Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maybe why many men dress as women

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    I read this article with a bit of cynicism at the start. The more I read the more I saw my life from childhood to today. I used to do those internet surveys that ask, do you have a male or female brain, and would dismiss most of it because I would come up with anywhere between 50-50 to 60-40 male and justify that everyone has a mix of both. Now after reading this article and seeing so much of me in it, maybe my inner anger isn't about this thing I called a fetish, but a deep seated desire to just be me! I have dressed more and more in the last 15 years, is it just me expressing a part of me that was repressed continually through my life?

I had a friend in school from grade 1 through 9 that described her perfectly. She was the quintessential Tom-boy. I have known more than one female that fit into the category and they ended up in the lesbian community.
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

Calling it a disorder makes no sense to me. It's only called a disorder because most people don't like it!
    I love to dress, I find it enjoyable to dress up as some women do.

I curious what a person is like if they don't have some type of disorder.

I know people who are so called control freaks and think they know what's best for everybody!
    People who gamble all their money away, druggies, cheating spouses, hoarders, people obsessed with making money, people who don't like to work, etc. etc. etc.

I can't think of anybody I know who doesn't have some type of disorder!

I know some women who don't like dresses or makeup or dressing fem, do they have a disorder?
    Last edited by Judy-Somthing; 01-30-2018 at 10:40 PM.
    "This is ME" I am not CRAZY, I'm just a GUY who likes dresses!
    Since allot of men dress up in woman's clothing that makes it a manly thing to do!
    Much more fun than fishing.
    I do construction like house building and I love CD-ing, what's the difference?

I read it and calling it a disorder. It seems to me that was older psycho thoughts and not why we do it.
    Part Time Girl

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    Sorry, but I fail to see an issue with the term "disorder."

A quick check from a dictionary...? A disturbance in physical or mental health or functions; malady or dysfunction

Why do so many see a therapist -- including members here? Because something is bothering them in their life.

The author is a therapist. This is how they speak in clinical terms... You know, behind your back & in your file notes.

Particularly 15-20 years ago.

And yes, we are all special, unique snowflakes... But after seeing a few "blizzards" worth, I could imagine one begins to see some patterns to it all. This is why psychology can be considered as a science.

Not sure why the "hate". She's just trying to figure it all out -- and do her job by treating the patient. And that treatment includes evaluations for hormones & surgeries for TS's.

Wait... Are we even still "allowed" to use the term "transsexual" anymore?

Very interesting read, thanks. I agree that some of the language used is dated, but there's nothing new about crossdressers--we've always been there. I identified with a lot of the paper, but especially this:

"Some individuals with mild gender dysphoria come to terms with their cross-dressing/cross-gender behavioral needs and may even celebrate them with public presentations."

I came to terms with my crossdressing at an early age and have "celebrated" it with public presentations. As have many here. It's who I am. I guess I have a new term, "mild gender dysphoria".

I found it interesting and can relate to some of it. Experiencing crossdressing first hand I do not believe he understands. Most of his theories, this is a unprofessional opinion based on experience, are incorrect. This is just my opinion.

The word hypothesize being used suggests that there is a lack of scientific studies to prove the hypothesis. The hypothesis is interesting and may be true or partly true. What I see is three groups being put under one umbrella, Gender Expression Deprivation Anxiety Disorder (GEDAD) which is a bit different than the old Transvestite/Transexual categories..
    We probably all have (or have had) some anxiety regarding expressing our fem selves don't we? Being a closet CD has caused anxiety for me throughout my life. I can relate to GEDAD more than GID.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Aspiring Member
    I've been hesitating to respond to this thread, but I almost feel as if she used me as an example of G3 in her paper. Fits me to a "T". At this stage and for most of my life I've felt like transition would be wrong for me and leave me equally unhappy. However dressing is immensely satisfying, and greatly helps my sense of dysphoria. With dressing, I can cope with being male.

I see a lot of folks getting triggered by the article's use of the word 'disorder', and another member posted a definition of the term.

Since not everyone has the urge to dress, or has feelings of dissatisfaction with their gender, would it be fair to say that those of us in this community are 'out of step' with the majority of the population? Dare I say abnormal, from what society expects or condones regarding specific gender behavior.

And if that is so, then how should we refer to the CD/TG elements of our personalities? If you don't like 'disorder', how about 'syndrome'? Or, 'condition'? Or, 'malady'? Do the words 'situation', 'lifestyle choice', 'deviation', or 'fetish' strike your fancy better?
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!

An interesting read. The language of calling our condition disorders etc. doesn't bother me as that is the language of the time the piece was written.

The type 3 fits me to a degree. It isn't a huge deal that causes me difficulty in functioning if I don't get to dress.

Thanks for posting this, Jenny.

i think we had a thread on this article a couple of years ago. The author does their best given their level of insight.
    The embryonic T-level rationale was previously in a book called "Brain Sex" that I remember reading in the mid 90's.

My own experience as a therapist has led me to see that the full spectrum of human variation exists inside every demographic. There are no "types" of TG males for us to see, just people whose expression has manifold different forms and degrees of dysphoria, sexual needs, friendship needs. There are so many possible life-conditioning causes leading a person into feminine lifestyles, including foetal hormone levels, chilhood traumas and defining moments.

If the article helps someone make sense of their own situation, then great, but if it adds confusion to someone else?

Having discovered my own transness, I can't answer why men crossdress from personal experience, not since knowing i'm a woman in a male body. Now, as to my observations from trans meetings I've attended, there are some reasons I can glean:

1. it's an excuse to meet up with other males, also cross-dressed, for sex outside of otherwise hetero marriages
    2. it meets an emotional need that could be sexual or other
    3. because they love to bring out their otherwise suppressed feminine side.
    4. they're trans but don't know it yet
    5. plenty more ...
    xx
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er