and I must do that fairly often because they have a phobia of phones). It's just a chore that goes with having a special name. So, if the alternate spelling feels special enough to you to warrant the chore of spelling it out to people (or at least saying 'without an h' in your case), go for it!

You might also try visualizing how you might feel in the distant future after saying 'without an h' a few hundred times. If you can think of anything similar you have to do repetitively, think about whether that bothers you. There are certain things everyone has to do daily or weekly and I think after you get used to them they usually become routine and you don't think about them at all.